Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2006, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Kremmen
BEY and Dov, Australia's 60 Minutes had a story on the situation last night, with reporters on both sides of the border. On Israel's side, things looked almost normal, apart from shots of waves of tanks heading to the border. On the Lebanon side, it was just devastation.

Made me wonder: if every major network in every country sent reporters to both sides, wouldn't it be kinda hard to move in the war zone without tripping over reporters?
There are no reporters of any network (including Al Gazeera all arab networks) in Southern Lebanon between the Litani river and the Israeli border. From Lebanon, the reporters are in Beirut, in the bombed areas which I'm sure look like hell. In Israel, most reporters are on the border where the view is amazing and you don't feel like much is going on. The real damage in Israel is spread around the whole northern region and is not concetrated into one suburb or neighborhood. This cannot be delieverd in one shot like in Beirut but the terror people live in is not much less effective than for those in areas of Lebanon.

The real war zone right now is a few Kilometeres into S. Lebanon but no one is there to report from.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 6:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by apirchik
Reports say a helicopter hit a power line and crashed near Yiron about an hour ago. Dov - did you see or hear anything?
I recognized the spot where the helicopter crashed and it is far enough from Yiron that it could not possibly be responsible for our fire. (There is, however, a fire near the crash area.)
Old Jul 24, 2006, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
I recognized the spot where the helicopter crashed and it is far enough from Yiron that it could not possibly be responsible for our fire. (There is, however, a fire near the crash area.)
A huge blaze the engulfed a hilltop orchard overlooking the town of Rehaniya, about 2½ miles south of the Lebanese border. From MSNBC..

Is this near you DOV ?

Stay safe.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 7:23 am
Suspended

BEYFlyer, if I may ask a couple questions..

It's seems from previous posts that your family is decently well of financially, does this help in this situation? and how? I know you stated the reason for staying which wasn't due to lack of option, but while still there, is there an advantage to having money, or is it pretty equal ground for all regardless of income?

Also, I wonder if Hezbollah or sympathizers will move north, or will they stay south to engage the opposition? If They do run north to safer areas such as many non-militant types have, is there a worry they will actually bring more attacks north with them?

for anyone like myself who was interested, here's a pic of the katyusha rockets in a launcher that hezbollah is launching. I can see how dovster says they are hard to aim, but obviously quite dangerous.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/3...yusha300ap.jpg

Last edited by JohnnyWrath69; Jul 24, 2006 at 7:35 am
Old Jul 24, 2006, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Rehaniya is about five miles from me.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
No mail

The United States Post Office has suspended mail delivery to Israel and Lebanon.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rep. Eliot Engel is demanding that regional postal officials lift what he called a ridiculous embargo on outgoing letters and packages headed to Israel and Lebanon.

Engel, D-Bronx, said he learned of the ban on mail to the war-torn region after reading about it in The Journal News yesterday.

Matthew Thomas, supervisor of customer service in the Monsey post office on Melnick Drive, told the newspaper that his office turned away people with Israel-bound mail on Friday after receiving an e-mail from the U.S. Postal Service's Westchester district office the day before announcing the embargo.

Postal officials could not be reached for comment yesterday.

More here: http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...73251636129708

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My local post office says this is nationwide.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
See Post # 709. Today, what I earn belongs to the kibbutz but what I had when I came here belongs to me.
So that would mean the miles you had when you arrived are yours (old miles) but those you have earned since belong to the kibbutz?

If your travel relates to work can you apply to have the kibbutz reimburse expenses?
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Ohh... Condi's on her way... I wonder what she has to say about all of this??? Hope she is reading FlyerTalk but more specifically, this thread...
Read that she flew in by helicopter from Cyprus to meet with the Prime Minister and the Parliament Speaker before she heads down to Israel. No reports on the press conference yet.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
So that would mean the miles you had when you arrived are yours (old miles) but those you have earned since belong to the kibbutz?

If your travel relates to work can you apply to have the kibbutz reimburse expenses?
Any monetary payment I get for my labor belongs to the kibbutz.

Work expenses are re-paid by the kibbutz.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:40 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Any monetary payment I get for my labor belongs to the kibbutz.
I presume this money is turned over on the honor system?

And following up on an earlier question, what happens to such intangibles as airline miles and hotel points earned by a member of the kibbutz?
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cholula
I presume this money is turned over on the honor system?

And following up on an earlier question, what happens to such intangibles as airline miles and hotel points earned by a member of the kibbutz?
In most cases, it is not a problem. The great majority of kibbutz members work for the kibbutz itself or kibbutz-owned industries. Anyone who is employed by an Israeli corporation that is not kibbutz-owned would have his salary sent directly to the kibbutz.

If someone works as an independent contractor, or is employed by a non-Israeli company, then it would be on the honor system.

The kibbutz allows you to keep your points and miles. It also allows you to keep gambling winnings, inheritances, gifts, and income from savings and investments.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:02 am

Programs: Adrift in a sea of FF programs
Whew! I've been offline since Friday. Quite a bit of activity the past few days. I'm glad to see recent posts by Dov and Bey.

I started burning two candles every night (I have no religious affiliation but consider myself spiritual and candles are important to my spirit). Anyway, I started out lighting one for Dov and one for Bey but that has actually meant to me a candle for Israel and a candle for Lebanon and hope that they somehow light the way for both countries out of this terrible situation.

Okay, I'm really trying not to be too sappy but that's truly how my thoughts went. I will continue lighting my two symbolic candles as long as this conflict goes on.

Take care, both of you.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhammer53
The United States Post Office has suspended mail delivery to Israel and Lebanon.
I am very surprised by this. With everybody here shooting at each other, you would think that the USPS would give us extra service -- out of a fraternal feeling for a region which has "gone Postal".
Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:18 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by dhammer53

My local post office says this is nationwide.
It seems this may not be entirely a decision of the USPS. From their website:

Israel

Post offices have been closed in Northern Israel by the Israeli Government, and the delivery and collection of mail will be limited in that region.

Lebanon

All international flights to Lebanon have been cancelled. At this time, Libanpost will not be able to receive and process any incoming international mail until the airport resumes operations.
I can understand not accepting mail to Lebanon if they can't even get it sent out, but I don't understand why the USPS would refuse mail to Israel. Seems to me they ought to just send it on and let the Israelis deal with what can and can't get through since they say it's only mail in the north that's affected.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OldRedhead
I can understand not accepting mail to Lebanon if they can't even get it sent out, but I don't understand why the USPS would refuse mail to Israel. Seems to me they ought to just send it on and let the Israelis deal with what can and can't get through since they say it's only mail in the north that's affected.
Most Post Offices in the North are open. Only those in extremely dangerous areas, like Kiryat Shemona and Nahariya, are closed. Mobile post delivery to combat zones (like my kibbutz) has also been suspended.

However, even in cities like Safed, which has been hit by katyushas, the Post Office remains open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.