Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:40 am

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Attendance: Possible
Date Choice: November 11-14
# of attendees: 1
Hotel Preference: Hyatt
Other suggested activities: Flexible
Old Nov 5, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Attendance: Interested
Date Choice: Nov 11-14
# of attendees:1 or 2
Hotel Preference:IC, Hyatt, Hilton...best group rate. I have no real status anywhere...
Other Suggested activities: Shanghai Museum. One of the most spectacular museums I have ever been to.
Might be necessary to be an option as I would not like to be limited to just one or two hours there.

Last edited by dedehans; Nov 5, 2010 at 3:20 pm
Old Nov 6, 2010, 1:15 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Hotel PreferenceMarriot, Hilton..
Old Nov 6, 2010, 1:47 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, DL, BA, LH
Date Choice: Nov. 11-14
Hotel Preference: Non-western chain hotel, i.e. Barron Business Hotel or the Metropole - if you're paying, they're much better value than a western chain in China.
Other Suggested activities:
A tour of one of the airlines in Shanghai or of PVG airport or something along those lines would make the trip far more interesting and more likely for me since I know Shanghai reasonably well and spend some vacation time there every year. This would however, likely require someone with a contact, maybe someone on the Flyer Tea side(?).

I'd be interested to know what activities the people on Flyer Tea would be interested in doing.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Attendance: Definite
Date Choice: Nov
# of attendees: 1, maybe 2
Hotel Preference: Hilton
Other Suggested activities: flexible, anything with some walking associated with it
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Interest looks to be really strong. Once a date is decided on we will qualify as an official DO, eligible for posting in the Consolidated Do Thread
Old Nov 8, 2010, 6:59 am

Seems most people here prefer Nov, we'll wait for TravellerOnline to post a similar post on FlyerTea and pick a date that would work for most people.

As for a tour of the facility @PVG/SHA, if we have enough responses, we can certainly ask folks on FlyerTea if they've got contacts. But does anyone ever had experience dealing with the airport authority and request for such tour?
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:48 am

I think that for PVG/SHA facility tours, it might have to or be easiest to go through an airline that's a customer at the facility. The airlines with the most clout would be the best bet, I think that China Eastern has the biggest presence there, they're joining Skyteam next year so a DL contact might work and they currently have codeshares with AA so an AA contact might work. Though working directly with UA, DL, AA might also be possibilities.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 8:19 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Attendance: Probable
Hotel Preference Hilton or IC.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: AA: Exec. Plat, 4MM+, UA: 1K, 3MM+, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt: Globalist, Hilton: Diamond
Ok, here we go..

Attendance: Probable
Date: Nov 11-14
Attendees: 1 , maybe 2
Hotel: Starwood or Hilton
Activities: Airport facility tour

Cheers
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Lifetime P, IC RA, Hyatt D
Some comments on the hotel chain properties in Shanghai:

Hilton
- The current Hilton Shanghai is an old property. It used to be one of the earliest 5 star hotels in Shanghai. Good location on the border of French Concession. But time has taken its toll on the property.
- The brand new Waldorf Astoria is great, right on the bund. But it's tough to find a rate that's lower than $300/night. Great place to stay if you have a free Hilton night.

Starwood
- Le Royal Meridien(CAT5) is great, right on Nanjing Raod (the main shopping street in Shanghai) at People Square (the geographic center of Shanghai) with 3 subway stations. The best rate we can find is $110++. Upgrade for platinum: Junior Suite.
- Westin Bund Center(CAT5) is close by. Though not as convenient and more expensive, but still a valid choice. Upgrade for platinum: Suite, sometimes.
- The St Regis(CAT4) is in Pudong and in the middle of nowhere. It's a pitty that such a good brand. Upgrade for platinum: Suite.
- The 12 Hengshan Road (Luxury Collection) and W are probably not ready for 2011 Shanghai DO.

Marriott
- The JW Shanghai(CAT5) is one of the world's most favorite JWs. It's right at the opposite side of People Square as Le Royal Meridien and enjoys the same location benefits. Great property. The best price we can get is about $130++. Upgrade for platinum: Suite.
- The brand new Ritz Carlton Pudong is gorgeous. Great view. In my opinion, it's one of the top three hotels in Shanghai, along with Penninsula Hotel and Park Hyatt. The best price we can find is about $180++. Upgrade for platinum: One category.
- The old Ritz Carlton Shanghai is not bad either. The best price we can get is about $130++. Upgrade for platinum: One category.
- Renaissance Zhongshan Park(CAT3) is a new property and is the world's tallest Renaissance. Located in a shopping mall with direct access to three subway lines. The best rate we can find is about $78++(A friend's company is in the building and their corporate rate is $75 net if that particular room type is available). Upgrade for platinum: Suite or executive floor.
- The new Marriott City Center(CAT4) will open in Jan 2011. Let's see how good it is.

InterContinental
- InterContinental Puxi is a new property. State of the art hardware. Ok location though. The best rate we can get is about $125++. Upgrade for RA: suite or executive floor.
- The brand new Indigo will open on December 16. Right on the south bund. Haven't paid a visit to the hotel yet. But we know the senior management at this property and might be able to get a good rate there.
- IC Pudong and Expo are not that conveniently located.

Hyatt
- Park Hyatt is one of the top 3 hotels in Shanghai and commands the relavant price. The best rate we can get is about $280++. Upgrade for diamond: Breakfast.
- Hyatt on the Bund is great. Sweeping view of both sides of the river. The best rate we can get there is about $160++. Upgrade for diamond: executive floor river view.
- Grand Haytt used to be the tallest hotel in the world. But not my favorite among the Hyatt properties in Shanghai anymore. Upgrade for diamond: executive floor river view.

These are probably the best properties in Shanghai among the 4 major chains. If FTs are interested value properties, I can comment on other properties as well.

My personal favorites(value for money) in Shanghai are:
- Le Royal Meridien
- JW Marriott
- Ritz Carlton Pudong(if you can get lounge access)
- Hyatt on the Bund

My value hotels choices in Shanghai are:
- Renaissance Zhongshan Park
- Renaissance Yu Garden
- Courtyard Xujiahui
- InterContinental Pudong
- Crowne Plaza Shanghai

If anyone has any questions on hotels in Shanghai, please let me know. Enjoy your stay in Shanghai.

Last edited by TravellerOnline; Nov 12, 2010 at 12:47 pm
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:40 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TravellerOnline
Some comments on the hotel chain properties in Shanghai:

If anyone has any questions on hotels in Shanghai, please let me know. Enjoy your stay in Shanghai.
Thanks for the great description and research. Le Royal Meridian sounds like a great location and property. I have nothing against Marriott (finally made Silver) but every time I am in one I get the feeling I have entered a palace and I wonder what they would think when a bunch of FT's take over the executive lounge.....
Old Nov 12, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: Starwood, Delta, American Airlines, USA, United
Interested in the Nov date
Old Nov 12, 2010, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by TravellerOnline
These are probably the best properties in Shanghai among the 4 major chains. If FTs are interested value properties, I can comment on other properties as well.

What do you like in the value range? I'm interested in boutique type hotels, preferably non-western-chains, in the $50-100 range.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA *G; Delta Diamond; AA EXP; Marriott LT Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Date Choice: Nov. 11-14
Hotel Preference: SPG, Hyatt or Marriott will do
Other Suggested activities:
I just kind of want to eat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.