Wiki Posts
Search

The Official Fall 2011 China DO Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2011, 8:21 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Post number 2 has been updated to reflect where folks are staying, at least as far as what they have posted.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 7:56 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Saturday November 12
- China Eastern Tour: China Eastern Airlines has their home hub in Shanghai and we will have the opportunity to tour their commercial pilot training facilities. (http://www.ceaftc.com/CeaftcWeb/Intr...nyInfo_En.aspx). The tour will be approximately 4 hours and we anticipate meeting at the Westin at 10:00AM.
FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE INDICATED YOU ARE COMING WE NEED A FINAL COUNT OF THOSE WHO WILL BE ATTENDING THE China Eastern Tour. Please PM me your intent ASAP
Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:43 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Who is Attending the China Eastern Training Facility Tour

The following folks have indicated that they will be attending the tour of the China Eastern Airlines Flight Training Facility on Saturday 12 November

Acpccl
Bennos +1
chchkiwi
ckpeter
Ellyse
FriendlySkies
frostie +1
fsfguy
gvdIAD
KAndre
lili
rbAA +1
restlessinRNO
Ryu2 +1
Spaceman +1
Sabalca
TravellerOnline
wpyeh
wrxmom
Kandre
Sabalca
FriendlySkies
Wijomas

Last edited by spaceman; Nov 1, 2011 at 3:47 am Reason: update
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by spaceman
FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE INDICATED YOU ARE COMING WE NEED A FINAL COUNT OF THOSE WHO WILL BE ATTENDING THE China Eastern Tour. Please PM me your intent ASAP
I plan to attend.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
I won't make it, I'm stuck in YUL for a while...
Old Oct 11, 2011, 3:17 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I've at last posted my visa application and am checking its progress online.
So far...

• Package received
  • Application Being Processed by the Visa Center

more to come...

• Application Being Processed by the Chinese Embassy/Consulate
  • Processing result has been returned in Visa Center
  • Package released to courier company or postal service

I couldn't retrieve my application online at first since I forgot to include the contact telephone number on the "Application by Post Check List" which I had to send with the application form but I managed to find it later by the mail tracking number. Phew!

I hope they are not going to send the whole thing back just because I failed to include a telephone number on the check list. I did of course write my home, mobile and work telephone numbers on the application form itself, but why on the check list?

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Oct 11, 2011 at 7:00 pm
Old Oct 11, 2011, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
I have also sent my visa application and, according to the tracking record, it was received by the Chinese Embassy in Wellington this morning. I checked it and checked it before mailing as I know how picky these folks can be. So, fingers crossed that I filled it all out correctly. If everything goes smoothly I should have it back by 21st October at the latest.

Will be in Shanghai in four weeks' time - yippee!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:21 am

Programs: CI: Emer; CX: Sliver; DL: PM; PC: RA;
The following folks have indicated that they will be attending the tour of the China Eastern Airlines Flight Training Facility on Saturday 12 November

Bennos +1
chchkiwi
ckpeter
Ellyse
fsfguy
gvdIAD
NewbieRunner
restlessinRNO
Spaceman +1
TravellerOnline

Will attend, thanks.

PS change stay to IC shanghai Puxi
Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:41 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

The status of my visa application has now changed to:

• Processing result has been returned in Visa Center
  • Visa/Passport will be returned to the applicant(s) soon ^

Let's hope they've issued a double-entry visa for 6 months as I plan to return to PEK in February for another DO.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 2:12 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
[QUOTE=NewbieRunner;17257328]I've at last posted my visa application and am checking its progress online.
So far...

I couldn't figure out how to get to a Chinese embassy (well,Tijuana maybe - not!) so used the Oasis visa service which appears to be very closely connected to the Chinese Embassy in Wash DC. Handled in 4 days, no expedite fee, got a one-year multilple entry visa for same cost as single entry (I believe $140 for US citizens.) Done and done, easy peasy. Cost $50 for service, but the alternatives were not only more expensive, but extremely time-consuming and annoying.

I'm set for the Le Meridien on arrival. I believe Thursday, may stay longer, will move to Hilton Sunday, may try out the new Indigo in between.

Should I sign up for the Air China tour "just in case"? I'm interested, but my time in Shanghai is short and I'm more interested in the city than air facilties.

Last edited by lili; Oct 13, 2011 at 2:20 pm
Old Oct 13, 2011, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by lili
I couldn't figure out how to get to a Chinese embassy (well,Tijuana maybe - not!) so used the Oasis visa service which appears to be very closely connected to the Chinese Embassy in Wash DC. Handled in 4 days, no expedite fee, got a one-year multilple entry visa for same cost as single entry (I believe $140 for US citizens.) Done and done, easy peasy. Cost $50 for service, but the alternatives were not only more expensive, but extremely time-consuming and annoying.

I'm set for the Le Meridien on arrival. I believe Thursday, may stay longer, will move to Hilton Sunday, may try out the new Indigo in between.

Should I sign up for the Air China tour "just in case"? I'm interested, but my time in Shanghai is short and I'm more interested in the city than air facilties.
Great! There'll be three of us (you, chchkiwi and myself) at Le Meridien at the start. ^ We could organise something for 10th if you like.

According to what I've read in the China visas thread, a one-year multiple entry visa for US citizens seems to be standard. Unfortunately UK isn't such a favoured nation. A double-entry visa at least only costs 50% more and I'll save on the service charge and shipping.

I was also undecided about the Flight Training Facility tour but thought we would get to see something ordinary tourists don't see.

Update: My visa status has now been upgraded to
Package released to courier company or postal service!

Update 2: Saturday morning - got my passport back with a double-entry visa valid till April 2012! ^

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Oct 15, 2011 at 1:29 am Reason: update
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:01 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Saturday 12 November

- Dinner: 8:00 PM, Venue: Di Shui Dong located at 56 Mao Ming South Road, 2nd Floor (by Change Le Road) Shanghai. Comes with some great recommendations, check this link out or do a web search on the name http://accidentalepicurean.com/2010/...sion-shanghai/
We need to have a rough count of attendees in order to make a booking. Please PM me or post your intentions
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:05 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Who is Attending Dinner Saturday Night

The following folks have indicated that they will be attending Dinner on Saturday 12 November at Di Shui Dong

bennos +1
chchkiwi
ckpeter
FriendlrSkies
frostie +1
fsfguy
gvdIAD
KAndre
lili
NewbieRunner
rbAA +1
restlessinRNO
Spaceman +1
wrxmom
Kandre
Sabalca
FriendlySkies
Wijomas

Last edited by spaceman; Nov 1, 2011 at 3:48 am Reason: update
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:13 am

We need to have a rough count of attendees in order to make a booking. Please PM me or post your intentions
Count me in for the dinner!

I see from the first post that the tour of Shanghai has moved from Friday to Sunday.

Friday November 11

- Agenda: OPEN! If anyone has any ideas or willing to lead something, let me know

- Dinner: 8:00 PM. Venue

Sunday November 13

- Shanghai Tour: bschaff1 is putting together a tour for the day to visits the sites and different areas of Shanghai including the Bund and Pudong. This will consist of taking taxis and trains and will go until 5:00 PM. We will stop for lunch along the way.
Meet at Hyatt Regency on the Bund at 10:30 AM More to follow soon

- Dinner: Timing is up in the air since I'm sure some people will be leaving this evening
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:18 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I see from the first post that the tour of Shanghai has moved from Friday to Sunday.
That is true. Unfortunately bschaff1 is not getting in until sometime on Friday and not available to lead the herd until Sunday. If someone else is interested in taking the ball for Friday we are certainly open to any help or suggestions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.