Reload this Page >

11th Annual Brooklyn Reality Tour - June 4, 2011. Saturday

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

11th Annual Brooklyn Reality Tour - June 4, 2011. Saturday

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by USirritated

Why do you say "If anyone has any dietary restrictions, you're going to have a tough time?" (Please elaborate, because I do have dietary restrictions, although generally I can find plenty to comfortably eat at most Italian restaurants.)

Thanks
As an attendee of the past 3 BRT's (who unfortunately cannot attend this year due to scheduling conflicts), here is my interpretation of "dietary restrictions":

If you are allergic to fat, calories, fried foods, bakery items, carbs, Sicilian pizza, or any variants thereof, I would highly recommend either dropping out, or attending with the understanding that you will go hungry.

If you are a vegetarian whose constitution can handle a massive concentrated influx of said items, you will not go hungry (except perhaps at Coney Island, since you will miss the Nathan's Hotdogs opportunity). If, on the other hand, your diet consists exclusively of Greek salad.......just remember that on BRT day you are in Rome, not Athens. Please feel free to PM me if you need an intervention on the Greek salad thing.
Old May 10, 2011, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

We're currently at 48 riders. The OP has been updated.

If any of you are still interested, now's the time to sign up / pay up. First come first served. We went from 45 to 48 in the past 3 days. Times a wasting.

dh
Old May 10, 2011, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Dan, please take SFOMo and me off the waiting list - it just ain't gonna happen this year.

Hope you all have a good time.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by SS255
As an attendee of the past 3 BRT's (who unfortunately cannot attend this year due to scheduling conflicts), here is my interpretation of "dietary restrictions":

If you are allergic to fat, calories, fried foods, bakery items, carbs, Sicilian pizza, or any variants thereof, I would highly recommend either dropping out, or attending with the understanding that you will go hungry.

If you are a vegetarian whose constitution can handle a massive concentrated influx of said items, you will not go hungry (except perhaps at Coney Island, since you will miss the Nathan's Hotdogs opportunity). If, on the other hand, your diet consists exclusively of Greek salad.......just remember that on BRT day you are in Rome, not Athens. Please feel free to PM me if you need an intervention on the Greek salad thing.
Thank you for that enlightening information. I think that I will be able to handle that without any worries other than feeling a bit bloated!
Old May 10, 2011, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Swinging by to post about my +1, who is magically already on the list.

I can't wait. Since 2005 I have been trying to get in on the tour. Every year I've had to back out for schedule reasons. It looks pretty damn good for me to make it this time around!
Old May 10, 2011, 5:59 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After my van service seem to get completely lost between LGA and NY Penn on Monday I'm really looking forward to a guided tour soon! Could you let us know pretty soon where we will meet and the time in the morning? As mnmag knows I'm not a pro at NYC transportation so I need to study up. Also I'll be in KOA until a couple of days before the tour (I know I suffer sometimes) so any particulars you can give would be a help
Old May 10, 2011, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by msv
After my van service seem to get completely lost between LGA and NY Penn on Monday I'm really looking forward to a guided tour soon! Could you let us know pretty soon where we will meet and the time in the morning? As mnmag knows I'm not a pro at NYC transportation so I need to study up. Also I'll be in KOA until a couple of days before the tour (I know I suffer sometimes) so any particulars you can give would be a help
INFO has already been posted:

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Departure at 10:00am from the Grand Central Terminal area. Please arrive between 9:30 - 9:45.

234 East 46 street, between 2nd and 3rd Avenue.

dh
n.b. Also, LGA is in Queens, not Brooklyn!
Old May 10, 2011, 8:26 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mnmag
INFO has already been posted:

n.b. Also, LGA is in Queens, not Brooklyn!
I did mention he was really lost getting back to Manhattan.

Found the post of the time. Might help others to put this at the top.
Old May 10, 2011, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msv
Could you let us know pretty soon where we will meet and the time in the morning?
Right on cue.

Originally Posted by msv

Found the post of the time. Might help others to put this at the top.
Good idea. Done. @:-)

dh
Old May 18, 2011, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I still have a maximum of 9 seats available. There are usually a few people that sign up last minute. If you're interested, now's the time to beat the rush.

If the bus doesn't sell out, I'll have to ask for an additional $3 - $5 to cover the shortfall (bringing the cost up to the same amount as last year). The larger 55 pax bus was an additional fee. The good news, there may be an empty seat next to you.

The original post has been updated.

dh

Last edited by dhammer53; May 18, 2011 at 10:19 pm
Old May 19, 2011, 11:17 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This event is definitely for real now because I RSVPed for it on Facebook!
Old May 19, 2011, 5:48 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by CMK10
This event is definitely for real now because I RSVPed for it on Facebook!
Does the BRT have it's own Facebook page?
Old May 21, 2011, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looks like we dodged a bullet http://www.coneyisland.com/mermaid.shtml
The Mermaid Parade takes places 2 weeks after BRT.

Last year, few people were interested in riding this http://lunaparknyc.com/about-us/the-cyclone.html It's always an option, but if there's little interest, and a long line, we wave as the bus drives by.

Speaking of waving (as we drive by my boyhood home), cawhite can't make it this year.

A friend of mine is a licensed tour guide in Manhattan. If there's still space available ( 9 seats as of today), He may be able to join us for the Manhattan part of the tour. In the spirit of Flyertalks Coupon Connection, I'm trading him a seat on the bus in lieu of paying him for his 50 cent spiel.

The first post on page one gives pick up location and time.

I'll be PM'ing you my cell phone number. You'll need it if you're running late, and want directions to our first stop in Brooklyn. Here's the information now, just in case.

Take the #2 or the #3 train to Clark Street. This is the 7th Ave/Broadway train. It's the first stop in Brooklyn.
When you exit, ask anyone where the Promenade is. It's ~ 7 minute walk.

You can also take the #4 or #5 train (runs under Lexington Ave on the east side) to Borough Hall. That's the first stop in Brooklyn. Ask anyone where the Promenade is.

FYI, cell phone reception at the pick-up location has always been spotty. The BRT does depart on time. After what happened several years ago, I stick to the schedule.

See you in 2 weeks.
Old May 22, 2011, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by dhammer53
The first post on page one gives pick up location and time.

I'll be PM'ing you my cell phone number. You'll need it if you're running late, and want directions to our first stop in Brooklyn. Here's the information now, just in case.

Take the #2 or the #3 train to Clark Street. This is the 7th Ave/Broadway train. It's the first stop in Brooklyn.
When you exit, ask anyone where the Promenade is. It's ~ 7 minute walk.

You can also take the #4 or #5 train (runs under Lexington Ave on the east side) to Borough Hall. That's the first stop in Brooklyn. Ask anyone where the Promenade is.
About what time does the tour get there? I'll be staying in Park Slope and it doesn't make sense to go all the way to GCT.
Old May 22, 2011, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tkey75
About what time does the tour get there? I'll be staying in Park Slope and it doesn't make sense to go all the way to GCT.
You'll be missing the warm fuzzies of the first 30 minutes.

ETA ~10:40. We depart from the promenade ~11:30.

I still have seats available. Tell your friends.

dh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.