Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boycott the Vote!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
Who on earth cares whether or not you voted in the Flyertalk Talkboard election? Personally I think the avatar is great, and I am proud to show that I did my small part in helping make FT a better place.
Ditto from my perspective too. ^
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Is this just the controversy, of real or feigned outrage, "needed" in order to ramp up interest and vote counts?
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:00 am

Programs: Adrift in a sea of FF programs
I always intended to vote but had forgotten about it until I saw someone's "I voted" avatar. So it was a helpful reminder for at least myself.

I, too, don't see what the big deal is.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:03 am

Am I missing something? I haven't seen any voting logos? Does this disappear for those of us who are FT premium users?

Anyway, does it really matter who knows whether you've voted or not? As others have put it, somewhat more succinctly than I, it's not as if TB is a form of government or the like. At the end of the day, IJAIBB.....
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
In the US, when you go to vote, they give you a sticker that says, "I voted". You're not forced to wear it, but most citizens are *proud* to vote, and display it so. I guess from your reaction it's not the same up north.

As Canarsie has pointed out, you can turn this avatar off, so I don't see what the issue is.
The issue to me is that, by slapping the avatar on and not telling people that you can turn it off, it is forcing people to wear the sticker until they figure out that they don't have to wear it at all. This is why, IMO, the "I Voted" sticker analogy in real life isn't comparable -- the poll worker doesn't come and slap the sticker on you, then not tell you that you can take it off.

I'm glad to know that the avatar can be removed. I just wish that this were better noted up front, though.

Mike
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Am I missing something? I haven't seen any voting logos? Does this disappear for those of us who are FT premium users?
In your profile, there is an "Enable Avatars" checkbox.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is this just the controversy, of real or feigned outrage, "needed" in order to ramp up interest and vote counts?
Maybe Karl Rove is doing a bit of side work at FT?
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Wow GU, I think you may be on to something here
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:19 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by airbus320
However an unintended consequence of that initiative was to infringe upon the principle of voter anonymity.
When I first saw the "I voted" tag, I immediately thought, "oh my," and I agree with airbus320 and the initial sentiment of Shareholder that these tags are a bad idea and ought to be removed.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:28 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
A related question: For a FTer who hasn't voted, could they still go and activate the "I Voted" avatar (without actually voting)?

I obviously can't test this myself, having already voted!
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Shareholder
For an American to set the standards for any democracy with respect to voting is a huge April Fools Joke. Your country set the standard for rendering the very concept of democracy meaningless with the 2000 Presidential vote where the candidate receiving the most votes lost!
This method is a result of the U.S. having been formed in the 1770s from colonies that had equal status and wanted to retain some measure of equality despite size differences. It hardly renders "the very concept of democracy meaningless."

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Further, the USA is the only country that requires those wishing to vote to register the party they intend to support!
This is simply not true. The U.S. requires those wishing to vote in a primary, where each party's nominee is chosen, to indicate which party's candidate they want to help select. Most other countries also have some method by which only the members of a party select that party's candidate. This has nothing to do with the final election, is in no way a statement of intention, and is in any case not required.

If you want to comments on the election system of a country other than your own, it would be a good idea to learn the facts of its system first. (It would also be a good idea, as previously posted, to make those comments where they are on-topic.)
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
The first I knew of this logo existing was after reading this thread.

As ScottC mentions above, it was not discussed by the present TalkBoard, or advised to us.

I am actually not against the broad concept, as a high voter turnout ensures a more representative TalkBoard reflecting a wide vote. ^

I do however feel the post below does address an important issue.

Originally Posted by sobore

I say more choices of Avatars! ^

These are good, but maybe a nice Uncle Sam head would do the trick!

So far no-one except this post has commented on why there are (at least) two different avatars around.

I am not sure why more than one Avatar design is needed, if it was decided by Admin that an "I voted" designator was good policy.

I personally would be offended to have the USA red/white/blue flag one next to my handle, as I am not American. As would many non Americans I feel sure. And would be appalled to find an Uncle Sam head there just as much. That is just ridiculous.

FT its a truly international board, and TalkBoard itself always has a good representation of non American residents among its members. Indeed it was a written requirement for that to be the case until quite recently.

Is that is what that one is all about - only USA registered voters get the red/white/blue flag type one? And if so why - as some folks do not publicly indicate their place of residence to FT.

Or maybe several other designs will be rolled out -- one a day etc. A Coca Cola logo on Thursday, a Donald Duck one on Saturday and a Bald Eagle one for Tuesday voters?

Randy or techs can perhaps advise on whether that kind of thing is in the pipeline? However, I see USA voters who have the gold FT logo one as I do and I respectfully suggest one logo, and one logo only is reverted to.

Glen
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AJLondon
A related question: For a FTer who hasn't voted, could they still go and activate the "I Voted" avatar (without actually voting)?

I obviously can't test this myself, having already voted!
Yes. I haven't voted yet (waiting for the bribes to come in still), but I can enable the avatar.

Still, Much Ado About Nothing IMO...
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I was operating under the assumption that the default avatar selection was the FT logo "I voted" avatar and not the US flag "I voted" avatar. Is that correct?

Perhaps more non-US-based persons can test this out. More international representation and voting is something I certainly favor around here.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Randy or techs can perhaps advise on whether that kind of thing is in the pipeline? However, I see USA voters who have the gold FT logo one as I do and I respectfully suggest one logo, and one logo only is reverted to.

Glen

I 100% agree. I live in the US and when I saw the two choices I could not understand why the US flag was one of the choices. This website is about diversity. Wasn't that one of the questions our candidates had to answer too??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.