Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:25 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by OldRedhead
It seems this may not be entirely a decision of the USPS. From their website:

I can understand not accepting mail to Lebanon if they can't even get it sent out, but I don't understand why the USPS would refuse mail to Israel. Seems to me they ought to just send it on and let the Israelis deal with what can and can't get through since they say it's only mail in the north that's affected.
As implied by your paste/link, I think there's more to this story such as, perhaps, an unauthorized email or some such.

It makes sense that no mail's getting in/out of Lebanon given the state of the airport, but there's been no impairment to commercial flights in/out of Israel that any of us FTers who follow such things are aware of; I have to assume that much of the USPS mail travels on these carriers.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:57 am

Hahahaha..... FedEx is still shipping to Israel! But not to Lebanon, apparently. And I thought their planes and pilots could get those packages to anywhere.....
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:13 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
I have been away from the world news and computers and the internet for a whole week. I am happy to see that Dovster and BEYflyer are still in touch and providing us with the latest updates on the situation. I have no idea where this will go and/or who is pulling the strings.

Dovster and BEYflyer and your families, please stay safe and out of trouble wherever you are.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Uh oh - no mail means Dovster's going to have to rewatch the current dvds he has until the post office opens the embargo & we can send him new ones...

Good to see the green lights lit...

Cheers.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Uh oh - no mail means Dovster's going to have to rewatch the current dvds he has until the post office opens the embargo & we can send him new ones...
That's exactly what I did today.

I sat in my living room, in the Jewish State, in the middle of July, and rewatched "Miracle on 34th Street". (The original version, with Maureen O'Hara.)

It's good to know that the U.S. Post Office can deliver mail to Santa Claus, even if it can't get it to Israel.

Meanwhile, my daughter will not be coming back tomorrow as we just got the following SMS (meant for those who have left the kibbutz):

The Security Commitee advises you not to return to the kibbutz before Wednesday evening.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:52 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Dovster
That's exactly what I did today.

I sat in my living room, in the Jewish State, in the middle of July, and rewatched "Miracle on 34th Street". (The original version, with Maureen O'Hara.)

It's good to know that the U.S. Post Office can deliver mail to Santa Claus, even if it can't get it to Israel.

Meanwhile, my daughter will not be coming back tomorrow as we just got the following SMS (meant for those who have left the kibbutz):

The Security Commitee advises you not to return to the kibbutz before Wednesday evening.
I guess your Visa card has another day to prepare for a workout.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Just heard a news story on a company which is selling movies in legal downloadable formats, for the customer to burn to a DVD. They have an encryption/anti-piracy method which is supposed to limit it to a one time burn. Initially they only have about 100 old movies available (old meaning 1960's or 70's), but they expect to grow quickly.

About $8 US per flick, I have no idea how long it would take Dov to d/l one. I know that on a dialup, it would take BEY 7 or 8 months.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
About $8 US per flick, I have no idea how long it would take Dov to d/l one. I know that on a dialup, it would take BEY 7 or 8 months.
Alas, it may not matter for a while. My TV just died.

At first I thought the cable had been hit but I checked using my DVD and TV is gone.

The small one, that I have in the shelter, is working but it is so old that it has no capability to be connected to my DVD player. Moreover, I doubt that I am going to be able to buy a new one until the war is over.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus

At first I thought the cable had been hit but I checked using my DVD and TV is gone.

The small one, that I have in the shelter, is working but it is so old that it has no capability to be connected to my DVD player. Moreover, I doubt that I am going to be able to buy a new one until the war is over.
Don't forget the laptop, can't you keep that in the shelter and watch DVDs on there?

BTW - when you daughter was called to come back, could she have said no? Is she more concerned now about returning (since she left of her own volition) since you got the warning to stay away or is she ready to come home?

Stay safe.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoingAway

BTW - when you daughter was called to come back, could she have said no? Is she more concerned now about returning (since she left of her own volition) since you got the warning to stay away or is she ready to come home?

Stay safe.
Yes, she could have refused to come back. In fact, the law guarantees it: She is not a kibbutz member but an employee -- and a special law was just passed making it illegal for any employer in the far north to fire an employee who refuses to come to work until the fighting has stopped.

And, yes, she is now more concerned about coming home.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:45 am

Programs: Amtrak slumbercoach value club
Uh oh. Hope FT is up to the task to keep you sufficiently entertained.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:52 am

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Dov,

That has to be a bummer having lost your TV. I would think that it shouldn't be that hard to find a TV when you are at the Mall and Lital is having fun with your credit card. OH wait, you cannot buy anything when she has your card in hand.

BEYFlyer -- I hope that you have had an uneventful day there in Beruit. You mentioned that Pita went to $1.50/bag -- how much do you get in that. Is it the typical 8 that I can get from the Arab bakeries here? Also how much are you having to pay for fuel? One final thing -- I know that you are bombarded with PM, but I wanted to make sure you got the one I sent you.

To the others, apparantly FedEx and the others are limiting service to Israel. I tried to send something to Dov via FedEx and they just brought it back to me. They said that they are not delivering to that area of Israel. They gave me a list of areas that they are not deleivering to and it appears to be a line running just north of Safed. Of course I probably could send the package to someone else in Israel and it would be just fine.

(break in response had to go to the post office)

I just got back from mailing something at the post office here and saw the following sign (typed from camera phone photo):
Due to ongoing hostilities mail destined for Lebanon cannot be accepted at this time. We do not know when we will be able to resume accepting mail to Lebanon.

At the request of the Israel Post Office, we will not accept regular mail and packages destined for Israel at this time. Global Priority Mail and Global Express Mail letters are still being accepted at this time. However, we cannot gaurentee delivery of these items.

We appologize for any inconvience this may cause you.
So I am not sure what really is going on with mail service to the region.

Dov, Bey and all, stay safe and keep letting us know how you are doing.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:52 am

Dov,
Absent a dumpload of Netflix envelopes in your box, I conducted this special search to keep you entertained:
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search
Stay safe, buddy!
PS Bey: I am not as familiar with your entertainment preferences. Feel free to let us know
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL
See, there is a bright side to all this! No mail = No credit card bills!

In fact, if this lasts long enough, maybe they'll just forget to send them altogether...
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:46 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Greetings to all.....

A friendly and, hopefully, helpful reminder and heads up:

If you have posted on this thread, but later find that your post is no longer there, it has been removed. It is likely that the question you raised or the observation you made was, in the judgment of the moderator(s) or the FlyerTalk staff, either a) political, b) a question/observation that could have better been sent via PM to Bey/Dov to avoid thread "clutter," or c) veering off-topic.

Thank you in advance for your understanding. It is not always possible to contact every poster whose posts have been deleted, so if yours conceivably fits into the above categories, that's probably the reason you're not seeing it. Thanks for your understanding and your continued reading of this thread and posting on-topic.

And please don't post responses to the content of this message on-thread; moderators/FT staff will be happy to respond as they are able to private messages about moderation. Thanks!

cblaisd
Senior Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.