Wiki Posts
Search

The Official Fall 2011 China DO Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2011, 9:32 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by spaceman
That is true. Unfortunately bschaff1 is not getting in until sometime on Friday and not available to lead the herd until Sunday. If someone else is interested in taking the ball for Friday we are certainly open to any help or suggestions.
Well, there are the Chinese tour buses that leave from the stadium for day trips to various water cities and things. I was thinking of such a trip on Sat or Sun, but haven't any leadership skills. Below are some interesting and cheap ones that probably won't overlap Brad's Sunday tour.
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/city...n/town-bus.htm scroll down to Tourist Bus Lines. There is a description after each tour that tells what you will see.

Tourist Bus Lines
The ten tourist bus lines all start at Shanghai Stadium and cover almost all of the famous attractions in the city center, the suburbs and those in neighboring areas. Each tourist line represents an option for a one-day tour. Schedules can be arranged in accordance with the timetable information on the ten lines given below:

Tourist Line 1
Bound for attractions in Songjiang District in a southwest suburb of Shanghai.

Frequency: every 20 - 40 minutes
Price: CNY2 - 8
Tel: 021- 64265987

Tourist Line 2
Runs between Shanghai Stadium and Huinan Town of Pudong New Area.

Frequency: every 15 - 20 minutes
Price: CNY2 – 12
Tel: 021-62701674, 021-64265986

Tourist Line 3
Terminates at the Huaxia Beach Tourist Area in Shanghai's east Pudong New District. This route takes in many of the modern sights such as the Lujiazui Finance and Trade Center, the Oriental Pearl TV Tower, the Jinmao Tower and the Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park.

Frequency: every hour
Price: CNY2 - 12
Tel: 021-64648536

Tourist Line 4
Operates between Shanghai Stadium and the Grand View Garden in the southwest Qingpu District, covering numerous places of interest in Qingpu, including the famous Zhujiajiao Ancient Water Town.

Frequency: every 30 - 60 minutes
Price: CNY2 - 16
Tel: 021-64265991, 021-56052581

Tourist Line 5
Runs between Shanghai Stadium and Dongping National Forest Park in Chongming County, the largest offshore island in Shanghai. The tourist bus need to be transported by a ferryboat operating between Baoyang Port on the mainland and Nanmen Port in Chongming. The ferryboat departs from Baoyang Port at 8:30, 9:00, 13:00, 16:45, and 17:00.

Frequency: every 40 - 90 minutes
Price: CNY2 - 12
Tel: 021-64265989

Tourist Line 6
Operates from Shanghai Stadium to attractions in the western Jiading District.

Frequency: every 45 minutes
Price: CNY2 - 10
Tel: 021-64265990
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 2MM
The following folks have indicated that they will be attending Dinner on Saturday 12 November at Di Shui Dong
NewbieRunner
Spaceman +1
Please count me in for dinner too.

My visa is currently in the hands of www.mychinavisa.com . I have requested multiple entry, 12 months.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:24 am
In memoriam

Printable taxi directions (in Chinese) to Saturday dinner at Di Shui Dong. Includes map.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by lili
Printable taxi directions (in Chinese) to Saturday dinner at Di Shui Dong. Includes map.
I'm very impressed, lili. Chinese characters too. I note this is in the French Concession, close to the Shaanxi Nan Lu subway station.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 3:02 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Please count me in for dinner too.

My visa is currently in the hands of www.mychinavisa.com . I have requested multiple entry, 12 months.
That should not be a problem. In the US they seem to issue the visas valid for 1-year with MULTIPLE entries; EVEN IF YOU DID NOT REQUEST IT
Old Oct 15, 2011, 4:32 pm
In memoriam

At the iTunes App store for your iPhone: DianHua translator for Pinyin, Traditional, Simplified, English. You can set up flash cards of your choice: (grape, as opposed to chrysanthemum) wine, bathroom, French fries, pizza, Kentucky Fried Chicken, and it's free.

Sadly Bu jian jiao or Bu la are going to be my phrases of the week. Can someone advise if that really means no chili pepper and no hot pepper? I am a wimp, planning to survive on rice, beer and great companionship.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 4:33 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I'm very impressed, lili. Chinese characters too. I note this is in the French Concession, close to the Shaanxi Nan Lu subway station.
Also note the restaurant is on the second floor
Old Oct 15, 2011, 4:56 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Here's the restaurant's website. They have three branches and this is the one we are going to.

http://www.diston.cn/showcontent.asp?id=14

And some of their specialities.

http://www.diston.cn/dish.asp
Old Oct 15, 2011, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
I'm in for Saturday dinner.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 6:35 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Bu jian jiao or Bu la are going to be my phrases of the week.
Can someone advise if that really means no chili pepper
and no hot pepper?
I don't know what the first phrase means - it might mean
"not seeing pockets" or something. "Bu la" means "not hot,"
so that could be handy. "Bu yao la" would mean "don't want
hot." "Bu yao la jiao" would mean "no hot pepper." I'm sure
there are a lot of folks more Chinese than I who could help
(after all, I'm only somewhat Chinese).
Old Oct 15, 2011, 6:45 pm

I plan to attend the dinner on Saturday.

For that matter, my intention is to attend all scheduled activities.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 7:52 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
At the iTunes App store for your iPhone: DianHua translator for Pinyin, Traditional, Simplified, English. You can set up flash cards of your choice: (grape, as opposed to chrysanthemum) wine, bathroom, French fries, pizza, Kentucky Fried Chicken, and it's free.

Sadly Bu jian jiao or Bu la are going to be my phrases of the week. Can someone advise if that really means no chili pepper and no hot pepper? I am a wimp, planning to survive on rice, beer and great companionship.
Knowing you, you might want to remember Wo (bu) xihuan chi yu which means "I (don't) like to eat fish" or you might try "Wo bu yao la de cai which means " I don't want anything Spicy". Now I am not going to guarantee what they consider not spicy vice us
Old Oct 15, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
I will also be attending dinner on Saturday night. I did a Google translation of the menu - "acid beans mess" sounds interesting!

Seriously though, the food looks terrific.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
The following is a description of the restaurant, per Google translation -

Maoming South Road

Author: diston Add time :2008-9-19 Visit: 139

A very modest signs hanging in the street, a turn into the stairs, started feeling a little unique: "earth"; and then further to go, the more "soil": the yellow brick walls, with eaves hanging wall, directly on the You can see the kind of brick, which is probably not rare in Shanghai, but unique; blue plaid printed fabric tablecloths, blue cloth surface bench, sit soft honking, wood window lattice, deep roof is dark, more show off more and more bright chandeliers, the restaurant has four large central concrete pillars, such as pepper and hung like a large straw basket, quite game and return to nature feeling.

Address: 56 Maoming Road South, 2nd Floor (near Changle Road)

Tel :021 -62,532,689

Original Text:一个非常不起眼的招牌挂在路边,一拐进楼梯,开始有点独特的感觉:“土”;再往里走,越发“土” :黄色砖瓦的墙,带屋檐的吊壁,直接就可以看见砖瓦的那种,这在上海恐怕不是极为少见,而是绝无仅有;蓝印 格子花布的桌布,蓝印花布面的凳子,坐上去软乎乎的,木头的窗格子,屋顶深处是一片漆黑,越是衬出吊灯越发 的明亮,餐厅中央有4根大的水泥柱子,挂有诸如辣椒和大之类的草编的篮子,颇有野味和回归自然 的感觉。

Just not sure about sit soft honking....
Old Oct 15, 2011, 9:43 pm
In memoriam

Knowing you, you might want to remember Wo (bu) xihuan chi yu which means "I (don't) like to eat fish" or you might try "Wo bu yao la de cai which means " I don't want anything Spicy". Now I am not going to guarantee what they consider not spicy vice us
It's my problem, not theirs. I just wish they didn't consider shrimp a vegetable

Rice will keep me alive, although I've heard it's not a staple in Shanghai. Spicy - again my problem, not theirs. I'll be fine. Looking forward to the trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.