Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxVO
What's the release date of AAL Annual Report? Management often elaborates on their strategies afterwards.
Jan 23. Conference Call 8:30 AM EST.

https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activi...s/aal/earnings

https://americanairlines.gcs-web.com/investor-relations

Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Is there any DP where someone with multiple SUBs using e/mailers (no other funky businesses) receives a termination email out of the blue (without having any contact with AA prior to termination)? Thanks.
Did you not read the upthread posts of this, and several related threads on FT?
That is part of the center of the whole discussion on the situation.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Jan 23. Conference Call 8:30 AM EST.

https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activi...s/aal/earnings

https://americanairlines.gcs-web.com/investor-relations

Did you not read the upthread posts of this, and several related threads on FT?
That is part of the center of the whole discussion on the situation.
I did. I don't remember seeing any here. I thought someone with access to reddit thread can provide some info.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did. I don't remember seeing any here. I thought someone with access to reddit thread can provide some info.
May be you would like to go over the threads again?
The same information has been reported so many times that should be any ambiguous / not knowing what is going on, as to how the process has been handled.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:29 pm

Any DPs Admirals Club Membership being terminated in conjunction with the lockdown?
Or is it just the AAdvantage account itself terminated?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:33 pm

Credit the miles to partner program would be the more sensible action.
How is this done? I book an AA flight on AA.com, but I can credit the miles to BA Avios instead?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cheaptom
How is this done? I book an AA flight on AA.com, but I can credit the miles to BA Avios instead?
It does NOT matter where you booked your flight.

Go to the Passenger Details - you can edit your FF number from there. Once you change the FF number to BA, you will NO LONGER see the booking in your AA account because now it no longer has the AA number attached to it. You can, still be able to pull up the reservation using the PNR (record locator) on AA website.

How much you can earn in BA program, depends on the flight's fare class and BA's earning scheme on partner flight. Fare class can be found from AA side though not easy. BA's earning scheme on partner flight obviously has to be found from BA site.
cheaptom likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bludgeon29
a complete shutdown (coming soon for all locked accounts i guess)
Now, this was something completely different than churning with mailers, but there is now a datapoint of AA offering to reinstate a froezn account upon payment of money. Big big money, but an offer to reinstate nevertheless:

Account Frozen/Audit - No Way to Respond? (starting at post 212)
Old Jan 11, 2020, 2:33 pm

May be you would like to go over the threads again?
The same information has been reported so many times that should be any ambiguous / not knowing what is going on, as to how the process has been handled.
Where did I say that I don't know what is going on or how AA handles this mess? A few DPs I see here are a long the line: I poked the bear... and my account is terminated.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 2:58 pm

Where did I say that I don't know what is going on or how AA handles this mess? A few DPs I see here are a long the line: I poked the bear... and my account is terminated.
Not sure what you've read or not, but to answer your question, there doesn't seem to be a clear pattern for how AA is targeting accounts. The accounts they deem to be in violation are locked, and at some point those members receive an email from CorpSec that their AAdvantage account has been terminated for "fraud". (AA's version of it) There is no prior communication, although some members have called in and when speaking with a representative have been told their account is under review and they will get an email. I don't think there has been any timeframe determined between these two events at this point, either.
Happy likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Now, this was something completely different than churning with mailers, but there is now a datapoint of AA offering to reinstate a froezn account upon payment of money. Big big money, but an offer to reinstate nevertheless:

I don't see that as relevant. AA handled it no differently than it has handled most direct ticket fraud freezes in the past. Some people are terminated permanently and others are made an offer to pay a cash and/or miles penalty in return for reinstatement. In this case, the OP was offered a settlement at 40% of the tickets' value.

This one is a different matter and AA may or may not handle it the same way. But, I would not read anything into other fact patterns.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
I don't see that as relevant. AA handled it no differently than it has handled most direct ticket fraud freezes in the past. Some people are terminated permanently and others are made an offer to pay a cash and/or miles penalty in return for reinstatement. In this case, the OP was offered a settlement at 40% of the tickets' value.

This one is a different matter and AA may or may not handle it the same way. But, I would not read anything into other fact patterns.
Agreed. I didn’t read the whole thread, but it seems the OP had flights booked on an invalid credit card, and nothing to do with churning.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1

My point was simply that generality. We don't know if AA will handle all cases in this mailers issue the same way. Just because we don't have any reports of any offers being made (a) doesn't prove that no offers were made, they may just not have been mentioned, and in any case (b) doesn't prove that no offers will be made. But, of course, neither does it prove that offers won't be made.

I could envision, for example, the greater chance that offers might be made to higher-Helix people, while little chance that offers would be made to people who never fly AA paid (only fly it on awards booked with miles earned through partners).

All I'm trying to say is that it increases the unknowns in the future of this mailers issue. (I was replying to someone who seemed to be saying that everyone who is currently locked will eventually be shut down, and I was just trying to point out that it could be much more nuanced than that.)
cheaptom likes this.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 11, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by DVDBob
Not sure what you've read or not, but to answer your question, there doesn't seem to be a clear pattern for how AA is targeting accounts. The accounts they deem to be in violation are locked, and at some point those members receive an email from CorpSec that their AAdvantage account has been terminated for "fraud". (AA's version of it) There is no prior communication, although some members have called in and when speaking with a representative have been told their account is under review and they will get an email. I don't think there has been any timeframe determined between these two events at this point, either.
May be I was not clear in my OP. When I said "contact with AA prior to termination", I didn't mean that AA security had contacted them before closing the account. What I meant is the members contacted AA for something unrelated such as changing an award booking or asking "why I can't use my points", etc. and that lead to the termination.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:44 pm

I have not really been following the Account Closure thread but I was under the impression that this sort of thing has happened to a few people.

This is part of my entire issue with AA's actions. They communicate before and after and give people who flat out violated their black-and-white rules a chance to make a deal but complete radio silence and no consideration to people who violated nothing but their ridiculous interpretation of their rules that no sane person would ever accept.
Richard Berg likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
My point was simply that generality. We don't know if AA will handle all cases in this mailers issue the same way. Just because we don't have any reports of any offers being made (a) doesn't prove that no offers were made, they may just not have been mentioned, and in any case (b) doesn't prove that no offers will be made. But, of course, neither does it prove that offers won't be made.

I could envision, for example, the greater chance that offers might be made to higher-Helix people, while little chance that offers would be made to people who never fly AA paid (only fly it on awards booked with miles earned through partners).

All I'm trying to say is that it increases the unknowns in the future of this mailers issue. (I was replying to someone who seemed to be saying that everyone who is currently locked will eventually be shut down, and I was just trying to point out that it could be much more nuanced than that.)
There is not one reported instance of someone who has been locked and then reinstated. Those who were terminated have not been offered any form of a settlement or discussion of any kind.

That does not bode well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.