Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

deleted

Last edited by JonNYC; Dec 18, 2019 at 2:02 pm
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Several new account shutdowns as of this morning. Appears to be credit card sign-up bonus abuse.
Hmmm...any relation to the audit/shutdown fiasco from this past weekend?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Several new account shutdowns as of this morning. Appears to be credit card sign-up bonus abuse.
Were a bunch of recent messages here deleted? Why?
I remember a discussion about someone who said he lost something over 1 million miles from his and his wife's accounts
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
I remember a discussion about someone who said he lost something over 1 million miles from his and his wife's accounts
That was a different thread, nothing was deleted here. And, you’d address that question to the moderators via PM regardless.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:04 am

This strange thread? AAdvantage Account Shut Down - Recourse/Appeal?

I do wonder what constitutes sign-up bonus abuse. If AA is going after people who get as many sign-up bonuses as possible, there are going to be a lot of unhappy FT-ers.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

deleted

Last edited by JonNYC; Dec 18, 2019 at 2:03 pm
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
They aren’t.

Twitter will answer the rest of the mystery
So is it a problem getting multiple sign up bonuses if it has nothing to do with having multiple accounts, even if I have multiple accounts just because they converted over from US Airways and I had issues combining them? Apparently my account was flagged/locked a week ago, but still haven't received any email from AA and I'm not sure what to do except wait.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: CK or bust
The OP in the thread that you referenced chose to self-delete so they weren't actually removed by the moderators from when I last saw that thread however pre-deletion they pretty much confirmed in their posts that they were up to something that wasn't on the up and up (and that they knew it).

I'm still surprised that they were able to bonus-churn using their SSNs without running afoul of Citi and Barclays initial application review process so this must have really been some sort of nefarious setup to be able to re-apply and succeed with those bonuses that often.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by enpremiere
The OP in the thread that you referenced chose to self-delete so they weren't actually removed by the moderators from when I last saw that thread however pre-deletion they pretty much confirmed in their posts that they were up to something that wasn't on the up and up (and that they knew it).

I'm still surprised that they were able to bonus-churn using their SSNs without running afoul of Citi and Barclays initial application review process so this must have really been some sort of nefarious setup to be able to re-apply and succeed with those bonuses that often.
I am amazed it was all resolved over the holiday weekend.............(Yeah, right)
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:50 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
I am amazed it was all resolved over the holiday weekend.............(Yeah, right)
Wait, you don't think that an account closure that happened late Friday or early Saturday during a holiday weekend was fully reversed by the end of Saturday?

(In my short time on this forum, I must say that the thread was the most interesting and amusing thread I've come across so far, and the poster's attempts to delete his tracks clearly backfired since others had already quoted his self-incriminating posts).

Last edited by WindowSeatFlyer; Dec 2, 2019 at 11:08 am
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
Wait, you don't think that an account closure that happened late Friday or early Saturday during a holiday weekend was fully reversed by the end of Saturday? .
Not to mention that that member’s account(s) had been terminated as opposed to just locked.

Originally Posted by yoshapman
So is it a problem getting multiple sign up bonuses if it has nothing to do with having multiple accounts, even if I have multiple accounts just because they converted over from US Airways and I had issues combining them? Apparently my account was flagged/locked a week ago, but still haven't received any email from AA and I'm not sure what to do except wait.
well, if you’re saying that you didn’t trigger/earn sign-up
bonuses on those other accounts, then I’d say the infraction lies elsewhere.

As far as how long you’ll wait for the email, I’d imagine could be a while, last week holiday and there seem to be a sizable group of these exact kind of lockings right now— related to credit card earned miles.

And, no, there is no expediting it.

When you get the email, I personally would suggest dropping the “merging accounts was difficult” angle and be completely truthful lest you end up like the other guy.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
This thread is rapidly approaching 1,000 messages. May I ask you to indulge me and explain what this means? I have two offers from Citi. One is for a checking account and the other for a credit card. As a long established AAdvantage member, why shouldn't I take up these offers? What "abuse" would there be if I accept what was sent to me unsolicited?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:39 am

Not to mention that that member’s account(s) had been terminated as opposed to just locked.

well, if you’re saying that you didn’t trigger/earn sign-up
bonuses on those other accounts, then I’d say the infraction lies elsewhere.

As far as how long you’ll wait for the email, I’d imagine could be a while, last week holiday and there seem to be a sizable group of these exact kind of lockings right now— related to credit card earned miles.

And, no, there is no expediting it.

When you get the email, I personally would suggest dropping the “merging accounts was difficult” angle and be completely truthful lest you end up like the other guy.
I was just asking if me having multiple AA accounts made any difference here, as all I did was sign up for Citibank credit cards which they approved me for, and for the FF# I used one of the 3 since it didn't matter to me. AA created the 2 additional accounts for me automatically when they merged from US Airways (they were linked to my old Barclay cards), but having those accounts didn't bypass anything. Basically, it didn't matter if I had 3 accounts or 1. The sign up bonuses did hit all 3, but it would be exactly the same as if they all hit the same 1 account.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
This thread is rapidly approaching 1,000 messages. May I ask you to indulge me and explain what this means? I have two offers from Citi. One is for a checking account and the other for a credit card. As a long established AAdvantage member, why shouldn't I take up these offers? What "abuse" would there be if I accept what was sent to me unsolicited?
I believe what JonNYC is referring to is having multiple accounts designed specifically to circumvent sign up bonus offers. The issue would be if you opened 4 AAdvantage accounts and then opened a checking account and a credit card on each.

There would be no issue accepting offers that are either targeted or publicly available on your account.

Also, having read every post on this thread and others by people in the know, normal behavior does not get one pulled up by corporate security. Stuff like putting a fare on hold after a previous hold expired (I do this when I'm still debating a trip) or having multiple cards on your account that give miles do not result in any issues.

Last edited by Antarius; Dec 2, 2019 at 12:30 pm
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
I believe what JonNYC is referring to is having multiple accounts designed specifically to circumvent sign up bonus offers. The issue would be if you opened 4 AAdvantage accounts and then opened a checking account and a credit card on each.

There would be no issue accepting offers that are either targeted or publicly available on your account.
But AA lets you have as many credit cards as Citi or Barclay will give you, all on the same FF# account. I'm confused what the point or difference would be if you opened up new FF# accounts? If Citi lets you have 5 cards at the same time on one FF#, it will go through and have no issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.