Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by flightmedic
My award flight, domestic, on AA metal, leaves in 3 hours from NY and I can get a boarding pass on line although me account is,locked. I am not taking the trip for personal reasons but I don’t think I would be unable to check a bag or board since I have a boarding pass.

More concerned with a business award from the west coast trans pacific on a partner in a few months. Not a lot of backup choices and it would be painful if I lost that flight. The partner confirmed 5 days ago I am still good and provided ticket numbers, seat assignments and their record locator.
Hate to break it to you, but you are almost certainly going to lose that transpac award. You should start looking (and booking) for backup options now.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Hate to break it to you, but you are almost certainly going to lose that transpac award. You should start looking (and booking) for backup options now.
Why would you say that? Lots of data points of flying successfully on non AA metal.
IAD_flyer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:22 am

Can someone shed some light how AA proceeds to move a locked account to terminated? Does it appear that targeted accounts have been locked and now are being worked as time permits? At the time when the termination occurs are all future flights canceled?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Robl
Why would you say that? Lots of data points of flying successfully on non AA metal.
Even at the slow pace AA is working this I'd assume they'll be through their backlog in a few months.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are equally lots of data points of flights being canceled between 30 hours and within olci time frame.

Basically it seems to be a complete crap shoot if your account is locked when you have award trips booked in the future, as to whether you can fly on the award or not. Hence it boils down to "Do you feel lucky?" type of decision.

If the trip is important and must go such as attending a family event, then get some feasible back up alternatives in place. If the trip is just a nice vacation, and while losing it would be painful, but would not really hurt anything (other than some cancellation costs on pre-paid bookings if you have already made those), then bet on your luck.

The reality is, NOBODY can tell you what is going to happen until it happens. But that does not mean you cannot use some logic to sort things out as best as you could.

You cannot let this thing consume your sanity. Use your head to evaluate the situation and take actions accordingly.
tom911 and mhdena like this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michaelr
Can someone shed some light how AA proceeds to move a locked account to terminated? Does it appear that targeted accounts have been locked and now are being worked as time permits? At the time when the termination occurs are all future flights canceled?
You are not serious in asking this?

Award bookings would be all gone, that is a given.

Revenue bookings, i.e. pay with Money, should be kept in place. You will not be able to earn AA miles because the account is terminated but you should still be able to fly, as well as credit the miles to partner program.
mhdena likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:48 am

Is there a data point on a ticketed non AA metal flight being cancelled? I would have thought AA cancelling a booked Iberia flight would be cumbersome to do.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there a data point on a ticketed non AA metal flight being cancelled? I would have thought AA cancelling a booked Iberia flight would be cumbersome to do.
1) Yes. Learned from multiple sources, different cases including a person only has 2 SUBs in 2019 and 1 SUB in 2019, though all from mailers. Flights were R/T partner, canceled 1.5 days before departure followed by account suspension (terminated) email.

2) No. AA can always cancel whatever is booked with 001 stock, i.e. tickets issued by AA. This is universal for all airlines, not unique to AA. The ticket issuing airline can do whatever it wants to do on their own tickets. whether intentionally or accidentally. That is why there are many stories about tickets not being reissued properly after flight changes, causing partners not seeing the ticket - the importance on one must stay vigilant on award bookings esp far out in the future.

Likewise the operating airlines must rely on the tickets stay good in order to honor the flight obligation. Else they dont get paid.

Partners do not get paid until flight is complete. The payment is thru complex inter-airlines agreements and offsetting transactions mechanism.
wrp96 and Robl like this.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 11, 2020 at 9:11 am
Old Jan 11, 2020, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by jkoenig51
I have tickets in my AA account that were purchased with money and one that was purchased with Alaska miles, those trips would not be cancels??Right
throughout this lockout period, i have successfully flown on paid AA tickets. These trips have ticketed in the usual fashion and have accrued the miles for those trips as well - the impact seems to be limited to redemption of AA miles.

I would assume that even after a complete shutdown (coming soon for all locked accounts i guess), all paid tickets would still be honored - miles accrual will need to be switched to a partner given the ban from AA program at that point.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Happy
You are not serious in asking this?

Award bookings would be all gone, that is a given.

Revenue bookings, i.e. pay with Money, should be kept in place. You will not be able to earn AA miles because the account is terminated but you should still be able to fly, as well as credit the miles to partner program.
I was serious, just wasn't clear. I realize that future award flights will be canceled. I am interested what the timing of this is. Are there data points that AA is currently working though locked accounts and then terminating them as they get to them? I have 6 or 7 award flights booked this year and want to understand, if the process how and when AA moves a locked account to terminated is known at this point in time. My next flight is in March, I assume by then, I will know either way. Alternatively, it's feasible that AA simply leaves the account locked forever.

Last edited by michaelr; Jan 11, 2020 at 9:33 am
Old Jan 11, 2020, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bludgeon29
throughout this lockout period, i have successfully flown on paid AA tickets. These trips have ticketed in the usual fashion and have accrued the miles for those trips as well - the impact seems to be limited to redemption of AA miles.

I would assume that even after a complete shutdown (coming soon for all locked accounts i guess), all paid tickets would still be honored - miles accrual will need to be switched to a partner given the ban from AA program at that point.
After termination, one wouldn't receive any status benefits when flying an AA or oneworld/partner ticket paid with money, nor any other benefits associated with the AA FF account, such as early boarding or a free bag for a credit card linkage. I would expect that any instrument supported upgrades would be cancelled too, but there's a chance they might not be noticed if the ticket has already been reissued. YMMV.
Happy likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I was serious, just wasn't clear. I realize that future award flights will be canceled. I am interested what the timing of this is. Are there data points that AA is currently working though locked accounts and then terminating them as they get to them? I have 6 or 7 award flights booked this year and want to understand, if the process how and when AA moves a locked account to terminated is known at this point in time. My next flight is in March, I assume by then, I will know either way. Alternatively, it's feasible that AA simply leaves the account locked forever.
If the account is locked forever (unlikely IMO), I would expect that one would still be able to continue to purchase tickets with money and associate them to the FF account so that any previously earned MM benefits would still apply. Stored passport/visa data and KTNs etc. should also automatically be attached to such tickets. YMMV.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have read enough in this and several related threads on FT, that NOBODY has been contacted by AA prior to their account terminations. There is no way to establish a communication channel with AA either.

NOBODY can tell you anything. I would even venture to say, even JonNYC could not give you an answer on what you are asking. You just have to make decisions based on a logical analysis of your own situation, instead of hoping someone would give you a DP to go by...

I doubt AA would lock account forever - it is either resolved or terminated, over time.

Your KTN and whatever, do NOT need to be associated to your account in order to be used for a flight.

There is a function on the reservation to EDIT Passenger Information, that you can add whatever needed to the reservation.

If you must buy an AA flight, when your account is locked, the miles will still credit to your account - but why? if you have no clue whether the account would survive? Why would you add miles to it?
Credit the miles to partner program would be the more sensible action.
IAD_flyer likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 11, 2020 at 11:24 am
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:21 am

What's the release date of AAL Annual Report? Management often elaborates on their strategies afterwards.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:09 pm

Is there any DP where someone with multiple SUBs using e/mailers (no other funky businesses) receives a termination email out of the blue (without having any contact with AA prior to termination)? Thanks.

Last edited by asdfghjk; Jan 11, 2020 at 12:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.