Reload this Page >

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2010, 9:11 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Wirelessly posted (FlyerTalk.com/wap is fun : BlackBerry8330/5.0.0.438 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/389)

oliver- thanks for the update. I will be reserving my space at roughly 1pm ET on the 11th when I get a break from work
Old May 31, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-4/11.0.102; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) BrowserNG/7.1.4)

Thank you for the update Oliver!

Since you mentioned the $100 deposit, can you already give us a rough idea of when the rest of the fees/fares will become due? Since it can add up to decent chunk of change, this information would be helpful for liquidity planning purposes.

Last edited by alex0683de; May 31, 2010 at 10:35 am
Old May 31, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I know! And I should have put a after the StarMegaDo time.

Cheers.
You are all good :-:Sharon:-:!
Old May 31, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Now comes the announcement:

Since we are still working on the contractual legalese to be ready to sign the charter documents with CO and sorting out the matter with paypal and since our webmaster will be travelling in east asia till june 8:

The sign up process incl preliminary booking will open on starmegado.com on Friday, June 11, at 12 noon Eastern (NYC) time.

The booking process will require you to provide:
- your personal details,
- specify the legs and class of service for the charter,
- pick and specify which of the sheduled flights you intend to book and on which date (UA feeder flights, TATL eastbound on LH/OS/LX, TATL westbound on LH, final TATL eastbound SEA-Europe on LH)
- specify if you require a discount / meetingworks code to get to/from IAH and later SEA
- indicate if you will stay at the Starwood properties that will host the event on the ground (BOLDING EMPHASIS MINE)

This registration will have to be secured by a 100$ non refundable deposit using a paypal button at the end of the form. The 100$ will be adjusted later against the charter booking.
Oliver or Tommy-

Could you please give us some details about the Starwood Hotels we will be staying in, and what the previously mentioned "fast track" to SPG status they are offering?

Also, I am especially interested to know how far away they will be from the events you have planned for us, and where there will be shuttle buses provided as part of the events, versus where we will have to provide our own transportation.

This information will not effect my decision about whether or not to book the charter, however, it may effect my decision about whether or not to stay in the "Headquarter" hotel at each stop. These questions are especially relevant for the last stop at PAE (Everett, Washington State), where Starwood does not have a hotel, and their closest hotel is located in SEA, more than 33 miles away from PAE, and more than 40 miles away from Everett.

Thank you, and thanks again for the tremendous job all of you are doing to put together :-:SMDO II:-:! ^

Andy

Last edited by USirritated; May 31, 2010 at 11:20 am Reason: to highlight/bold Starwood in the quoted post and my reply
Old May 31, 2010, 11:39 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
The sign up process incl preliminary booking will open on starmegado.com on Friday, June 11, at 12 noon Eastern (NYC) time.
Thanks for the update. So will we get those ex-Europe fares well before this date? I recall an earlier statement "We won't announce our plans or sell anything until it's ready to go". While obviously $100 is not much, greater details of the event and fares would not go amiss before I start spending any money.

You gotta gives us Europeans some time to make up our minds.
Old May 31, 2010, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At this point, for myself, I am out. Period- no way- even if it is free.
Flame away- however in my opinon shame on the organizers (yes, not mistaken) for foregtting about their European joiners- by the way the ones that supported and carried the last DO. Yes, no mistake- shame on you- forget it- sorry for you. Fullstop
Old May 31, 2010, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Flame away- however in my opinon shame on the organizers (yes, not mistaken) for foregtting about their European joiners- by the way the ones that supported and carried the last DO. Yes, no mistake- shame on you- forget it- sorry for you. Fullstop
You organize something like this, without compensation, and see if you can pull it off perfectly! Instead of just getting angry and pitching a fit, did you think about sending a private message to the organizers to ask questions about your particular needs? Your flaming method of complaining makes you sound petty and overly dramatic. You sound like a "Nattering nabob of negativity!"

Regardless, you swearing that you will not be going leaves more room for the people who swear that they are going!
Old May 31, 2010, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Question

... Plus our esteemed website programmer/operator is due for a business trip to Taiwan. ...
Ah, my homeland. Great!

Questions:
  1. I didn't get the email from the mailing list, yet my mailing list registration is correct and it wasn't in the Spam box. I'll have to cease depending on the mailing list.
  2. I ditto all of USirritated's questions.
  3. Originally Posted by oliver2002
    ... The booking process will require you to provide:
    - pick and specify which of the sheduled flights you intend to book and on which date (UA feeder flights ...
    Does this mean there'll be pre-specified ***-JFK flights for purchase via the booking process?
  4. Repeating my post #153:
    Originally Posted by Richard Chen
    Thanks for the referral to DL: IAH-EWR $169. Since I readis it safe to assume the charter lands @ IAH ~2p (CT) thus could reasonably fly >4p (CT) onwards from IAH?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 1:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Richard Chen
Ah, my homeland. Great!

Questions:
  1. I didn't get the email from the mailing list, yet my mailing list registration is correct and it wasn't in the Spam box. I'll have to cease depending on the mailing list.
  2. I ditto all of USirritated's questions.
  3. Does this mean there'll be pre-specified ***-JFK flights for purchase via the booking process?
  4. Repeating my post #153:
1. Hmm... I usually post the mailing list info here too. As far as the technical aspects go, please PM reb directly and he will help you out. (or send his son down to the basement to kick the box that hosts smd.com )
3. You can specify xxx for your xxx-JFK/EWR/LGA needs for the group fare

4. I wouldn't cut the booking soo close as shedule changes may happen. As you know charters don't have 1st priority in ATC matters.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 1:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USirritated
Could you please give us some details about the Starwood Hotels we will be staying in, and what the previously mentioned "fast track" to SPG status they are offering?

Also, I am especially interested to know how far away they will be from the events you have planned for us, and where there will be shuttle buses provided as part of the events, versus where we will have to provide our own transportation.
[/B]
Tommy met with Starwood last week to work out the details: the starwood contact was busy with personal matter the past months, so details are yet to be confirmed.

Yes we will arrange transportation to/from the venues to the specified hotels. You are free to choose any type of accommodation of location you like, however you then have to arrange your own transportation and be at the assigned meeting points in due time. We are aware of the PAE situation. The moderators and Randy will stay back in SEA for the weekend for a meeting, so the hotel will be downtown.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:01 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Questions:

1. You ask to specify if staying at Starwood - yes or no. What if you want Sheraton at FRA, but say Marriott at IAH? Can you specify the cities you would like Starwood group hotel? This question has been asked a few posts back.

2. If you are traveling on the group flight from JFK-FRA but not booking the group fare - how will you specify that you traveling to FRA for the FRA events but not booking the group fare?

3. Will bus transportation be provided from the group hotel in SEA to the location of the charter departure back to IAH?

Thanks,
Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:54 am
Original Poster

1. Yes, I can incorporate that into the questionaire/signup form
2. Will have a field for that in the mentioned form
3. Yes
Old Jun 1, 2010, 4:15 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
The booking process will require you to provide:
- your personal details,
- specify the legs and class of service for the charter,
- pick and specify which of the sheduled flights you intend to book and on which date (UA feeder flights, TATL eastbound on LH/OS/LX, TATL westbound on LH, final TATL eastbound SEA-Europe on LH)
- specify if you require a discount / meetingworks code to get to/from IAH and later SEA
- indicate if you will stay at the Starwood properties that will host the event on the ground
For those originating in and returning to Europe after the charter, is it necessary to specify the exact date of the TATL eastbound SEA-Europe at this stage (if not on 6 Nov)?

Can the TATL eastbound be SEA-FRA-XXX in Europe on LH? Or SEA-FRA only?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 4:29 am

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I'm sure that by the time we can book our tickets there will be a really nice TATL routing & group price for us, take it easy
Old Jun 1, 2010, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
For those originating in and returning to Europe after the charter, is it necessary to specify the exact date of the TATL eastbound SEA-Europe at this stage (if not on 6 Nov)?
No exact date for SEA-FRA needed, in fact the next flight is quite full so I'm speculating LH will probably welcome you to fly later.

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Can the TATL eastbound be SEA-FRA-XXX in Europe on LH? Or SEA-FRA only?
Still working on the deal, SEA-FRA-XXX should be possible, no promises.

Originally Posted by Bjornstrom
I'm sure that by the time we can book our tickets there will be a really nice TATL routing & group price for us, take it easy
I'm already in touch with Travelsig via PM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.