Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:14 am

Could someone explain why there are two different spellings and pronounciations for Hezbollah and Hisbollah?

Got it Traveler. Thanks

Last edited by ridrifter; Jul 23, 2006 at 8:21 am Reason: spelling
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
I asked this in another thread and here's the answer I got:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...ostcount=10767
Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:24 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
More attacks on the southern suburbs of Beirut with 2 more buildings completely demolished by Israeli bombing. Apparently one building housed the political offices of Hizbollah (yet another spelling, sorry) and the other was just a residential building. It is interesting to note that after 12 days of bombardment, the IDF has actually missed a couple of targets in the suburbs (highly unlikely IMHO).
Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
In fact, I don't even think Google has a zoom in function for Beirut. I tried doing something like that last night by taking the coordinates of Beirut from Wiki and putting that into Google maps; didn't work... Sorry... I'll see if I can find something else to give you an idea of where I'm at.
Is this the right one?

URL =

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.88...3081&t=k&hl=en
Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:33 am

Programs: United Milage Plus, Alaska Airlines Milage Plan, SAS Eurobonus
Mom and Dad would be down South at our other house.
BEYFlyer Where is your house down South? Do you know if it is intact? Or has it been bombed? Do you have employees there also? Are they safe? Hope your family, staff, and animals are safe in Beirut or the Mountains or anywhere in between.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
BEY and Dov, so good to see your green lights burning! I have been tied up in a meeting all morning,

From all news it looks like all Hell is breaking out (as if it hasn't been the past 10 days )

I hope that you two (and anyone else in the area) are in a safe place, if possible.

I am at a convention......everyone here has been talking about the two of you. You both are truly remarkable!!!!!!

BEY, I hope to meet you some day.....Dov, I will see you in PBI.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:41 am

Programs: United Milage Plus, Alaska Airlines Milage Plan, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by Dovster
...would be willing to drive a car into Rosh Pina....
"...they are shooting here again."......
Dovster, have you almost been hit by rockets as you have travelled from the Kibbutz to Rosh Pina or some of the surrounding communities since the conflict started? Or have you seen rockets land near by as you have been traveling?

Did you find out where the rocket landed which destroyed your window? Or what damage it did to the surrounding property?

Any more damage from the latest shooting?

Stay safe as you go about your daily activities.

Last edited by okflyer; Jul 23, 2006 at 10:30 am Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Sorry, but apparently there are some people around here who would like to kill me so I am going to duck into my shelter for a while.

I wonder if they are jealous husbands?
Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:52 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Sorry, but apparently there are some people around here who would like to kill me so I am going to duck into my shelter for a while.

Be careful Dov! extra cereful since they(jealous husbands) know where you live now.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:18 am

Sorry Dovster... What can I say? Whose idea was it to put my picture up in the first place?
If I remember correctly... I mentioned the posting of both of your pics about 14 million postings ago so that casting for your movie would be made easier, which in turn made the movie idea mine??? Do I get a cut? LOL

Be safe, both of you.

**Dov, your package is on its way! Hope you enjoy.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere

Actually, to keep myself safe from you, I brought my husband along to meet you, then headed straight for a mattress run

Stay safe.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cpx
Be careful Dov! extra cereful since they(jealous husbands) know where you live now.
Just look for Old Glory proudly adorning Dov's house!
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I brought my husband along to meet you
So you did, Mary -- an act of cruelty only overshadowed by the poisoning of the salami sandwich which you gave me.

The shooting here has been intensive for the past 30 minutes or so but is tapering off now.

Most of the rounds are not being shot at Yiron.

Every since the IDF took over Marun, which is on one of the highest peaks in the region, it has had a major tactical advantage. It is much easier to shoot aiming down than it is to shoot aiming up.

For a start, this means that most of the outgoing shots are from Marun, not from Yiron-Avivim, and that reduces the noise level quite a bit.

Nextly, much of Hizbollah's shooting is at Marun, taking the pressure off of Yiron to some degree.

Additionally, Hizbollah is firing a lot of its rockets over Yiron, to hit bigger targets further away (like Safed). Still, enough are landing around me (abeit not as close as yesterday) to help keep my pulse rate up at a healthy level.

I did have a bit of comic relief today while watching the news. Syrian Information Minister Mohsen Bilal announced that if Israel invades Lebanon, "Syria will not sit tight. She will join the conflict."

Of course, as Israel has already invaded Lebanon and is holding some of its terroritory, he had to clarify that by saying that Syria will only join the fighting if the Israeli Army in Lebanon "comes near to us".

How near is "near"?

Syria, he said, will attack if Israel gets within 20 kilometers of Damascus.

BEYFlyer, please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe that any part of Lebanon is within 20 kilometers of Damascus.

I got the distinct impression that he is trying to portray Syria as the savior of Lebanon -- to the Lebanese -- while at the same time assuring Israel that Syria is keeping out of this one.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 11:23 am

Dov,

How is your daughter doing? Is it still nice and quiet where she is staying???
Old Jul 23, 2006, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Abby, she is not all that far from Haifa (although, fortunately, south of it). There was an alert today and the sirens went off but no attack.

Meanwhile, things here have gotten ridiculous. One rocket landed a short while ago not far from my house (although, apparently, a bit further than the one which broke my window).

Then, I heard the loudest explosion yet. The entire house shook and I was certain that it had hit in my backyard.

It was followed by an SMS message: "That last explosion was from our side".

Guys, it is the other side you are supposed to be shooting at!

(Actually, I think it was an explosion of an ammunition bunker at Marun and because of all the rockets, etc, there it just sounded very close.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.