Search

11th Annual Brooklyn Reality Tour - June 4, 2011. Saturday

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA1KMM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Thumbs up Awesome tour

^
Dan,

Thanks for putting this tour together again. We really enjoyed the presentation. Our daughter really enjoyed seeing the areas of Brooklyn that she hadn't made it to yet, and Punki and I were happy to reconnect with old friends and meet new ones.

Sorry we missed the "breakdown" experience. Look forward to seeing everyone at a future event.

Thanks to all who posted photos too.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Thanks to Dan and everyone else for another fun, educational, and gluttonous visit to Brooklyn! Even the bus breakdown was a hoot! It occurred in a good location (trendy, gentrifying Williamsburg). After milling about on the sidewalk for a lengthy time, waiting for the replacement bus, some of us retreated to the interior of the broken-down bus to rest our feet. Really, it wasn't so bad, and by the time the new bus arrived and took us to L&B, some of us were actually hungry enough to truly enjoy eating again.

Anyhow, I support Dan's plan to downsize BRT next year. Also, I'd be happy to go on Canarsie's Canarsie tour (on a different day from BRT, of course).

And, thanks for the photos, especially magic's "ABSOLUTELY NO SIGNS" sign.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:51 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Anyhow, I support Dan's plan to downsize BRT next year.
I support it as well.

Dan and I talked about it extensively during the bus tour.
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Also, I'd be happy to go on Canarsie's Canarsie tour (on a different day from BRT, of course).
It would be on the Friday before, as that is when such places as the offices of the oldest weekly newspaper in Brooklyn will be open, and Friday is usually a slow day for them after releasing the latest issue on Thursday.

Although technically just outside the border of Canarsie, another trip to Teena’s Cake Fair may be in order after lunch at the Mill Basin Kosher Deli in Mill Basin, as there are sadly no longer any Kosher delicatessens in Canarsie.

Breakfast would consist of bagels and bialys from Bell/B&S Bialy, which once had storefronts including one on Flatlands Avenue and East 81 Street, but now have a factory on Foster Avenue at the industrial northeastern corner of Canarsie.

I will probably include Canarsie Pier, Canarsie Cemetery, the schools which I attended when I lived in Canarsie, some old churches and buildings, and some of the old streets as Varkens Hook Road and Matthew’s Place. No bus would fit down those streets, paved only in recent years.

By the way, I do not need to refer to Wikipedia for information about Canarsie, because I actually wrote and posted some of it.

Here is some history regarding Canarsie, although not verified...

Last edited by Canarsie; Jun 9, 2011 at 1:07 am
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:57 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Of course there would probably be the problem of which previous tour attendees not to allow on the smaller tour?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 5:32 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
If the dates for Canarsie's Canarsie Tour and the BRT for 2012 can be posted a little ahead of time, I would love to pop over for it!....only will take about 30 hours of flying to get there!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:45 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

The Wyckoff House is open to the public.

The oldest house in New York City, dating back to 1652, has guided tours.

This should be considered for a stop on a future tour, whether it be the Brooklyn Reality Tour or the proposed Canarsie Reality Tour, as it is located just outside of Canarsie. The only problem is that the building cannot accommodate groups larger than 20 on a single tour. Multiple group tours can be done, but then would consume more time.

One person on the Brooklyn Reality Tour noticed Canarsie Lane near the Wyckoff House. Canarsie Lane is located in Canarsie.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
I would come up on Thursday, so as to be able to participate in the Canarsie tour, the Soup DO, and the BRT over two consecutive days.

For a full Brooklyn immersion, how about a Brooklyn museum DO on Sunday? It could be something such as The Brooklyn Museum of Art, The Brooklyn Historical Society, and just for some variety and being outside a bit, The Brooklyn Botanic Garden.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I support it as well.

Dan and I talked about it extensively during the bus tour.It would be on the Friday before, as that is when such places as the offices of the oldest weekly newspaper in Brooklyn will be open, and Friday is usually a slow day for them after releasing the latest issue on Thursday.

Although technically just outside the border of Canarsie, another trip to Teenas Cake Fair may be in order after lunch at the Mill Basin Kosher Deli in Mill Basin, as there are sadly no longer any Kosher delicatessens in Canarsie.

Breakfast would consist of bagels and bialys from Bell/B&S Bialy, which once had storefronts including one on Flatlands Avenue and East 81 Street, but now have a factory on Foster Avenue at the industrial northeastern corner of Canarsie.

I will probably include Canarsie Pier, Canarsie Cemetery, the schools which I attended when I lived in Canarsie, some old churches and buildings, and some of the old streets as Varkens Hook Road and Matthews Place. No bus would fit down those streets, paved only in recent years.

By the way, I do not need to refer to Wikipedia for information about Canarsie, because I actually wrote and posted some of it.

Here is some history regarding Canarsie, although not verified...
I'd really enjoy a Canarsie tour and hope to make it if you do offer one in future years.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I am thinking about attaching a Canarsie Reality Tour
It would be on the Friday before

Canarsie, another trip to Teenas Cake Fair may be in order after lunch at the Mill Basin Kosher Deli in Mill Basin, as there are sadly no longer any Kosher delicatessens in Canarsie.

I will probably include Canarsie Pier, Canarsie Cemetery, the schools which I attended when I lived in Canarsie

The Wyckoff House is open to the public.

This should be considered for a stop on a future tour, whether it be the Brooklyn Reality Tour or the proposed Canarsie Reality Tour, as it is located just outside of Canarsie.

dh
Old Jun 11, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA, Starwood, Hyatt, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Your "White Castle moment" was recollected to the entire bus on Saturday. We may have even passed the very one you stopped at. We know you ate a few bites of a slider and stunk up the whole van.
Oh! First of all, could it have really have stunk up the van that much when anyone who wanted to could have opened a window? It did not smell bad or cause a stinking situation in the least. That is just Dan being testy because I caused a detour on his route. Which is fine, because without being testy about his tour, he wouldn't be Dan and we wouldn't love him

Anyway, in CA we don't have White Castle and I just wanted to see what the fuss was about and it was a drive thru, so what was the huge deal? As it turns out, NEWSFLASH, first time its been divulvged ... I don't really even like White Castle sliders. Hah! So hopefully this ends the association.

Dan - what to talk about instead? How about that I was the only girl on that tour! And in Coney Island, this guy walking behind our group said, in full NY accent, "talk about back up!"

Lastly, did anyone ever get a copy of the pic I took that year. All the guys in Coney Island? The computer I had it on crashed with everything on it and I think I posted it to FT, but back then they were only offering a gallery with pics 1" x 1" and I think even that is gone now.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 2:07 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
If you're at all interested in the Dutch beginnings in New Amsterdam, there's a terrific book, "The Island at the Center of the World" by Russel Shorto. He went into the Old Dutch archives in Albany, along with documents in Holland, and gives a great history up till the changeover to the Brits.

The archives in Albany have been untapped and you'll get a great flavor of how life was in New Amsterdam compared with those fussy and parochial Brit-run places to the north and south.

On Amazon, and you can get it as Kindle, but I don't know how the illustrations look that way, you can find it at
http://www.amazon.com/Island-Center-...7865677&sr=1-1

On Barnes & Noble, where it is available as a Nook book, you can find it at
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-...d%2bthe%2bepic
Old Jun 12, 2011, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lisamcgu
Oh! First of all, could it have really have stunk up the van that much when anyone who wanted to could have opened a window? It did not smell bad or cause a stinking situation in the least. That is just Dan being testy because I caused a detour on his route. Which is fine, because without being testy about his tour, he wouldn't be Dan and we wouldn't love him

Anyway, in CA we don't have White Castle and I just wanted to see what the fuss was about and it was a drive thru, so what was the huge deal? As it turns out, NEWSFLASH, first time its been divulvged ... I don't really even like White Castle sliders. Hah! So hopefully this ends the association.
Lisa,

If you like, I can personally bring White Castle to you next week. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...ch-brents.html

Our White Castle lisamcgu stop on BRT 3 is now legendary. There's no way for me to change Flyertalk folklore.

I bolded your other comments above. I'm smart enough to know that I can't argue with you. @:-) Regards to B and L.

I originally toyed with doing BRT on Saturday June 11. If any of you were here, you know that June 3, in spite of a broken mike and a bus delay, turned out to be the better of the two. We had cold/rainy/damp weather yesterday. There's always a reason for picking a date, sometimes unknown.
Thank you FortFun for helping pick the date.

dh
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Thank you FortFun for helping pick the date.
My pleasure.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
If anyone has any good BRT11 pictures of FT Junior would you mind posting them to the thread? I know there should be at least one good one with Dan taken at lunch...
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

BRT 12 will be dedicated to Newself. Dave rode with us on BRT 1. He was a class act. ^

Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.