The Official Fall 2011 China DO Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official Fall 2011 China DO Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2011, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Trying to google translate the site for the financial tower tour, but am getting this message. Would somebody mind translating it?

I think it is saying something about system upgrade in progress.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by lotusdog
New interested person here. I just found that fares went down to Shanghai and put one on hold til tomorrow if I can get the other logistics worked out. I'm told 2-3 days expedited visa is possible. Fare is not as great as I found a couple weeks ago, but gives me the miles I need for the year.

Will report back either way.
Talk about a last-minute decision!

Hopefully you can join us.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:10 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
New interested person here. I just found that fares went down to Shanghai and put one on hold til tomorrow if I can get the other logistics worked out. I'm told 2-3 days expedited visa is possible. Fare is not as great as I found a couple weeks ago, but gives me the miles I need for the year.

I too am brand new and interested. Is there still room for all the Friday and Saturday events? JUST PUT A TICKET ON HOLD today. Need to check with hubby when he gets home.

ANY FEMALES NEED A ROOMIE?
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:00 pm

Count Me In.

Flight AA 289 (ORD/PVG) Thursday 11/10 Arrive ORD 08:25 from JAX.Look for Yellow Flyertalk Tag in AC.

Please Add me to the Friday dinner.
Saturday Tour and dinner.
Sunday Shanghai Tour. And Whatever else.

Friday,Le Royal Meridien
Saturday,Westin
Sunday,Le Meridien
Monday 11/14 Flight AA 288 (PVG/ORD)
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Getiton
Count Me In.

Flight AA 289 (ORD/PVG) Thursday 11/10 Arrive ORD 08:25 from JAX.Look for Yellow Flyertalk Tag in AC.

Friday,Le Royal Meridien
Saturday,Westin
Sunday,Le Meridien
See you in the AC. On the same flight to PVG
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:51 am
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
+1, I'll also have a yellow tag but a slightly different shade of yellow with a slightly different forum name....
Old Nov 2, 2011, 4:05 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Getiton
Count Me In.

Friday,Le Royal Meridien
Saturday,Westin
Sunday,Le Meridien
Welcome aboard. Please note that the Shanghai city tour is on Friday. Keep your eye on the thread for updates.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold

I won't be coming as I found an "easier" mini-vacation to Europe and let my itinerary-on-hold cancel.

Thanks to the organizers and I will be better prepared with visa in hand for the next opportunity.

Have a wonderful time!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by lili
But I'm thinking a visit to Cloud 9, the bar on the 87th floor of the Hyatt might be just as worthwhile and about the same cost.
Just FYI, when I went to Cloud 9 they pulled the "you agree to be charged in US$ at a higher mark up because we printed this in text so faint you can't read it in the dim light" trick.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 5:59 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by bennos
Just FYI, when I went to Cloud 9 they pulled the "you agree to be charged in US$ at a higher mark up because we printed this in text so faint you can't read it in the dim light" trick.
Thanks for the heads up. I was reading about that in the China forum. Any advice on avoiding that?

Hope taxis are cheap. I'm now equipped with my only paid app Shanghai Taxi Guide mentioned upthread.

Just watched "Shanghai Kiss" on Hulu.com and the city looks fantastic. Can't wait.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by lili
Thanks for the heads up. I was reading about that in the China forum. Any advice on avoiding that?
Cloud 9 was the only place I noticed it... just make sure to check your receipts carefully before signing anything. It's not enough to see RMB on it, there should be nothing mentioning agreeing to be charged in USD or a USD total.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Have just received notification that TG no longer does the PVG-BKK morning flight so United has rerouted me on SQ to SIN, a short layover in SIN and then on a nonstop into CHC, all in C!

This change also means I will be departing PVG day later (the 15th) so for the few who will still be there on the 14th, I'm up for a trip to Suzhou or wherever.

Now need to organize an extra night's accommodation, but will most likely stay on at the Westin.

Getting quite excited - just three days until departure!
Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Getiton Count Me In.

See you both in the AC, I'm also on the same flight to PVG. Look for the person sleeping off in the farthest corner (or the kids room if it's empty) since I'll have arrived from LAX on the redeye.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by wrxmom
Originally Posted by Getiton Count Me In.

See you both in the AC, I'm also on the same flight to PVG. Look for the person sleeping off in the farthest corner (or the kids room if it's empty) since I'll have arrived from LAX on the redeye.
Are you both in Y, or were you able to find your way into C?
Old Nov 5, 2011, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Are you both in Y, or were you able to find your way into C?
On the way there I'm in C, thanks to a wonderful surprise from alicesantamonica.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.