Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 7:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator reminder

Please do not post personal characterizations of others, including people who are not currently posting in this thread. Write about ideas, not people.
notquiteaff, wrp96 and Robl like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
So Citi has started limiting SUBs on AA?
I don't understand the question.

Citi started officially limiting SUBs on public AA credit card offers quite a few years ago, first with 18 month language, then 24 month language, now 48 month language (but with different rules too when the number of months changed).

But Citi also has a history of creating "loopholes" around that:

First there was the World -> World Elite "loophole", where if you applied and got a World card, and then shortly afterwards Citi updated you to a World Elite card, that wiped out their memory that you'd applied for that card before, and you could apply yet again right away.

After that ended, people discovered that certain forms (not all forms) of mailers were missing the 24 (later 48) month language, and started using mailers (generally intended for other people) as another "loophole".

So are you asking about whether they've started limiting SUB on public applications (yes, many years ago, though with "loopholes" at times) or specifically on all mailers (that I don't know, the only thing close to a "mailer" that I've received recently is a card which told me to go a link for a not-the-best public offer, it had the 48 month language, and it had no codes of any length, so while I got it in the mail -- addressed to "RESIDENT", btw! -- it wasn't a "mailer" in the way that term is used in this forum)?
IAD_flyer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by LWT3
I realize nobody knows much, but I'm looking for opinions on what you would do in my situation. I have two international trips booked for March and April on AA metal. Account has been locked since sometime in early to mid December. I churned mailers and emailers heavily for years. Should I just assume my account and those trips are toast and book paid flights on another carrier, and if so, when? I could wait a few more weeks to see if more DPs roll in, but I don't want to wait so long that I lose good flight options on my airline of choice.
I’d book a backup now and eat a change fee if I survived. No one has been unlocked, people continue to be shutdown.

What’s your plan if you get shutdown right before your return in March? Because AA has left multiple people halfway around the world with no return trip in these shutdowns.

I have a trip in a few months, I’ve gotten around half a dozen SUBs in the last 2 years and I am locked (can’t redeem). Assuming account is toast. I booked backup flights and will eat the change/cancel fee on those if I survive that long. It’s given me the peace of mind I needed. Especially because I don’t want to spend the time at my destination wondering if I’m gonna get shutdown a few hours before my flight home.
Happy, wrp96 and mhdena like this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by desi
Double-checked

4 personal + 2 business.
1st and 2nd personal and 1st business were from the web links (all 2016 time frame)
2nd business was from an envelope invite (2019)
3rd personal WAS from a post card type target offer with some code (2017)
4th personal WAS from an expired post card type target offer with some code (also 2017)
(in all cases, person applying matched name on the offere - was even prepopulated in the web form)

None in 2018.

Miles from all 6 cards including regular purchases (no MS) less than 300k
Total miles on the terminated account over 1.5M (from USair, recent partner travels, Bankdirect, Online purchases)

if this case is considered "not abuse" but victim of algorithm, what is the best recourse ?
whom to wtite politely to take a second look at the account?
Do you have status with AA?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:20 am

Double-checked

4 personal + 2 business.
1st and 2nd personal and 1st business were from the web links (all 2016 time frame)
4th personal WAS from an expired post card type target offer with some code (also 2017)
(in all cases, person applying matched name on the offere - was even prepopulated in the web form)

None in 2018.

Total miles on the terminated account over 1.5M (from USair, recent partner travels, Bankdirect, Online purchases)

if this case is considered "not abuse" but victim of algorithm, what is the best recourse ?
wow, that’s a tough DP. Sorry to hear.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:12 am

Double-checked

4 personal + 2 business.

None in 2018.

Brutal, but also par for the course with AA. They DGAF regarding how loyal you've been or how you acquired the bonus offers.

I'm expecting them to terminate the accounts of anyone who only purchases discounted fare tickets since they abuse them by not buying regularly priced tickets as well.
Happy, 84fiero, cheaptom and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:41 am

Double-checked

4 personal + 2 business.

None in 2018.

I'm confused- are you locked or shutdown?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Global321
They are called members in good standing.

Besides maybe a one-off here or there, I don't think there are any substantial suspensions/closings of accounts as you describe above. In those cases, if they exist, you can search the original thread and see some are successfully reinstated.
There are indeed a number of such folks locked and shut down though except for desi I don't believe you'll find any of those DPs on FT. Likely there are more who don't even know they are locked and haven't been shut down yet. I'm not aware of anyone becoming unlocked.

Originally Posted by Happy
That scenario cannot happen. Nobody would receive a targeted offer addressed to him IF he already has a Citi AAdvantage card.
This isn't accurate. My wife and I have received targeted offers more than once despite having a current Citi AAdvantage card (had no need to use them at those times though). desi's post is another example. There are many others.

Double-checked

4 personal + 2 business.

None in 2018.

If you received a termination email, start with an email reply to them. You most likely won't get any response and at best, a meaningless boilerplate. But at least you're starting the documentation. Not sure what's best from there - maybe a snail mail to AA corporate? Others may have better suggestions for AA contacts. I wouldn't let it go at all if it were me, though - that's total bunk.
wrp96, Robl and sexykitten7 like this.

Last edited by 84fiero; Jan 13, 2020 at 11:23 am
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
There are indeed a number of such folks locked and shut down though except for desi I don't believe you'll find any of those DPs on FT. Likely there are more who don't even know they are locked and haven't been shut down yet. I'm not aware of anyone becoming unlocked.....
So there are no DP's but it is true?

Don't think so.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:03 pm
mia

So there are no DP's
No reports on Flyertalk does not mean there are no reports elsewhere.
GUWonder, Happy, flyer4512 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
So there are no DP's but it is true?

Don't think so.
There are DP's. You just aren't in the know.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Count me as someone who's received targeted mailers for cards I already have. Not just Citi -- Barclays does this too.
49penguins likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:54 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Richard Berg
Count me as someone who's received targeted mailers for cards I already have. ....
Targeted mailers without language excluding those who received a bonus in the last NN months?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Citi has sent us targeted mailers w/o time limit languages.

Barclays has sent us mailers with time limit language, but their computers gave the bonus anyway. (not for the Aviator, however, only their house brands like Venture and QS)
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
As I consider investing in another new AA promotion (the Bask Bank savings account promotion), I still haven't seen anything yet that indicates that those with multiple sign-up bonuses that

1) Only received one kind of any particular card
2) Responded only to mailed promotions that were targeted to them

Have been impacted as of yet. Though if anyone fits that criteria is around, please let us know

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.