Community
Wiki Posts
Search

11th Annual Brooklyn Reality Tour - June 4, 2011. Saturday

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2011, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
11th Annual Brooklyn Reality Tour - June 4, 2011. Saturday

edit

Pick up location
Departure at 10:00am from the Grand Central Terminal area. Please arrive between 9:30 - 9:45.

234 East 46 street, between 2nd and 3rd Avenue.

===============================================

If you're running late,here's directions to our first stop in Brooklyn. Here's the information now, just in case.

Take the #2 or the #3 train to Clark Street. This is the 7th Ave/Broadway train. It's the first stop in Brooklyn.
When you exit, ask anyone where the Promenade is. It's ~ 7 minute walk.

You can also take the #4 or #5 train (runs under Lexington Ave on the east side) to Borough Hall. That's the first stop in Brooklyn. Ask anyone where the Promenade is.

================================================== ====

Seats still available. The House of Miles has sent me a box of the very famous Flyertalk yellow luggage tags for distribution. Thank you SanDiego 1k. ^

Announcing the 11th annual dhammer53 Brooklyn Reality Tour aka BRT.

June 4, 2011.

The first 10 Brooklyn Tours were sellouts. BRT 4 - 7 I rented an airport type shuttle van. Last year we had a 50 passenger coach bus. We split the cost. The cost will be about $49. per person based on a full bus of 50 passengers. Once again, the tour will include a limited edition, dare I say, collectible cap.

Paypal details to be announced at a later date.

FYI, Catman will once again host the SoupDo on Friday night.
We'll have WineDo 4 on Sunday evening.

Pick up 10:00 Saturday morning in the Grand Central Terminal neighborhood. Drop-off at 10:00pm. We have a tradition of departing ontime.

Besides touring Brooklyn (my home town), we eat, and eat, and eat. Can you say 'real' Brooklyn pizza? Can you say 'delicious' bakery goodies? Just ask any of the folks who have been on this tour. We drive. We tour. We eat.

If you're new to Flyertalk, the tour is a great way to make new friends.
At the end of the BRT tours 2 - 10, we went for dinner at an authentic Italian place in an authentic Italian neighborhood. Lots of jewelry showing. This may or may not happen this year. All depends on the number of attendees.

Figure about $25- $30 a person if we do a sit down lunch or dinner. This is less than what you would pay in Manhattan; and twice the portion. The show is better than the food. If we do lunch, the cost will be $15 - $20. Details to be worked out.

Please note, last year I switched lunch and dinner. The sit down was lunch. 2011 plans will depend on how many riders come along.

The lunch/dinner will be open to everyone. If you're not on the Tour, you'll have to take the subway to the restaurant. It's about 40 minutes and $2.25 one way. Several years ago, we had a few hitch-hikers on the van back to Manhattan.

Start planning now. Springtime in New York is beautiful. Consider yourself invited.

If you've been on the tour before and want to go again, please sign up, and consider yourself waitlisted. If you're from New York, you're waitlisted too. Thinking about bringing a friend or relative? They have no status; so we'll have to wait and see if they clear the DM list. All of the above lists will clear by May 15. Don't wait to decide.

Past tour highlights include:

2001...poor AnnaS having a cold.
2002...Lisamcgu making us stop for White castle hamburgers.
2003...mjm insisting on a Starbucks break. After I stopped laughing at him for thinking that Brooklyn would even have a Starbucks... we found one.
2004...gorging on food at marysunshine's house...and this was a snack!
2005...cawhite knocking on the door of my childhood home; while I ducked for cover. It was a priceless moment. Details towards the last page of the 2005 thread. Also, a Tony Soprano type sitting at the bar added some extra flavor to our experience.
2006...Our van squeezing past a doubleparked car on a side street. You can just imagine the typical Brooklyn swearing. Also, the tour getting its 15 minutes of fame on Cable television News 12 Brooklyn. Check it out http://news12.com/BK/topstories/article?id=175940# use name: dhammer53ft, password: flyertalk (may not work).
2007... When cawhites 'friend' Larry (the guy who always sits at the bar), checked us out!
2008... "I had no intention of stopping at my childhood home. As we approached, I told the driver to slow down, then stop. Seems the front door was wide open. I took this as a sign from above. I stopped the bus.
A couple of years back, cawhite knocked on the door. I ducked for cover. This year I was apprehensive as I approached. When I told the woman that she bought the house from my Mom, she said in typical Brooklyn fashion whats her name? When I responded, she had a big smile for me.
This may have been the moment on BRT 8. Every year, there's always one moment that's noteworthy".

2009... We were filmed throughout the day for a documentary. Maybe it'll even come out one of these days.

Note:

We rotate seats on the bus. Seat 1A is reserved for a couple of long time attendees (yes, that means you).
We make plenty of stops.
New Yorkers are 'standby' for the tour. Preference goes to out-of-towners.

No talking miles and points when I'm (ahem) lecturing on Brooklyn.

It takes a certain type of person to put up with other Flyertalkers for an entire day. If you're looking for an excuse to visit NY (Brooklyn) in June, the dhammer53 Brooklyn Reality Tour is it.

Please post below if you're interested. I've met a few of you along the road this past year and you have 'dibs' if you're interested in joining us for a fun day in Brooklyn.

If you're interested in coming along, I need you to pm me your:

-Handle and real name.
-Hotel you're staying at, when available.
-Cell #

The 2007 thread here... http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...light=brooklyn

2008 Trip Report here... http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=839107

2009 thread ... 9th annual Brooklyn Reality Tour. June 13, 2009 Saturday

2010 thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...12-2010-a.html Post 346 has a brief report.
Photos in 317 by tom911.

The 2006 thread here 2006 dhammer53 Brooklyn Reality Tour takes place...
It's good background info for any first timers; or, anyone feeling nostalgic.

Note to new riders... I would suggest reading the 2010 thread to get a peak at what you can expect.

First come, first served.

FYI... Randy will make a $10 donation per rider to the Susan B. Komen Foundation. http://ww5.komen.org/

Randy will be onboard the BRT this year. After all these years of my pestering him, he's finally coming to Brooklyn.

Dan

So Far:

dhammer53 *
Randy *
magic111 *
KathyWdrf *
weinskkb *
tcook052 *
Art234 +1 * <<< can't make it.
Christian
From NYC *
FortFun *
Punki + 1 *
Hunki +1 *
2lovelife * (Seanthepilot) <<< can't make it.
ralfkrippner * <<< can't make it.
Tkey * +1 *
bhatnasx *

cawhite * <<< can't make it.
iluv2fly
Luvtworce + 2 *
CMK10 *
paranoiatx *
mnmag *
cholula +1 *
JerseyJoe +1 * <<< can't make it.
Benny8444 *
BonnieSea * +1 *
MarshKing *
jbcarioca *
HPN-HRL *
usirritated *
bdnyc *
gipsss *
MSPeconomist
Top of climb *
yunicorner * +1 *
firstglobal *
Canarsie
juammer + 1

Plus Larry the professional tour guide.

If you're counting, there are ... riders so far. I'm losing track.

Waitlist
Some of the above will cancel. Last year I managed to clear the entire list.

You're about to lose your seat since I haven't heard back from you:

NYC101
jayeis
chollie

* = 43 Paid

Last edited by dhammer53; Jun 3, 2011 at 8:20 pm Reason: *Paid attendees = 43. + Larry the tour guide.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Place saver.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Sign me up. Guess i will have to find a way to NYC even if CX doesnt open up more awards. Any chance non-paypal payments will be accepted? Had fraud issue this week with my paypal account so I don't trust them know because they let someone wipe out my checking account
Old Feb 22, 2011, 7:26 pm

Well, didn't even know there's Brooklyn DO... lived there ffor 10+ years before moving out to Queens. Count me in for this one.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 7:32 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Put me down on the waitlist - unless working in CT gets me out of the "locals have to go on the waitlist" rule
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Arm twisted...looks like I'm in...again.

I may need to make a stop at Fiorentino's on Friday evening to get the weekend off on the right start...
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Count me in
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
So from your list nothing important happened in 2010.

Thanks for the tour last year, this year I am traveling to a new part of the world so I won't be able to attend.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:50 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Me miss a BRT? No way! I'll be there! How many have I attended, Dan?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
So from your list nothing important happened in 2010.
That information is buried in the later part of the 2010 thread. It's intentionally not posted.

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Me miss a BRT? No way! I'll be there! How many have I attended, Dan?
One too many.

At this point, you, cawhite, and kathywdrf are grandfathered in. This means that even if you called me the day before the tour, I'd find the 3 of you a seat.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I've been trying to plan a trip to NY for a while, and it would be great to have a visit during a warm part of the year. Please put me down as a maybe. If the fares are decent from SFO, and I don't have anything else on the 3-5, I'll be there ^

It will be my first BRT
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Trouble with the 2010 link in your OP oh great leader.

2010 BRT thread
Old Feb 23, 2011, 2:31 am

Programs: UA1K,HH Silver
We are in, excited to go on this for the first time, please add a plus 2. Thanks
Old Feb 23, 2011, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Luvtworce
We are in, excited to go on this for the first time, please add a plus 2. Thanks
put me down for 2 people jay eisen
Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Updated.

So far: 42

The bus holds 50.

dh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.