Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boycott the Vote!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2006, 5:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Because quite simply, it is when used like this on an International Board such as FT as the only alternate avatar 'choice'.

Either have 192 different flag Avatars for all UN countries - or none. Simple really.

Glen
As you stated, the flag icon is a "choice". No one forced you to wear it, salute it, swear allegiance to it, or even acknowledge it. Jingoistic indeed....

Why stop there? The flag icon looks suspiciously like a near exact replica of the state flag of Ohio. We should have icons for the other US states, the Canadian provinces, Swiss cantons, Japanese prefectures, Australian states, and all other global political subdivisions.

Hello folks, despite the passionate pleas to the contrary, this is not patriotic resistance to unjust government actions. Please think this through. This is a privately owned website. The owner has graciously allowed the community a chance to have a say in how the site is run. Nowhere is there a requirement for this, yet some are advocating that the community refrain from participating because of an avatar ?
Old Nov 14, 2006, 6:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
How/where are you tracking voting numbers?

Glen
I'm not. I'm just joking.

More seriously, the number of posters who have an "I Voted" icon have jumped up quite a bit since the time the "controversy" broke. I'd venture to guess that the rise in the number of icons is substantially reflective of more people voting than people playing games.

Causation or coincidence? Well, that's a bit of a guessing game without a control group. But I'd be shocked if voting didn't increase -- at least somewhat more than would otherwise have been the case -- because of the avatars and "controversy".
Old Nov 14, 2006, 6:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SlowTrekker
Why would you think any image of the US flag, no matter how small or abstract, would qualify as "jingoistic"?

Unless that term has an alternate definition in Australian slang, it would seem you went out of your way to be intentionally offensive to those of us who claim US citizenship.
Is this real or feigned indignation that will raise the controversy to new heights?

FWIW or not worth, as an American, I don't find ozstamps taking issue with the alternative avatar -- at least in the absence of other choices -- to be offensive.

Now here's a bit of feigned indignation: "To intentionally take as offensive that which is inoffensive offends me".
Old Nov 14, 2006, 6:26 am
Suspended

As you stated, the flag icon is a "choice". No one forced you to wear it, salute it, swear allegiance to it, or even acknowledge it. Jingoistic indeed....

Why stop there? The flag icon looks suspiciously like a near exact replica of the state flag of Ohio. We should have icons for the other US states, the Canadian provinces, Swiss cantons, Japanese prefectures, Australian states, and all other global political subdivisions.
Here's my take:

If this is the same Ohio flag I remember, this flag on "I voted" looks even less like Ohio's flag than it does the US flag. The angle between the blue area (on which the stars rest) and the red and white stripes is such that a claim of it being more like the Ohio flag than the US flag is a canard. I suggest searching for yet another flag to try to make a point.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
This is a privately owned website. The owner has graciously allowed the community a chance to have a say in how the site is run. Nowhere is there a requirement for this, yet some are advocating that the community refrain from participating because of an avatar ?
And whatmore, the election is to elect members of his advisory committee (which I think he is pretty darned gracious to allow the community to pick vs. hand-choosing them himself).

I must clarify "sad" - because "incredulous" was also a reaction that I had. I think "sad" comes into play because there seems to be a large nucleus of people who seem to think that this site is about earning the most miles possible and meeting other folks who revel in the joy of travel. And there seems to be (to me) a minority of people who seem to think this site is about internal politics and external politics and all sorts of other contentious things. This thread seemed to be yet another reminder of the minority that doesn't want to be content to talk about points and miles and lift an occasional pint togehter at a DO... and that makes me sad (that they are missing the point entirely).
Old Nov 14, 2006, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Either have 192 different flag Avatars for all UN countries - or none. Simple really.
Why are you discriminating against Vatican City?
Old Nov 14, 2006, 6:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by techgirl
I must clarify "sad" - because "incredulous" was also a reaction that I had. I think "sad" comes into play because there seems to be a large nucleus of people who seem to think that this site is about earning the most miles possible and meeting other folks who revel in the joy of travel. And there seems to be (to me) a minority of people who seem to think this site is about internal politics and external politics and all sorts of other contentious things. This thread seemed to be yet another reminder of the minority that doesn't want to be content to talk about points and miles and lift an occasional pint togehter at a DO... and that makes me sad (that they are missing the point entirely).
I don't find this matter to be sad. I find it to be entertainingly useful.

This thread seems to be a great reminder that miles and points bring us together but it's more than that which makes the dynamics that make this place great.

Originally Posted by empedocles
Why are you discriminating against Vatican City?
ozstamps is probably ok with UN observer status holders having their flags too, if flags are to be. The Vatican, like a number of others, has UN observer status. Probably easier to shut down all flags representative of anything besides FT than to keep fulfilling flag requests.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 14, 2006 at 7:03 am
Old Nov 14, 2006, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I started this thread 24-hours ago feeling that there was a principle of personal privacy at stake here -- shared by my fellow-AC forum FTer -- as well as one of puzzlement as to why this was even done with no forwarning. I thank RP for his explanation and response. Once again it reflects the oft unintended consequences of good intentions. (Didn't we go through this when FT was revamped and we had a "rate this post" fiasco?) But like waiting for a delayed flight, we can all be understanding, if only the reasons are explained to us, and we are not kept in the dark.

Had Randy posted in advance of the opening of the polls, that this logo was going to be made available for those who vote, that they could go to such-and-such a place to "sign on", or even "sign off" (the negative option has been long banned from the marketplace, but seems to be the default on the web), and that it be limited to the most appropriate logo without denoting any national identity (FT is a world wide site), then it is likely that the original thread on the AC forum would not have been started -- though I cannot speak for my confrere -- nor would I have resorted to starting this one, and the clone over on the TalkBoard forum.

Finally, what I did find useful was the ensuing 8-pages of debate. This more than the weeks of run-up campaigning was more enlightening to me as to who I will vote for. In the end, perhaps stirring up this hornets nest will get more FTers to cast a vote. We'll have to wait until the end of the month to see.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 7:37 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
I wonder; could it be that those screaming the loudest over a simple 'get out the vote' avatar have a vested interest in NOT having a high 'turnout'?? After all, if you have low turnout it becomes much easier to 'influence' voting patterns.

FWIW, I think the avatar is a great idea. It's an unobtrusive yet present reminder that the Talkboard elections are going on. Perhaps it should be optional; IMO the vast majority of the community either doesn't care or will be happy to have it.

On the 'US flag' nonsense; the board is registered and hosted in the US. When I visit European boards, or Asian, I often see and am not offended by references to the home nation of the board. Why is it that it's ok for other countries, but 'insert deity of your choice here' forbid residents of the dirty nasty bad foul US show a bit of pride in the nation. It is optional and action must be taken to select the 'US-centric' option. I didn't even realize it was there. If one takes offence to such a trivial issue they truly do not have enough to worry about in life.

Last edited by kanebear; Nov 14, 2006 at 7:51 am
Old Nov 14, 2006, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by boilermaker
I think Randy with a top hat would look better
I'd rather see Nadine Velasquez from "My Name is Earl" with the top hat.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 7:51 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

Record Turnout Kicks Off TalkBoard Elections

This just in:
Despite record low page views from members observing the recent candidate debates, voters came out in droves during the first day of TalkBoard election balloting, surpassing more than 3,000 ballots cast so far. The first ballot was cast at 12:02 a.m. Nov. 13, another ballot at 12:03 a.m. and yet another at 12:04 a.m. proving there was early interest in the process.

Election Committee Chairman Randy Petersen was quoted as saying, "We've never seen interest in any past election as keen as this and we have high hopes that the participation in the privilege to vote on the leadership for FlyerTalk will continue over the next 13 days (voting continues until Nov. 26). As a factoid – FlyerTalk is the only major travel community bulletin board in the world which has an elected leadership."

Last edited by Randy Petersen; Nov 14, 2006 at 7:58 am
Old Nov 14, 2006, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
I started this thread 24-hours ago feeling that there was a principle of personal privacy at stake here -- shared by my fellow-AC forum FTer -- as well as one of puzzlement as to why this was even done with no forwarning. I thank RP for his explanation and response. Once again it reflects the oft unintended consequences of good intentions. (Didn't we go through this when FT was revamped and we had a "rate this post" fiasco?) But like waiting for a delayed flight, we can all be understanding, if only the reasons are explained to us, and we are not kept in the dark.

Had Randy posted in advance of the opening of the polls, that this logo was going to be made available for those who vote, that they could go to such-and-such a place to "sign on", or even "sign off" (the negative option has been long banned from the marketplace, but seems to be the default on the web), and that it be limited to the most appropriate logo without denoting any national identity (FT is a world wide site), then it is likely that the original thread on the AC forum would not have been started -- though I cannot speak for my confrere -- nor would I have resorted to starting this one, and the clone over on the TalkBoard forum.

Finally, what I did find useful was the ensuing 8-pages of debate. This more than the weeks of run-up campaigning was more enlightening to me as to who I will vote for. In the end, perhaps stirring up this hornets nest will get more FTers to cast a vote. We'll have to wait until the end of the month to see.
As the above mentionned AC confrere, I too would have not raised the issue in my home forum had I been forewarned about the intent and the process. When it comes to privacy issues, I hate any surprises.

I close with a proverb: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great news.

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
This just in:
Despite record low page views from members observing the recent candidate debates, voters came out in droves during the first day of TalkBoard election balloting, surpassing more than 3,000 ballots cast so far.

Election Committee Chairman Randy Petersen was quoted as saying, "We've never seen interest in any past election as keen as this and we have high hopes that the participation in the privilege to vote on the leadership for FlyerTalk will continue over the next 13 days (voting continues until Nov. 26). As a factoid – FlyerTalk is the only major travel community bulletin board in the world which has an elected leadership."
I am thrilled to have been an unintended minor contributor to this great success.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:06 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Because quite simply, it is when used like this on an International Board such as FT as the only alternate avatar 'choice'.

Glen
JMHO as one FTer to another; why not start your own board and flag as you please? Oh wait, that's been done already.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:07 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
This just in:
Despite record low page views from members observing the recent candidate debates, voters came out in droves during the first day of TalkBoard election balloting, surpassing more than 3,000 ballots cast so far. The first ballot was cast at 12:02 a.m. Nov. 13, another ballot at 12:03 a.m. and yet another at 12:04 a.m. proving there was early interest in the process.

Interesting. So a VAST majority of people are voting based on the names and the platforms and are more or less ignoring the 'debate.' That seems to track with most elections in real life!

The nice thing about having 3 choices of avatars (FT, Liberian or none) is that the distinctions highlight the avatars as you scroll down a page and it is impossible to miss them.

Again: great idea, Randy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.