Reload this Page >

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
Options

Originally Posted by tommy777
Just had our call today and after cleaning out the list of participants that has not paid, we are in the hole 9K USD

Yes, there has been some signups the last week, but it pretty much made up for the people who have canceled/not paid up.

So the tally is STILL over 30 seats open...

We have gotten a lot of suggestions, thank you for sending them. The problem with most of the suggestions is time.

So in my opinion, we have 3 options:

Option 1
We can sell a premium economy with the middle seat open in the first rows, the latest shuttle from the Sheraton and Concierge to the gates in IAH and PHX, but the same service on board as Economy, but you receive F miles .

Option 2
Everyone forks over 50 bucks. (a logistical nightmare )

Option 3
We kick off 15 people and downgrade to a 737-900

My guess is we'll do option #1 and hope we can get 20 people to go for that deal...

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Option 1 depending on cost would work for me.....but you should then do something on board as well....just sayin'....
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:58 pm

Option 1
We can sell a premium economy with the middle seat open in the first rows, the latest shuttle from the Sheraton and Concierge to the gates in IAH and PHX, but the same service on board as Economy, but you receive F miles .
How much are we talking about to purchase this option?

And how would it work, i.e. separate payment on Paypal, cash on delivery....

Did / will you have to pull some airlines aside and beg them for more miles in this case?

Last edited by anat0l; Oct 18, 2010 at 4:16 pm
Old Oct 18, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, DL, BA, LH

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

My guess is we'll do option #1 and hope we can get 20 people to go for that deal...

I'll go for Option 1 depending on price, whether or not there's an extra on board. If you want to float this option, I think the sooner we know what the price will be, the more people will be able to sign up. If you take 20 center seats for this option, then potentially 40 people could buy them. I think the F miles is a great inducement.

As for Option 2, if there's still a deficit at departure, we could collect on board.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Given so many people had to offloaded from First Class due to space restrictions, the Economy Plus thing appears to be the smart thing to do.

Btw, I'd also like to know when I can or should expect my SPG account to reflect Platinum status...
Old Oct 18, 2010, 4:24 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fsfguy
I'll go for Option 1 depending on price, whether or not there's an extra on board. If you want to float this option, I think the sooner we know what the price will be, the more people will be able to sign up. If you take 20 center seats for this option, then potentially 40 people could buy them. I think the F miles is a great inducement.

As for Option 2, if there's still a deficit at departure, we could collect on board.
250 bucks is needed per person to break even
Old Oct 18, 2010, 4:25 pm

If Option 1 would cost $250, count me in.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 4:35 pm

USD 250? Sounds alright with me - I'll cough that up!*

* provisional on this proposal going ahead
Old Oct 18, 2010, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Wasn't the middle seat option floated months ago by FTers & shot down (granted, due to the galley issue, which this new proposal seems to take care of). Some of this might have been already solved or not been a problem if it had been done back then.

But I know that tommy, oliver, reb wanted to open it up to as many as possible cuz they truly wanted as many folk as possible to have this great trip, which is part of the reason they went for the larger plane. Good for them & we love them for it, but also now bad for them.

I've got to imagine that those who wanted F but got bumped down to E might ante up the extra $250. If my math is correct you need 36 people to do this? (9K divided by 250, so 18 rows or did I miss something)

BTW - do the people who actually paid for F get the last shuttle & concierge too? Think of it as the SMDo FCT treatment.

There were also a # of other marketing options mentioned by FTers over the last few months which didn't get implemented, or not until recently. So some of the last minute stuff could possibly have been avoided. But again, we're now at zero & counting, so coulda/shoulda is a moot point.

I don't understand the logistical nightmare part on #2. Ask all the folk who have registered to ante up $50 extra & via paypal by XX date (end of week maybe?). Let's face it. People going on this trip are already paying a significant amount of $$, whether they're flying E or F. $50 probably isn't going to make/break them attending.

I passed out some flyers at last weekend's Chicago Seminar Do, and some folk said they were interested in attending, but I was so busy w/ the charity raffle that I didn't get their handles. Sorry about that.

But speaking of raffles, you were going to do on-board for the LH PHX stuff or even other prizes - was speaking to another FTer last Thurs & we thought, why not offer up the raffle for the LH part & have that go to the deficit on the plane, although that might be more of an issue logistics-wise. Covering your nut is more important than charity. I know that sounds hard, but you know what I mean.

And I might have misinterpreted the $100 offer, but I told someone over the weekend who went on last year's do who was also in the photo of CNT article & wanted to go on SMDo2 but can't due to a biz trip (he was ok to fly to FRA for the dinner only, not the day activities) that if he did get anyone to sign up, that he could probably get the $100/person. Hope I didn't overspeak. Heck, think of it as the Amway multi-level marketing angle. BTW - my guess is that particular person would probably settle for attending the FRA dinner (and pay for the flight to FRA & hotel on his dime, so wouldn't cost you anything ).

I think # 3 would be the logistical nightmare because people have paid for flights to IAH.

FWIW - I'm still checking w/ folk on possibly attending, but know that some were confused today by the must pay by tomorrow or it's closed e-blast, which made a few think they shouldn't try any more.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Oct 18, 2010 at 4:54 pm
Old Oct 18, 2010, 4:49 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Assuming F earning, I'm very happy to kick in $250 x 2 for my traveling party.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
$250 is doable for me...especially since I was one of the downgraded ones
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:12 pm

I'd pay $50 to guarantee a window seat!
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
For those crediting to CO, -- the extra $250 for an extra 2000 EQMs (w/1000 RDMs) -- is a little more than what it costs to purchase EQMs through CO, currently. (Would love to know if any clarification was given re: PP MC bonus or 'Extra Mile' promo miles as mentioned earlier).

I, too, could be interested in this option 1!
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.94MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Top of climb
I'd pay $50 to guarantee a window seat!
+1

Sorry, $250 is a little too pricey for me to do option #1.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:36 pm

If I can have one, I will take one. Thanks.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Oct 18, 2010 at 5:42 pm
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by SS255
Maybe after meeting Doug Parker you can request to have your handle changed to USenamored.
I doubt it, because I will still probably be irritated with US, and I switched to DL in May 2008.

Just had our call today and after cleaning out the list of participants that has not paid, we are in the hole 9K USD

Yes, there has been some signups the last week, but it pretty much made up for the people who have canceled/not paid up.

So the tally is STILL over 30 seats open...

We have gotten a lot of suggestions, thank you for sending them. The problem with most of the suggestions is time.

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Tommy, I told a friend of mine about the DO, and he wants to go, but will probably not know about clearing his schedule until tomorrow, will you still be able to sell him a coach seat on the charter if we know he can go either late tonight or early tomorrow? He is willing to pay $699 for a coach seat (he might even pay the up charge for an empty middle), plus $41.50 for the FT awards. I offered to split the $100 referral fee which you offered the other day, with him. Will that work if he says yes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.