Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official Fall 2011 China DO Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2010, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I never expected to see the Ritz and JW Marriott under $300 let alone almost 1/2 that price. Is it cheaper in Asia, low season?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:39 pm

Programs: All
Attendance: Interested
Date Choice: Nov
# of attendees:1, plus1?
Hotel Preference: frugal
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:58 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Lifetime P, IC RA, Hyatt D
Originally Posted by CDKing
I never expected to see the Ritz and JW Marriott under $300 let alone almost 1/2 that price. Is it cheaper in Asia, low season?
Generally speaking, the hotels in Asia are cheaper. These rates are pre-negotiated(qualifying and very good) rates.

Last edited by TravellerOnline; Nov 14, 2010 at 8:36 am
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:42 am

Le Royal Meriden Shanghai is a very good choice. I have stayed over 30 times there and am very satisfied with the service there.

JW Shanghai is at a similar location. In terms of lounge, the lounge at JW offers better food than Le Royal Meridien. They are quite friendly too -- I guess that's why it's one of the world's most favorite JWs, according to a poll at FlyerTalk. It's slightly more expensive though(about $20). They do tend to offer full suite upgrades for platinum, rather than the standard junior suite at Le Royal Meridien.

Anyway, both hotels are very viable choices. You can walk from one hotel to another in about 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by spaceman
Thanks for the great description and research. Le Royal Meridian sounds like a great location and property. I have nothing against Marriott (finally made Silver) but every time I am in one I get the feeling I have entered a palace and I wonder what they would think when a bunch of FT's take over the executive lounge.....

Last edited by TravellerOnline; Nov 14, 2010 at 9:38 am
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:41 am

Most people on FlyerTea prefer November. The most common response us: Well, this is really interesting event and we would like to attend. But it's too far away and we can't plan that far away.

Originally Posted by NYC101
Seems most people here prefer Nov, we'll wait for TravellerOnline to post a similar post on FlyerTea and pick a date that would work for most people.

As for a tour of the facility @PVG/SHA, if we have enough responses, we can certainly ask folks on FlyerTea if they've got contacts. But does anyone ever had experience dealing with the airport authority and request for such tour?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Please add me to the "Maybe" list! It's too far in advance to plan a date, so any date is fine with me.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:18 am

The general consensus appears that Nov 11-14 will work best for both Flyertalkers and FlyTeas. Plus 11/11/11 isn't a date that come around too often...

Therefore, the front page has been updated with the Nov date as the official DO date. Please review your attendance and hotel preference and notify us if anything changes.

Eddie(UpgradedFirst) is looking into the hotel rate for us and remember the more people we get the more bargaining power we have.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Always nice to have a date now. It help a lot as we can book awards the day they become available.

I'm reconfirming my intent to show up for November barring any force majeure* events:

*As used in this rule, “force majeure” means actual, threatened or reported:
(1) Weather conditions or acts of God
(2) Riots, civil unrest, embargoes, war, hostilities, or unsettled international conditions
(3) Strikes, work stoppages, slowdowns, lockout, or any other labor-related dispute
(4) Government regulation, demand, directive or requirement
(5) Shortages of labor, fuel, or facilities
(6) Any other condition beyond my control or any fact not reasonably foreseen by myself
Old Nov 23, 2010, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Too early to know for SURE, but definitely interested!!

Attendance: HOPE SO!
Date Choice: Nov 11-14
# of attendees: 1
Hotel Preference: Either LM or Westin on the Bund
Other Suggested activities: We've done brunch at M on the Bund in the past, that was a LOT of fun.

Dave
Old Nov 23, 2010, 2:02 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
Attendance: Interested
Date Choice: Nov
# of attendees: 2 (myself and Mr Falconea
Hotel Preference: Not too expensive. With non-smoking floor and restaurant, if possible.

Looking forward to seeing how it pans out!

I am planning a trip to Hong Kong at around this time - are there any interesting transport options between Hong Kong and Shanghai? Train?

Audrey
Old Nov 23, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Attendance: Most interested
Date Choice: November
# Attending: 1
Hotel Choice: Probably LM
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In a few more weeks i will be able to book
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:18 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Count me curious. Perhaps intrigued. Possible. Okay, I wanna go, but there are other things to consider.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 7:02 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Finally convinced the other half so please put Mrs Spaceman down as a definite ^
Old Nov 30, 2010, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Originally Posted by lili
Okay, I wanna go, but there are other things to consider.
Such as?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.