Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2006, 11:42 am

hope any FTers in the region are ok.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
dedehans, SS255 is also actively involved w/ critters. It's in her signature re: the group she helps.
Thanks for the plug, Sharon!

Dov - Kibbutz Yiron was mentioned in this week's Los Angeles Jewish Journal. See the attached link:

http://www.jewishjournal.com/home/preview.php?id=16168
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:00 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Thought you may be interested to know a couple of stats. I did a google search on Dovster and BeyFlyer.

Dovster has 699 results
BEYFlyer has 883 results

Obviously, some of these are duplicates, but I was able to find quite a few links to this thread in multiple languages. The world is watching!
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:26 pm
At Large

Originally Posted by Dovster
(Actually, I think it was an explosion of an ammunition bunker at Marun and because of all the rockets, etc, there it just sounded very close.)

So where are the Hizbollah/Iranian missiles coming from now? How far away from your northern border and Haifa?
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by SS255

Dov - Kibbutz Yiron was mentioned in this week's Los Angeles Jewish Journal. See the attached link:

http://www.jewishjournal.com/home/preview.php?id=16168
To put a FlyerTalk connection to that story, Shor's father is the man who is going to be actually mailing out the "doves and hamsas" to the House of Miles. I gave him the package today.

Shor's sister lives next door to me.

Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN
Thought you may be interested to know a couple of stats. I did a google search on Dovster and BeyFlyer.

Dovster has 699 results
BEYFlyer has 883 results
This is not good! First BEYFlyer gets his picture put up on this thread and steals all the women from me and now he is beating me in the stats!

There has been a tremendous amount of outgoing rocket fire from here and the man in charge of security for the kibbutz sent out the following SMS a few minutes ago:

IDF forces are blowing up the bad guys' bunkers. I've advised them that the noise is not very pleasant for us.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by parnel
So where are the Hizbollah/Iranian missiles coming from now? How far away from your northern border and Haifa?
I would have no way of knowing that. They have varying ranges.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:43 pm

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Originally Posted by Thisstinks
...Are you back in Beirut? I read that you were planning on returning. Given the recent warnings from Israel to move out of certain areas, which is safer Beirut or the house in the north?...
Spending the night in Aley and then heading back down to Beirut tomorrow morning and into work. I just went out of the house and into the main section of Aley and people are all over the place. Usually Aley is full of people visiting from the Gulf. It is nice and cool up here during the day and night and it is not far from Beirut, so a lot of folks from the Gulf region like to stay up here (and various other place up in the mountains close to Beirut). These days; however, the streets are full of other Lebanese, many Lebanese, from the south. Aley is very much a Druze town, but you see a lot of folks walking around with head dress. It is obvious they either came in from the South or the Beka'a region. Anyway, it was good to get out of the house and have a nice Falafel sandwich. Mmmm...

Aley is to the southeast of Beirut and at the moment, both locations seem to be "safe". But things are changing every hour so I really can't say that I'm 100% sure that these areas will remain safe. Who knows what the future holds...
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by GoingAway
Bey - can you tell us a little about your staff and how they seem to be getting through this situation...
We are all in the same boat here, and each person has to make a personal judgement on whether it is safe for him/her to come to the office. We will be shortening our work week to 4 days to allow people more time with their families. Of course, the "business" day is now ending a lot earlier than normal. Life has to go on even in these very difficult times.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
I just felt like sending another one of those "I really hope you guys hunker down and stay safe Dovster and BEYflyer" emails.

Although I've got a lot of family and friends in Northern Israel, most of them have trekked South, so my main focus has been, like everyone else, on this thread.

I just got a call today from one of my best friends who emigrated to Israel from Ethiopia when he was 15. He is supposed to come to the US next week to see our new baby. He called to tell me that he just got an emergency call up to the IDF. He's a combat engineer and it looks likely he's heading North.

I've got a horrible pit in my stomach right now. As much as I've been glued to this thread like everyone else, and as much as I've been yearning to keep hearing that both Dovster and BEYflyer (two men who are as meaningful symbols of the human determination for peace as I've ever seen) remain healthy, so too has it remained something of an abstraction. As might be expected, this news has made the entire thing that much more real, and my worry for Dovster and BEYflyer that much more acute.

I truly hope this can end soon.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by okflyer
BEYFlyer Where is your house down South? Do you know if it is intact? Or has it been bombed? Do you have employees there also? Are they safe? Hope your family, staff, and animals are safe in Beirut or the Mountains or anywhere in between.
Our house down South is in an area known as Hasbaya. It wasn't until 2000 (when the Israeli army left) that we were able to go back down there again. There has been some damage to the house but nothing that can't be fixed. The worrying thing now is that all roads leading into Hasbaya have been totally destroyed. The few staff members that we do have are locals, so in a way it is good that they have a place to stay (our place).
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
The sad thing is that it's such a beautiful day. The sun is bright and the skies are clear. Ideally, I would be at the beach soaking up some rays.
I can see what a lovely day it was there! I've been looking at some webcams - this one from the north looking to Beirut:

http://www.skileb.com/webcam/beirut/default.asp

On the same page (along the left), are a few other webcams. I like the one at Byblos looking out over the ruins to the sea, but the one at Port Beirut seems to have stopped working on July 13. BEYFlyer, are the lights in the last couple of shots from the Port part of the Port's bombardment? I don't think they are permanent lights, but they look so similar in both the shots?

Sadly I don't. In fact, I don't even think Google has a zoom in function for Beirut. I tried doing something like that last night by taking the coordinates of Beirut from Wiki and putting that into Google maps; didn't work... Sorry... I'll see if I can find something else to give you an idea of where I'm at.

Hey bey, this is a shot in the dark becasue i know people said the Bakka valley had diffrent names, but is it Ba'labakk? Maybe its close to there? Well iv marked dovs house and i just wanted to mark yours. its nice to be able to point at a computer screen and say, "See? I have family everywhere!!!" lol. well thanks again.

Originally Posted by Dovster
BEYFlyer, please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe that any part of Lebanon is within 20 kilometers of Damascus.

I got the distinct impression that he is trying to portray Syria as the savior of Lebanon -- to the Lebanese -- while at the same time assuring Israel that Syria is keeping out of this one.
Even once you cross the border from Lebanon into Syria, you still have a good while before you get to Damascus proper (a lot more than 20 kilometers). Savior my donkey's behind... They can't wait to just throw this right back at us... "See, we left and look what happened." I can almost hear them laughing at us right now...
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Our house down South is in an area known as Hasbaya. It wasn't until 2000 (when the Israeli army left) that we were able to go back down there again.
BEYFlyer, would you mind explaining that a little more? I hadn't been aware that Israel kept other Lebanese from entering/leaving the "buffer zone".
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Abby
Is this the right one?
Indeed that is Beirut and you can see where the airport is. To the right of the airport (and the airport itself) are the suburbs of Beirut. That IDF has bombed that area everyday for the past 12 days. You can see how heavily built up that area is (almost all of Beirut even). Very difficult to avoid civilians...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.