Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2006, 2:36 pm
At Large

BEY, have you received any of the flyers sent down by the IAF?
Old Jul 23, 2006, 4:16 pm

Have a nice nights rest bey
Old Jul 23, 2006, 4:46 pm

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Goodnight Bey and Dov

Thinking of you both and wish you decent sleep and pleasant dreams....will be houndogging this thread when I wake up tomorrow, day 13, of this mess.

May you both be safe.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 7:28 pm

Good morning Dovster,
So nice to see your green light. I've noticed your light always seems to shine that beautiful color at 4:00 am. Hopefully, this is your preferred wake up time.

Jennifer (31 year old BAG, but you'd have to learn to speak Californian).
Old Jul 23, 2006, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by sportsgirl
Jennifer (31 year old BAG, but you'd have to learn to speak Californian).
Like, I mean, -- oh wow! -- that would be, y'know, totally cool and most excellent, dudette!

Actually, I generally do wake up early but recently its been the sounds of silence which have been getting me up.

I guess that Hizbollah and the IDF are Simon and Garfunkle fans. (At age 31, of course, you will have to search through an Ancient History textbook to find out who they were.)

Every so often there is a break in the shooting and the unexpected quiet actually wakes me up! I then go get something (non-alcoholic) to drink and get on line to see what is happening with this thread.

By that time, the shooting has restarted. And why not? The break has already served its purpose -- I am out of bed.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:37 pm

Good morning, Dovster! As you wake up, I go to bed. Have a safe day and I will check on your safety in about 8 hours!
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Sorry Dovster...What can I say? Whose idea was it to put my picture up in the first place?
Actually I thought that there probably was a picture of BEYFlyer somewhere on GK and Sean's blog in the photos of the Beirut Party. In January when GK told us that he had been transferred to Beirut, he said that he was in contact with some people there and was planning to have a party as soon as he could get things together. Franny said no, even tho GK probably threw world-class parties, she was not at all thinking that a visit to Lebanon was in her near future but that Cyprus or some such place might be DOable.
Originally Posted by Dovster
It was Monitor's idea. I would never give myself that kind of competition!
However, since I did not know the politics and the potential danger to him of posting BEYFlyer's likeness and since I did not know for sure if GK did have a picture of him, I simply e-mailed the Dovster asking him to ask BEYFlyer whether it was OK for a picture of him to be put up. There had been quite a bit of interest shown in this thread about such a picture but I figured that the quickest response would come if Dovster sent the message with the question to BEYFlyer. A message from me would have been #500 in his PM box and with his slow connection it would never have been read.

So despite the fact that Dovster must have assumed that BEYFlyer was a lot better looking than he was (almost everybody is) and that most of the women would quickly forget about him once they saw the new picture, he did in fact ask the question. The response came fairly quickly from BEYFlyer in the form of the jpg that lili immediately posted. I took a quick look at GK's photos and did not see a good likeness of BEYFlyer, so it was good that he was able to send it over for us.
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Monitor, expect a recorded message from the IDF...
This is OK with me just as long as you don't get any messages from anybody having bad intentions toward someone who is talking to the world as you are doing. I can deal with the IDF who, on our visit to Israel, looked just like a bunch of college kids carrying weapons, some of which were bigger than they were.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:51 pm
Nef

Bey and Dov,

I'm curious to know the difference in cost of commodities before and after the fighting started. Is it very difficult to get supplies now? If alot of shops are closed as mentioned, where do ya get supplies to basic neccesities?

It would be great if you both could give us an estimate of how much, say, bottled water/loaf of bread used to cost and how much they cost now.

I've been following this thread since about page 30 and it has shown me alot, thank you for humanizing the war. I was planning to visit the area next Feb-May. Hopefully this madness ends soon, for all our sakes. Stay safe
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:59 pm

Question Question

Dovster, I have a question (Mods I have no other agenda)
What were the UN people {who had been assigned to the border}
doing. I mean what were they supposed to be doing?
If my question has to be edited, I understand.

Dov and Bey I wish you guys all the luck or whatever it takes
for you to come through this. I also hope to make the big DO!

Good thoughts always
Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nef
I'm curious to know the difference in cost of commodities before and after the fighting started. Is it very difficult to get supplies now? If alot of shops are closed as mentioned, where do ya get supplies to basic neccesities?
I have seen absolutely no profiteering in Israel.

On my kibbutz, getting necessities is no problem. We can eat in the dining room (when it is not closed because of the attacks) or take food home from there. The kibbutz also has a shop where you can select from a wider variety.

The problem is that many suppliers are not willing to come here so both the dining room and the shop are running low on stock.

Yesterday, I went to a supermarket near Safed and it, too, was getting close to being empty.

It will not become an emergency situation, however. All the suppliers are willing to drive to as close as an hour's drive from here (making that a 40 minute drive from Safed). Most Israelis have cars and can get to stocked stores. Those who don't have friends/family willing to bring them whatever they need.

There is no public transportation right now where I live but that is the exception, not the rule. If someone in Safed were to find the supermarket empty and did not have a car or anyone who would help him, he would be able to get on a bus to get to a supermarket.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aqualung1000
What were the UN people {who had been assigned to the border}
doing. I mean what were they supposed to be doing?
If my question has to be edited, I understand.
There are two UN organizations, UNTSO and UNIFIL.

They each have different tasks (do a "Google" search on each and read their exact missions described on the the UN's website) but, in short, in comes down to keeping the peace.

UNTSO has been peacekeeping since 1948, UNIFIL since 1978.

Peace has not been kept.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 11:02 pm

Whew, I just finished reading all 40 pages of this thread and it's taken me all day.

I can remember reading Dov's first post, just before I was preparing to meet my sister and drive cross-country with her.

Since we arrived at her home in New Mexico her TV hasn't been working properly, so I've been relying on my laptop and Flyertalk to get a sense of what's going on.

What is so incredible about this thread is the description of such chaos with such calm, measured, caring responses from all.

Dov, I've shared a few posts with you in the past. BEYflyer, I would like to introduce myself to you. Clearly we FlyerTalkers care about you both and the horror you're going through.

The fact that we're with you vicariously now is a small part of a lifetime of conflict (and the danger of conflict) that you've suffered in the region. What a terrible waste of life, land and money (clearly not all equal).

It's not hard to empathise. But it is hard to express how our hearts go out to you and the people of the region who live through this. The greatest testament, I guess, is the enormous size of this thread, and the huge number of people who have posted.

We do wait with bated breath for your next messages. We also pray for you.

Regards,
Rita
Old Jul 24, 2006, 1:12 am

All's quiet in FT World. Bey and Dov, how are things with you? I just walked in the door from work, so I'm kinda out of the loop. Is anything new going on that you know of?

**Glad to see both lights burning strong! ^ ^ ^
Old Jul 24, 2006, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JaxFrog79
All's quiet in FT World. Bey and Dov, how are things with you? I just walked in the door from work, so I'm kinda out of the loop. Is anything new going on that you know of?

**Glad to see both lights burning strong! ^ ^ ^
There is a tremendous amount of shooting going on where I am but that is far from new. (It all sounds like it is outgoing.)

I saw on television where a Foreign Secretary (in this case British but it could have been from many other countries as well) went to Beirut yesterday and condemned Israel for striking at Lebanon. Then he came to Haifa and praised Israel. Again, things like that are far from new.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
There is a tremendous amount of shooting going on where I am but that is far from new. (It all sounds like it is outgoing.)

I saw on television where a Foreign Secretary (in this case British but it could have been from many other countries as well) went to Beirut yesterday and condemned Israel for striking at Lebanon. Then he came to Haifa and praised Israel. Again, things like that are far from new.
Well, I am thrilled to see that you're hanging in there, considering everything. Best wishes. I must go to bed for now. (It's 3:30 am and I've been at work since 10:30 this morning ) I will be back with you later on today. I hope that, despite all the racket, you have a somewhat decent day.

Love and prayers from JAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.