The Official Fall 2011 China DO Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official Fall 2011 China DO Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Also thinking about booking soon. Anyone staying longer than the weekend? Do you buy the tickets first or the visa first? Does it matter?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by mackenzie77
Some people might be interested in checking out the new high-speed rail that will connect Shanghai with Beijing in FOUR hours. That's basically NYC to ATL....
Many are less interested since safety deficiencies have come to light.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:05 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I've found this visa FAQ in the China forum and a couple of threads linked from the post very useful.

I'm wondering if I should go ahead and book an award ticket while it's available.
Thanks Newbie. I missed that thread and it's very useful, along with a few others in that forum. FTer Tom111 is been in Shanghai with the Olympic swim team and his photos and trip report are very positive and informative. Can't find a link right now, but it's in the FT and MP trip report forum.

I'll probably know in early September if I can do this trip.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 7:03 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
I'm in.

I'm in as I'll be living near Shanghai starting Sept 1.
Staying at the Grand Hyatt, most likely, at least that weekend.
I will arrange for reservations at Cloud 9 at the GH for a Saturday evening cocktail party/meetup, if that works with the schedule.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 8:27 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sstcobra
Also thinking about booking soon. Anyone staying longer than the weekend? Do you buy the tickets first or the visa first? Does it matter?
I suspect they would issue a visa without an airline ticket but thinking back to the days of the Olympics they wanted everything but your first born as evidence that you were not going to be a ward of the state. I just did mine a couple of weeks ago and provided them copies of airline and hotel reservations - they gave me a 1-year multiple entry with no problem.

The average turn around for a visa at the Chinese embassy visa department is 4-days so if you use a visa service and they try to charge you more for fast processing they are dipping deep into your pockets . I used Washington Express Visa Service (http://www.washingtonexpressvisas.com) and had it back in my hands in less than 10 days from dropping it off with FedEx and there was no rush charges
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Sadly, I will not be able to participate in this DO -- due to work obligations! Sounds like it will be a fun time!^
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:52 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Just booked 3 nights at the Westin Bund Center in a holiday sale on hotels.com. Expedia and a few other online booking sites also have the same 50% off sale. $129++ room only, non-refundable, etc. but I just couldn't resist. So I guess I'm almost confirmed.

Hoping to book a couple of nights as an award stay in another hotel, possibly Le Royal Méridien. Now I'll have to check if those award flights I found are still available with US DM miles.

ETA: Promo email from hotels.com this morning about "48 hours luxury hotel sale in American and Asia-Pacific destinations". I checked the Westin Bund Center for the same dates and they are now advertising $193++ at the "Special rate: Early Booking Bonus - Save 25% on your hotel stay". The rate is cancellable.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 23, 2011 at 6:48 am Reason: additional info re higher rate
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:38 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
For those who haven't booked travel yet, check out this thread.

I'm seeing $707/ai from EWR-PVG for travel around the dates of the DO. [Edit: DL fares are now gone, it would seem.]

Oh, also the Courtyard Puxi (where I'll be staying if I don't cancel the tickets tomorrow) has 15% off for Marriott Rewards members (not sure if it's elite only), resulting in a rate of CNY670 per night (plus CNY100 service charge), so about $120/night. I stayed there earlier this year, it really has nothing in common with any CY in the US

Last edited by bennos; Aug 24, 2011 at 4:47 pm
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, DL, BA, LH
I'm in, count me as definite.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 4:58 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Hotels and flights (except HND-SHA) booked, so I guess I'm confirmed.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:20 pm

Programs: No Longer Anything
JenGal +1 can no longer make it. Hopefully another year. Have fun!
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:04 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
I'm pretty much back on board. Looking at the Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund on points, or points and cash.

Any locals care to comment on this choice? I see Holiday Inn and HIX for really cheap - is that a location issue?

The Westin is still available on Expedia etc., but NOT on the SPG website. What?

Is there any news on events? The question is, will there be organized events throughout the weekend or should I investigate what to do on my own? Asia is very intimidating to me, so I really need to plan ahead.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:05 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by lili
I'm pretty much back on board. Looking at the Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund on points, or points and cash.

Any locals care to comment on this choice? I see Holiday Inn and HIX for really cheap - is that a location issue?

The Westin is still available on Expedia etc., but NOT on the SPG website. What?

Is there any news on events? The question is, will there be organized events throughout the weekend or should I investigate what to do on my own? Asia is very intimidating to me, so I really need to plan ahead.
Usually, the HIX and HI's are fine, better than the US properties, just that the really cheap ones are in the not so great or convenient areas. However, I have done 4 stays at the HIX Zhabei, which is near the north train station (also next to the long distance bus terminal, so convenient- actually, the only way of- getting out to where I live and work in Haimen,) plus Metro lines 1, 3 and 4 with a short ride to line 2, so that gets you around the main areas easily. They even UPG'd me to suites on 3 separate weekend stays at CNY213 per night, so basically free for the two nights with the just expired $75 weekend rebate deal. Not sure about the Indigo on the Bund, but I plan to take a look in a couple weeks, when the next PC promo starts and will let you know.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:27 pm

Yay! It would be great if you can make it. I've looked at the Hotel Indigo and was tempted. It looks like a very nice place.

Asia doesn't intimidate me but I've never been to mainland China and it would be lovely to have company for some extra curricular exploring. I'll arrive on Wednesday afternoon (Nov 9th) and leave on Monday. Staying at Le Royal Méridien for the first two nights and the Westin Bund Center for three nights.

I can see the Westin's "Red Hot Deal" on the hotel's website by the way.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:35 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold

Right now we have an area tour on friday, China Eastern Air pilot training facility tour on Saturday, brunch on Sunday.

Hope to see you there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.