Community
Wiki Posts
Search

11th Annual Brooklyn Reality Tour - June 4, 2011. Saturday

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2011, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Canarsie

I can taste those bialies now...
BRT 2 or 3 stopped at the old location on Flatlands Ave. In those days, the BRT didn't make as many stops to eat as it does today.

If you ask me (and many other repeat riders), I think we'll continue to stop at Teena's Bakery on Ralph Ave. Sweets trump bagels and bialies IMHO. But, and I'll give this one but, a just out-of-the-oven bialy with some butter on it is a little piece of heaven. And don't get me started on onion boards.
Old May 3, 2011, 9:57 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by dhammer53
BRT 2 or 3 stopped at the old location on Flatlands Ave. In those days, the BRT didn't make as many stops to eat as it does today.

If you ask me (and many other repeat riders), I think we'll continue to stop at Teena's Bakery on Ralph Ave. Sweets trump bagels and bialies IMHO. But, and I'll give this one but, a just out-of-the-oven bialy with some butter on it is a little piece of heaven. And don't get me started on onion boards.
Who said I would get myself a bialy during the Brooklyn Reality Tour, and who said that would be instead of Teena’s?!?

Besides, Teena’s is only a block or so from one of the houses where I grew up in Canarsie.

If I go, I might take my own Canarsie reality tour during the day on Sunday and take along anyone who wants to join me...
Old May 6, 2011, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You're about to lose your seat since I haven't heard back from you. Thanks for returning PM's.

gleff
NYC101
gipsss
jayeis
chollie

Last call.

45 paid as of today.
4 weeks to go.

I have a minimum of 5 seats available.

I plan on heading back to Casa Calamari for a sit down lunch (which takes ~ 2 hours). The cost will be ~$26 for a blow out lunch. Cash only. No gold coins. I'm working on the menu. Since some folks didn't enjoy the chicken marsala last year. It's been removed from the menu. There was plenty of food on the table, so you won't go hungry. If anyone has any dietary restrictions, you're going to have a tough time.

dh

Last edited by dhammer53; May 6, 2011 at 10:19 pm
Old May 6, 2011, 10:46 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
4 weeks to go.

I have a minimum of 5 seats available.

I plan on heading back to Casa Calamari for a sit down lunch (which takes ~ 2 hours). The cost will be ~$26 for a blow out lunch. Cash only. No gold coins. I'm working on the menu. Since some folks didn't enjoy the chicken marsala last year. It's been removed from the menu. There was plenty of food on the table, so you won't go hungry. If anyone has any dietary restrictions, you're going to have a tough time.

dh
I'm confused, is this $26 over and above the $41 already paid?
Old May 7, 2011, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The most asked question, from year to year on the BRT thread is what's the departure address. The second most asked question is what time? I kid you not.

Departure at 10:00am from the Grand Central Terminal area. Please arrive between 9:30 - 9:45.

234 East 46 street, between 2nd and 3rd Avenue.
People ask these questions because they really did forget.
I know riders don't keep up with the thread.

For clarity, here is the OP.

Note the bolding.

Announcing the 11th annual dhammer53 Brooklyn Reality Tour aka BRT.

June 4, 2011.

The first 10 Brooklyn Tours were sellouts. BRT 4 - 7 I rented an airport type shuttle van. Last year we had a 50 passenger coach bus. We split the cost. The cost will be about $49. per person based on a full bus of 50 passengers. Once again, the tour will include a limited edition, dare I say, collectible cap.

Pick up 10:00 Saturday morning in the Grand Central Terminal neighborhood. Drop-off at 10:00pm. We have a tradition of departing ontime.

Figure about $25- $30 a person if we do a sit down lunch or dinner. This is less than what you would pay in Manhattan; and twice the portion. The show is better than the food. Details to be worked out. So to answer the above question, lunch is extra.

I believe this answers the above question.

We rotate seats on the bus. Seat 1A is reserved for a couple of long time attendees (yes, that means you).

So Far:

dhammer53 + 1 *
Randy *
magic111 *
KathyWdrf *
weinskkb *
tcook052 *
Art234 +1 *
Christian
From NYC *
FortFun *
Punki + 1 *
Hunki +1 *
2lovelife * Seanthepilot
gleff +1
ralfkrippner *
Tkey *
bhatnasx *
onefreeman
cawhite *
iluv2fly
Luvtworce + 2 *
CMK10 *
paranoiatx *
mnmag *
cholula +1 *
JerseyJoe +1 *
Benny8444 *
BonnieSea *
msv *
MarshKing *
jbcarioca *
HPN-HRL *
deleted
bdnyc *
gipsss *
MSPeconomist
Top of climb *
yunicorner

You're about to lose your seat since I haven't heard back from you:

gleff
NYC101
jayeis
chollie

Maybe

Departure at 10:00am from the Grand Central Terminal area. Please arrive between 9:30 - 9:45.

234 East 46 street, between 2nd and 3rd Avenue.

dh
Worth repeating.

Last edited by dhammer53; May 8, 2011 at 9:37 am
Old May 7, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Okies, now I know, lunch is extra, basically the $41 already paid is for the bus and cap.

New questions about the lunch:

What do you mean by "No gold coins?"

Why do you say "If anyone has any dietary restrictions, you're going to have a tough time?" (Please elaborate, because I do have dietary restrictions, although generally I can find plenty to comfortably eat at most Italian restaurants.)

Thanks
Old May 7, 2011, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, IHG, Amtrak
Signed up and paid woohoo! Can't wait to see Brooklyn and eat!
Old May 7, 2011, 10:26 pm

What is the remaining available seating?
Old May 8, 2011, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USirritated

Why do you say "If anyone has any dietary restrictions, you're going to have a tough time?" (Please elaborate, because I do have dietary restrictions, although generally I can find plenty to comfortably eat at most Italian restaurants.)
You may want to reconsider attending the BRT. After eleven years of running the tour, I've grown tired of folks trolling with silly questions. Now if you were from Brooklyn, I'd know your kidding. But since you're not from Brooklyn, I'm going to refund your money for the tour. I've handled hecklers on the tour, but never hecklers on the thread. I hope that you haven't booked your travel.

Originally Posted by yunicorner
Signed up and paid woohoo! Can't wait to see Brooklyn and eat!
The first post has been updated to reflect payments received. If you don't see a * next to your name, now's the time to speak up, assuming that is if you're reading the thread.

Last edited by dhammer53; May 8, 2011 at 9:32 am
Old May 8, 2011, 3:18 pm

Just checking in, still hoping a seat becomes available so I can join
Old May 8, 2011, 3:38 pm

You may want to reconsider attending the BRT. After eleven years of running the tour, I've grown tired of folks trolling with silly questions. Now if you were from Brooklyn, I'd know your kidding. But since you're not from Brooklyn, I'm going to refund your money for the tour. I've handled hecklers on the tour, but never hecklers on the thread. I hope that you haven't booked your travel.

....snip....
I would never heckle anyone about food. I was not heckling you in the thread, I was simply asking a simple question, as a new attendee, and in specific response to a statement you made. I think that your response to a simple question is a bit extreme, and frankly bordering on hostile. If you did not want questions, then you should not have made such a statement, and frankly, you should not be organizing a DO.

I eat all sorts of things, all sorts of cuisines, from (and in) many countries I have visited around the world. I have eaten in dozens of different kinds of restaurants in NYC, and I even lived in NYC for about one year around the time that Reagan was shot. I clearly said that I can comfortably find plenty to eat at most Italian restaurants, and I will expand that to say that I can comfortably find plenty to eat at most restaurants period. If you think that your statement "If anyone has ANY dietary restrictions, you're going to have a tough time" can only be understood/interpreted in one way, I am sorry to say that you are not correct.

There are ALL SORTS of dietary restrictions for all sorts of reasons, more than you, or any one person, could ever possibly imagine. There are people who keep kosher or halal, there are diabetics, there are Coeliac disease sufferers, there are people who are lactose intolerant, there are many different kinds of food allergies, there are people who can't tolerate caffeine, there are people who can't tolerate/do not like alcohol, and others who are encouraged to drink moderate amounts of alcohol, and I could go on and on.

Wouldn't it just have been easier to write a sentence or two to clearly say what your previous statement meant? I do not want my fee refunded, and I have made my travel arrangements. Even if I had not already made my travel arrangements, I would not want my fee refunded. I am eager to participate in this DO, and I am mystified at your over the top response to my simple clarifying question. Please take a breath, and calmly answer a polite clarifying question. When we meet, I look forward to a handshake, a smile, and a mutual chuckle. Thank you for your efforts to put together this DO, and I look forward to meeting you, and lots of other new people!
Old May 8, 2011, 3:44 pm

I am horrified that you have deleted my name, as a paid attendee, from the list just because I asked you some polite questions.
Old May 8, 2011, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
I just wanted to mention that I am looking forward to my 2nd BRT!^

For those who will be joining this adventure for the first time, -- my advice is to just relax & enjoy a 'native' Brooklynite experience, & please don't come with pre-conceived expectations!@:-) It's definitely a fun, laid-back day & Dan is a great host & tour guide!
Old May 8, 2011, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by mnmag
I just wanted to mention that I am looking forward to my 2nd BRT!^

For those who will be joining this adventure for the first time, -- my advice is to just relax & enjoy a 'native' Brooklynite experience, & please don't come with pre-conceived expectations!@:-) It's definitely a fun, laid-back day & Dan is a great host & tour guide!
My feelings exactly! (Except this will be my first BRT.)

Thank you for being eloquent!
Old May 9, 2011, 6:28 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, IHG, Amtrak
I have a +1 from Boston who'd like to sign up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.