Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by IkeEsq
I have not really been following the Account Closure thread but I was under the impression that this sort of thing has happened to a few people.

This is part of my entire issue with AA's actions. They communicate before and after and give people who flat out violated their black-and-white rules a chance to make a deal but complete radio silence and no consideration to people who violated nothing but their ridiculous interpretation of their rules that no sane person would ever accept.
Except that every person who is a member of the AAdvantage Program, did accept the rules.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
The reality is, NOBODY can tell you what is going to happen until it happens. But that does not mean you cannot use some logic to sort things out as best as you could.

You cannot let this thing consume your sanity. Use your head to evaluate the situation and take actions accordingly.
Wife and I have been locked since Mid Dec. Have international award flights in April and June. No way am I going to risk getting cancelled awards/terminated last minute. It was consuming my sanity. Thankfully this far out we scored some great prices. We are so far ahead as far as 'free' travel from this game fulling knowing the game could be over at any time that paying for flights is just going back to joining the masses, until we're under 5/24.
Happy and LWT3 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by asdfghjk
May be I was not clear in my OP. When I said "contact with AA prior to termination", I didn't mean that AA security had contacted them before closing the account. What I meant is the members contacted AA for something unrelated such as changing an award booking or asking "why I can't use my points", etc. and that lead to the termination.
Much clearer. Thank you. I don’t know if there are any DPs of what you say. It’s plausible that the CSRs could “fastpass” an account to termination by flagging it for immediate review if a customer called in, but I believe JonNYC posted the message sent to CSRs and it didn’t seem they were instructed to do anything other than notifying that the account is under review.
asdfghjk likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Except that every person who is a member of the AAdvantage Program, did accept the rules.
The rule: Employees must wash hands before returning to work.

AA Interpretation: You use too much soap at home. You are fired.
Happy and MaxVO like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:54 am

Question for those having access to Reddit thread:

Putting aside "abusers", and just taking case of people who do not seem to have violated ANY T&C
- who never bartered or did anything funky with awards (had may be one redemption per year)
- did not open any "pet" or multiple accounts
- did limited churn (like 2 per year for 3 years - so 6 total cards) but always using offers addressed to them

Have been restricted and then terminated (substantial miles through partner travel (not AA) and bankdirect, shopping, etc.

Any successful stories of reinstatement? (wikipost says no but those with access to Reddit might have advice/suggestions)
(certain that there was no T&C violations)

(PM if posting here is a no-no)
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Robl
Is there a data point on a ticketed non AA metal flight being cancelled? I would have thought AA cancelling a booked Iberia flight would be cumbersome to do.
Yes, when one of our players' accounts was terminated JAL flights for two booked with AA miles were canceled too.
Richard Berg likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by desi

Putting aside "abusers", and just taking case of people who do not seem to have violated ANY T&C
- who never bartered or did anything funky with awards (had may be one redemption per year)
- did limited churn (like 2 per year for 3 years - so 6 total cards) but always using offers addressed to them

They are called members in good standing.

Besides maybe a one-off here or there, I don't think there are any substantial suspensions/closings of accounts as you describe above. In those cases, if they exist, you can search the original thread and see some are successfully reinstated.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Do we know what the bad behavior is yet?

I do not understand the "mailer" thing. What are people talking about when they say, "mailers"?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
What are people talking about when they say, "mailers"?
You may wish to review this thread:

Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching)

Mailers and eMailers are targeted offers to apply for a Citi AAdvantage credit card with different terms than public offers.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have been restricted and then terminated (substantial miles through partner travel (not AA) and bankdirect, shopping, etc.

Any successful stories of reinstatement? (wikipost says no but those with access to Reddit might have advice/suggestions)
(certain that there was no T&C violations)

(PM if posting here is a no-no)
That scenario cannot happen. Nobody would receive a targeted offer addressed to him IF he already has a Citi AAdvantage card. Barclays does not send out targeted offer afaik.
Citi has introduced restriction of Open or Close card in past 24 months disqualified sign up bonus since 2 or 3 years ago and ONLY very recently changed it to start the clock from Receiving signed up bonus.

Therefore only public offers could allow an applicant to have 4 sign up bonuses in the time frame you allude to, 1 personal 1 business from each issuer, may be another business on a different business the applicant also operates, from Citi or even Barclays.

The other 2 conditions are IRRELEVANT because it is quite clear by now that the crux of the matter is, targeted offers are being used by non-targeted applicants despite such behavior has been allowed / condoned / even encouraged, by Citi and being left alone by AA, until AA decided to take action.
It is rumored that Citi was actually behind that - as a highly regulated entity who might not be able to get away with such operation given its history of handling of approving targeted offers. So the dirty work is left to the entity that does not have any regulation overseeing the loyalty program to carry out.

Originally Posted by Global321
They are called members in good standing.

Besides maybe a one-off here or there, I don't think there are any substantial suspensions/closings of accounts as you describe above. In those cases, if they exist, you can search the original thread and see some are successfully reinstated.
They do not exist because one of the premises does not exist.
Global321 and mhdena like this.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 12, 2020 at 2:03 pm
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
So Citi has started limiting SUBs on AA?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
That scenario cannot happen. Nobody would receive a targeted offer addressed to him IF he already has a Citi AAdvantage card. Barclays does not send out targeted offer afaik.
Double-checked

4 personal + 2 business.
1st and 2nd personal and 1st business were from the web links (all 2016 time frame)
2nd business was from an envelope invite (2019)
3rd personal WAS from a post card type target offer with some code (2017)
4th personal WAS from an expired post card type target offer with some code (also 2017)
(in all cases, person applying matched name on the offere - was even prepopulated in the web form)

None in 2018.

Miles from all 6 cards including regular purchases (no MS) less than 300k
Total miles on the terminated account over 1.5M (from USair, recent partner travels, Bankdirect, Online purchases)

if this case is considered "not abuse" but victim of algorithm, what is the best recourse ?
whom to wtite politely to take a second look at the account?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:06 pm

Are the mods over on Reddit sub scared there is a mole or something? That guy DuffCalifornia seems to be missing the point that people with info would like to contribute.

Last edited by mia; Jan 12, 2020 at 7:17 pm Reason: Remove personal characterization.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Lekuxs15
Are the mods over on Reddit sub scared there is a mole or something? ....
it's as if they think AA has no idea what happened and needs a mole, lol

Reditt has no problem reading FT

Last edited by mia; Jan 12, 2020 at 7:18 pm Reason: Clean quote and remove personal characterization.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 7:09 pm

Total miles on the terminated account over 1.5M (from USair, recent partner travels, Bankdirect, Online purchases)

if this case is considered "not abuse" but victim of algorithm, what is the best recourse ?
Could you elaborate how your account was terminated -- verbally or in writing, was the term "abuse" ever mentioned during that process, etc?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.