Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:19 am

Dovster: Thank you so much for your response. I too pray that they are safe wherever they are. I pray you are safe as well. If you hear or see anything, please let me know. The hardest part of all this is to be in the dark. No word, no pictures, nothing. We are constantly watching the news for some glimpse of family. Perhaps you can be my eyes for me. Can you see the old village of Yaroun that sits on a hill? I'm sure most people are gone or hiding. I heard from a friend that cars had been destroyed and that those who were still there had to escape on foot. Any word on that? Please keep me posted if you can. Thank you so much indeed!

Originally Posted by Dovster
Serendipidy, after reading your letter I went to the spot where I would have the clearest view of Yaroun and looked at it through 10 x 25 binoculars. (This basically makes 1000 yards look like 300 feet.) ...

...I pray that your family did, indeed, get out and is now safe.

Last edited by Elicia at WebFlyer; Jul 25, 2006 at 12:05 pm Reason: reduce long quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I have no idea of how many I need. There are 9 places for plugs on the TV:

YUV: Y, Cb, Cr
VIDEO: In, Out
AUDIO IN: Left, Right
AUDIO OUT: Left, Right

I don't know wht "YUV", much less the subdivisions thereof.

I also can't figure out why I need video or audio out.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:26 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(This deserves better than being in parenthesis but my thanks to Lili and LLM as well as Shirl's participation in the pictures.
Our pleasure. Now stay out of danger or we will have to start posting Hebrew warnings instead of greetings.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by [B
serendipidy[/B]]Dovster: Thank you so much for your response. I too pray that they are safe wherever they are. I pray you are safe as well. If you hear or see anything, please let me know. The hardest part of all this is to be in the dark. No word, no pictures, nothing. We are constantly watching the news for some glimpse of family. Perhaps you can be my eyes for me. Can you see the old village of Yaroun that sits on a hill? I'm sure most people are gone or hiding. I heard from a friend that cars had been destroyed and that those who were still there had to escape on foot. Any word on that? Please keep me posted if you can. Thank you so much indeed!
serendipidy I hope you will also keep the rest of us reading this thread posted if you hear anything. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Serendipidy, I am very sorry that I can't be of any more help to you but the only things I know are those that I actually can see.

Remember, although Yaroun is our closest neighbor, there has not been any contact between them and us for many years.

(In fact, that one sentence in itself sums up the whole tragedy here.)

If I see anything new, I will let you know but I am not optimistic about that.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan

I don't know where YUV is either, but any FTer knows that if you have the choice, you take "C" over "Y" any day.

Audio out would be for speakers, etc. Video out would be to record TV shows.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:35 am

Programs: AC, WN, AA

YUV is for component video inputs. Basically, Red, Green, and Blue signals each have their own cable into the TV. If you look on the back of your DVD player, I assume you'll find 3 corresponding RCA ports.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:40 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Serendipidy, I'm sorry to say this, but it seems Yaroun is next on the IDF's agenda now that Maroun Al-Ras and Bint Jbeil are under their control. Not sure what the situation is like over there as I am all the way up here in Beirut. I hope your family managed to get out before things got really out of hand. Don't be surprised if you can't call them as most (if not all) communication lines with the South have been severed.

The attacks on particular banks in the suburbs does not surprise me at all; there isn't much left to target. I do not think those are the "heavy bunker buster" bombs I mentioned before as I don't think they have been delivered from a U.S. base in Qatar. Nevertheless, a 1-ton bomb is still pretty much powerful...
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:41 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex

Someone more adept at this will probably correct me, but it looks to me that the YUV connection(s) are what would be called RGB in english (Red, Green, Blue)? With separate Video and Audio inputs and outputs, I'd expect those to be RCA jacks. To get your DVD player's signal into the TV, you'd only need the RCA inputs for video in and Audio L&R in. You'd only need the "out" cables if you wanted to go from the TV to some other unit like a VCR or an audio amplifier such as you'd use with a "home theater" setup.

Or not. Like I said, I'm sure someone else knows better.

In looking down upon you from the Google Earth satellite, I had apparently mis-identified Yaroun as Maroun-er-Ras. Is Maroun-er-Ras to the north of Yaroun, or to the West? Is it the town just across the border from Avivim (that one seems to correspond to descriptions in the press of Bint Jbeil)?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
plugs on the TV:

When images are recorded digitally, the Y is brightness (luma), and Cb and Cr are two color difference signals, corresponding to U and V.
The Y is usually a Green cable
The Cb is usually a Blue cable
The Cr is usually a Red cable

Little did I know when I woke up earlier today I'd be helping a man in a war zone connect his DVD player to a TV.

Last edited by SlowTrekker; Jul 25, 2006 at 10:50 am Reason: Added footnote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets

In looking down upon you from the Google Earth satellite, I had apparently mis-identified Yaroun as Maroun-er-Ras. Is Maroun-er-Ras to the north of Yaroun, or to the West? Is it the town just across the border from Avivim (that one seems to correspond to descriptions in the press of Bint Jbeil)?
I think we had best forget about the TV technical stuff. Not only will I never follow it but it will just clutter up the thread.

Maroun-er-Ras is to the East of Yaroun. It is between Avivim and Yiron but to the north of both of us.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:59 am

BeyFlyer: I pray to God this is not true. I saw the bombing of beirut an hour ago or so on TV. It must have been horrible. I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through. You and Dovster please keep in touch and stay safe wherever you are.

Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Serendipidy, I'm sorry to say this, but it seems Yaroun is next on the IDF's agenda now that Maroun Al-Ras and Bint Jbeil are under their control. Not sure what the situation is like over there as I am all the way up here in Beirut. I hope your family managed to get out before things got really out of hand. Don't be surprised if you can't call them as most (if not all) communication lines with the South have been severed.

The attacks on particular banks in the suburbs does not surprise me at all; there isn't much left to target. I do not think those are the "heavy bunker buster" bombs I mentioned before as I don't think they have been delivered from a U.S. base in Qatar. Nevertheless, a 1-ton bomb is still pretty much powerful...
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:02 am

Shirl: Thanks so much. It has been hell not knowing anything. I will surely keep you posted. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Shirl
serendipidy I hope you will also keep the rest of us reading this thread posted if you hear anything. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by CO FF
I don't know where YUV is either, but any FTer knows that if you have the choice, you take "C" over "Y" any day.
YUV is Longstaff Bluff Airport, NSW, Canada. Keep your focus, we keep getting sidetracked into television, dvd's, wars, and so forth.

Gotta stop these wars, they distract us from the important things: miles, points, and DO's.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Serendipidy, I'm sorry to say this, but it seems Yaroun is next on the IDF's agenda now that Maroun Al-Ras and Bint Jbeil are under their control.
BEYFlyer, I am not certain by what you mean by "next on the IDF's agenda".

If you mean that troops will search the village to see if there are any weapons there, you are probably right.

If you mean that Yaroun will be attacked, I think you are wrong. As far as I know, there have been no rockets shot from Yaroun. Moreover, the village is deserted -- so there is nobody to attack.

Obviously, if Hizbollah moves into it from Maroun al Ras or elsewhere, all bets are off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.