Community
Wiki Posts
Search

11th Annual Brooklyn Reality Tour - June 4, 2011. Saturday

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by dhammer53
I have 10 seats available. If you're interested, now's the time to sign up.

If the bus doesn't sell out, I'll have to ask for a minimum of $5 to cover the shortfall (bringing the cost up to the same amount as last year). The larger 55 pax bus was an additional fee. The good news, there may be an empty seat next to you.
I've updated the first post to reflect those that can't attend. Unless additional people sign up, I won't be able to refund the BRT fee to those that have dropped out.

dh
Old May 27, 2011, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
BUMP -- hoping more folks see this & sign up!
Old May 27, 2011, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
I arrive Friday Afternoon on the Acela from DC.

I will be staying at the InterContinental Times Square.

I leave Sunday morning on the 8:30ish AM UA JFK-LAX ps flight.
Old May 27, 2011, 12:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm coming in Friday on Delta, going to Soup Do, staying at the Hampton Inn Stamford, CT. Leaving Sunday on UA from BDL (because, why not?) and staying Saturday night with friends in Westchester. One week to go! CAN'T WAIT!

Last edited by CMK10; May 27, 2011 at 3:52 pm Reason: Thanks USirritated!
Old May 27, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
^ I am excited about experiencing my first ever tour of Brooklyn, and also spending some great quality time and conversations with a big bunch of terrific FlyerTalkers! I will see some of you on Friday at the SOUP DO, and the rest of you on Saturday morning for the BRT. I can't wait!

Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm coming in Friday on Delta, going to Soup Do, staying at the Hampton Inn Stamford, CT. Leaving Sunday on UA from BDL (because, why not?) and staying Sunday night with friends in Westchester. One week to go! CAN'T WAIT!
This part of my post is a bit off topic, but I am facinated with CMK10's message.

How can you leave on Sunday from BDL and still stay with friends in Westchester on Sunday night? Stamford to BDL is approximately 91 miles (101 minutes) by car, and BDL to Westchester is approximately 103 miles (108 minutes) by car. Are you driving from Stamford to BDL, and then taking a flight to HPN to stay overnight with your friends somewhere in Westchester County? Are there commuter flights from BDL to HPN, or did you make a mistake with the days?

*approximate mileage and driving times per Google Maps.
Old May 27, 2011, 3:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by USirritated
This part of my post is a bit off topic, but I am facinated with CMK10's message.

How can you leave on Sunday from BDL and still stay with friends in Westchester on Sunday night? Stamford to BDL is approximately 91 miles (101 minutes) by car, and BDL to Westchester is approximately 103 miles (108 minutes) by car. Are you driving from Stamford to BDL, and then taking a flight to HPN to stay overnight with your friends somewhere in Westchester County? Are there commuter flights from BDL to HPN, or did you make a mistake with the days?

*approximate mileage and driving times per Google Maps.
I don't know what you're talking about, my post says staying Saturday night in Westchester, it's always said Saturday night. Move along everyone, nothing to see here, there's no adult here who mixes up days of the week and had to be corrected
Old May 27, 2011, 4:38 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by CMK10
I don't know what you're talking about, my post says staying Saturday night in Westchester, it's always said Saturday night. Move along everyone, nothing to see here, there's no adult here who mixes up days of the week and had to be corrected
^ ROFLMAO!!

Good one!
Old May 27, 2011, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Pick up location
Departure at 10:00am from the Grand Central Terminal area. Please arrive between 9:30 - 9:45.

234 East 46 street, between 2nd and 3rd Avenue.

===============================================

If you're running late,here's directions to our first stop in Brooklyn. Here's the information now, just in case.

Take the #2 or the #3 train to Clark Street. This is the 7th Ave/Broadway train. It's the first stop in Brooklyn.
When you exit, ask anyone where the Promenade is. It's ~ 7 minute walk.

You can also take the #4 or #5 train (runs under Lexington Ave on the east side) to Borough Hall. That's the first stop in Brooklyn. Ask anyone where the Promenade is.

Disclaimer... I can't take responsibility for anything if people don't read the thread. YMMV. I'll be PM'ing my phone number during the week.

Note to OP, please re-read this in January 2012. After my son was born, my wife said no more kids. Eventually she forgot the pain, and child #2 was born. I'm not so sure at this point if I can give birth to BRT 12.
Old May 28, 2011, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Dan, can you put me down as a strong possibility, I will know for sure Tuesday. Thanks!
Old May 29, 2011, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I received a PM from someone that's looking for home hospitality. If you have the room... PM me.

Yesterday Mom and wife dhammer and I toured the Gerritsen Beach neighborhood of Brooklyn. Canarsie is right when he says that a tour bus could never make it down some of the tiny side streets.

dh
Old May 29, 2011, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Another FYI... from beginning to end, lunch will take 2 hours. Oldtimers on the BRT forget this, and new riders get a little antsy; or as we say in Jewish, they have spielhes.

BRT 11 modification. Every so often, I try to improve the tour. I know old timers are saying dhammer, improve the tour? Impossible. Well, this year we'll be stopping on Bedford Ave in the Williamsburgh neighborhood. Lots of cool/hip/trendy shops. It's a little more cutting edge than 7th Ave in Park Slope. That's where we've stopped in the past for the mjm Starbucks break.

Last year we stopped at a park over-looking Manhattan from the W.Brgh neighborhood. It's sort of redundant (read boring) compared with our first stop at the Promenade.

This year, BRT 11 will not be accepting criticism. If my spys hear anything, they'll report back to me, and as Captain, I'll invoke FAA regulations and deboard you.

Seats still available. If the bus doesn't fill up, I'll have to ask for an additional ~$5 per person, bringing the cost in line with BRT 10. I lowered the cost based on the large initial sign-up. Oh well.

dh
Old May 29, 2011, 9:10 am
mjm
Original Member

Another FYI... from beginning to end, lunch will take 2 hours. Oldtimers on the BRT forget this, and new riders get a little antsy; or as we say in Jewish, they have spielhes.

BRT 11 modification. Every so often, I try to improve the tour. I know old timers are saying dhammer, improve the tour? Impossible. Well, this year we'll be stopping on Bedford Ave in the Williamsburgh neighborhood. Lots of cool/hip/trendy shops. It's a little more cutting edge than 7th Ave in Park Slope. That's where we've stopped in the past for the mjm Starbucks break.

Last year we stopped at a park over-looking Manhattan from the W.Brgh neighborhood. It's sort of redundant (read boring) compared with our first stop at the Promenade.

This year, BRT 11 will not be accepting criticism. If my spys hear anything, they'll report back to me, and as Captain, I'll invoke FAA regulations and deboard you.

Seats still available. If the bus doesn't fill up, I'll have to ask for an additional ~$5 per person, bringing the cost in line with BRT 10. I lowered the cost based on the large initial sign-up. Oh well.

dh
There in spirit. Hope it all comes off without a hitch.

The tour sold me on Brooklyn years ago.

Mike
Old May 30, 2011, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Traveller
Dan, can you put me down as a strong possibility, I will know for sure Tuesday. Thanks!
Hope you can make it!
Old May 30, 2011, 7:27 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

We may need medical personnel to surround dhammer53 when he finds out that he can list me as confirmed for the 11th annual Brooklyn Reality Tour.

As of now, I will be attending with no guests.

Not only did I just book my round-trip airfare, but I instantly received an upgrade in the process for the outbound flight from Atlanta to New York...

...by the way, I was thinking of renting a car or minivan for Sunday to do a mini Canarsie Reality Tour, if anyone is interested, which will include a morning stop to pick up hot fresh bialys. If no one is interested, I will not do the tour.
Old May 30, 2011, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mjm
The tour sold me on Brooklyn years ago.
Thanks. Does this mean BRT 11 has to make the Starbucks stop?

Originally Posted by Canarsie
We may need medical personnel to surround dhammer53 when he finds out that he can list me as confirmed for the 11th annual Brooklyn Reality Tour.
Janice just picked me up off the floor. Finally. After all these years of taunting me... you're able to join in the fun. ^

Speaking of Janice, she just pulled out of the tour. Something about looking at bridal dresses with her future daughter-in-law. Good thing they picked June 4th.
Good thing for me.

Note

Please read the first post for pick up location and time. Don't forget. We close the doors at 10, and push back by 10:04.
From some of the PM's I receive, I realize not everyone follows the thread.

Remember to bring $26 cash for lunch. A few dollars for bakery goodies at Teenas. Money for a couple of slices of pizza and a drink at L&B. http://www.spumonigardens.com/home.html

Money for our last stop in Little Italy at Ferarras. http://www.ferraracafe.com/home.php

It's a 10:00am to 10:00pm day (1000 - 2200).

dh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.