Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2006, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Here's a shot of Dov & Underpressure at the PBI Do last Dec. UP was giving Dov his 60th birthday kiss from me

http://picasaweb.google.com/MarysAlb...25320300380178
Old Jul 24, 2006, 3:30 pm

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Water supplies

Dov and Bey...do you have adequate supplies of drinking water? (We in FL have cases of bottled water already stored for hurricane season)....since neither of you had any prior warnings about this "skirmish" I do hope you have a comfortable supply stashed in a bathtub, sink......

Next question....do you have enough water to shower, do laundry, dishes, etc......do you have any water pressure problems?

Dov, are your electric and phone lines underground or strung on vulnerable poles that could as well go down in a big thunderstorm as a missile strike......your community is so rural (yet you have zippy internet access...)

Bey...have you gotten to your office and if so, do you have DSL or cable or are you still on dialup? Beirut as to where you live looks like it should be quite technologically sophisticated....

If questions answered in previous posts, please ignore.....no, please direct me to your previous answers...

dede
Old Jul 24, 2006, 3:38 pm

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Originally Posted by Dovster
BEYFlyer, could you clarify what you mean by "suburbs"?...
Indeed, I mean the outlying sections of the city...
Old Jul 24, 2006, 3:43 pm

dede, so far everything is in good supply, especially the water. The country has a lot of fresh, underground water supplies, so we are fine...for now. Nevertheless, we have taken the precaution of storing extra amounts of bottled water here, in the mountains and the office. As for my internet situation, well I have a broadband link at the office but it is fast only when everyone else is not using it. I do sometimes resort to dial-up especially when the link is down. At home, it's dial-up all the way... The whole DSL thing was on its way (was supposed to be up and running in March/April), but things take time around here...
Old Jul 24, 2006, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
dedehans, we have plenty of water, both for drinking and washing.

Our electrical lines are above ground and thus vulnerable.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 3:47 pm

It's 12:45 a.m. here in Beirut. The city is very quiet and very, very empty indeed. I am not used to it being so quiet especially in July... What a shame really... Dovster hope those tanks take a break so you don't have to listen to their music all night. I'll "see" you all tomorrow, God willing... Goodnight from Beirut...
Old Jul 24, 2006, 4:37 pm

Dov and BEY - I hope you both have a peaceful night. Dov, although I think of you as a good online friend, I have followed this thread but have refrained from posting, as I haven't had anything but my best wishes for both of you to add to this point. However, Michelle Malkin has an interesting map showing the rocket attacks on her website www.michellemalkin.com today and the map actually shows Yiron for those who are interested.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Hey Bey (when you wake up), read in the paper today that cabs are charging $500 for folks to get from Tyre to Beirut (I think that's 80 miles?). Have you heard anything about that?

Hope you both get to sleep well tonight. Cheers.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 5:01 pm

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
don't know if this might be useful but.....please look at it.....our hurricane cookbook....sorry it has to be a pdf.....
Goodnight Dov and Bey....and lotsa love.
http://www.fiu.edu/~health/hurricaneseason/Cookbook.pdf

Last edited by dedehans; Jul 24, 2006 at 5:13 pm
Old Jul 24, 2006, 5:03 pm

Wow, 194,222 views of this thread as of right now!
Take care Dovster and BEYFlyer
Old Jul 24, 2006, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Bey, I am curious if people are talking about the effect on property prices, especially the upscale developments and plots in the nicer areas of Beirut/by the sea.

Thanks.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Post office update

The mail will go through.

Here's a press release from Congressman Eliot Engel.

POST OFFICE EMBARGO RESOLVED; July 24, 2006
Monday July 24, 2006

POST OFFICE EMBARGO RESOLVED
Engel: I am pleased that this misunderstanding has been cleared up

New York- Congressman Eliot Engel (D-NY) issued the following statement after receiving word from the Westchester District Post Office, which includes Westchester, Rockland, and Orange counties, that the embargo on outgoing mail to Israel and Lebanon was a mistake:

“I am pleased that the Westchester District Post Office has put an end to the embargo on outgoing mail to Israel and Lebanon. I am grateful for their quick action. This was called to my attention yesterday both by the Journal News and by several of my constituents at various community events, and I am deeply relieved that this was just a misunderstanding. I am extremely relieved that this will be cleared up expeditiously.”

Congressman Engel was first aware that the Westchester District Post Office had suspended outgoing packages to Israel and Lebanon on Sunday. He immediately called on the District Post Office to reverse their embargo, calling it arbitrary and unfair.

An advisory statement received from the Postal Service stated that “As of July 24, 2006, there has not been an embargo, and the Postal Service is accepting mail for both locations. Mail for Israel is being forwarded to Israel. Mail for Lebanon is being forwarded through Damascus.”
================================================== ============

Leave it to New Yorkers to discover, then fix the problem.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL, NW Silver Elite, Hilton
Dov:

You mentioned it being "cooler" there in Israel----it's hot as a firecracker here in Alabama right now. I'm interested in knowing what the temp over there is.

Guess with your tv on the fritz, you're stuck with all us now!
Old Jul 24, 2006, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by aucarol
Dov:

You mentioned it being "cooler" there in Israel----it's hot as a firecracker here in Alabama right now. I'm interested in knowing what the temp over there is.

Guess with your tv on the fritz, you're stuck with all us now!
DOV, I'm thinking that if you find out how many rockets actually hit any swimming pools in Israel that you might think about just putting on your suit and sitting in the pool till this is all over. It looks like a nice pool. You said that with your window (shatter proof) being out that you don't worry because when it gets hot enough you close all the windows and switch on the air-conditioning. How hot does it have to get to click on that AC? I'm thinking the pool (which looks quite nice in the pictures) may be a fine place to hang during your near 90 degree temps during this terrible time. As always, I wish only the best for you and BEY, and all involved in this insanity.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
]Fuel is around $15 for every 20 liters. I am sorry, but you are going to have to do the math on this one .
Your in a war and your petrol is still cheaper than New Zealand

Oh and as its my first post; keep safe ect ect prayers with everyone ect ect.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.