Old Dec 18, 19, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Old Jan 8, 20, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 100K; BA Gold
Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
I am in the same group. I tried to book an award ticket in mid December and the ticket never moved from On Request to Ticketed. Upon hearing the news I did not call. However, I was able to take an international award trip a few days ago. I also had a schedule change for an upcoming trip and my wife called the regular AA line and was able to change the ticket. The agent initially had trouble updating the record and asked my wife, if anyone was currently actively updating seats or similar items. My wife assured her that no one was doing this and the agent mentioned it may be a 'security' problem. She told my wife to hold and a few seconds later said that the change went through. Indeed, the requested change went from Ticket Pending to Ticketed within a few minutes. I am not 100% sure what actually transpired as I wasn't on the call. The certain items are 1. My account is locked, 2. I was able to travel on a recent international award flight, 3. We were able to rebook a future award flight due to a schedule change. I have created fake AA accounts and taken advantage of the Citi mailers and email offers. We never brokered any miles and almost 100% of all flights were taken by immediate family.
Your should add your DP to the data point only thread also.
AA account restricted - Data Points only
LWT3 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 20, 8:03 pm

2. I was able to travel on a recent international award flight,
For reference, was this intl flight all on AA or were partner airlines involved?

Trying to piece together inconsistencies in which flights are being cancelled for which customers, and it seems like a crap shoot at times.
Old Jan 8, 20, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom View Post
For reference, was this intl flight all on AA or were partner airlines involved?
The flight was for 3 people Europe to the US via hubs. The initial leg was on BA.
Old Jan 9, 20, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
I was digging around Westlaw last night and found this gem!!! Petersen et al. v. US Airways et al.

For those who don't remember (this was before my time), FreeCause (now Rakuten) screwed up a promotion for US Airways (now AA) and Hawaiian (still HA) regarding data storage offered by EasyCGI back in 2011. The purchases were (largely) cancelled and the promotion (largely) dishonored. The following year, Randy (the founder of FT) and friends decided to sue all three parties (airline, portal, merchant) in Massachusetts court and based on the docket, they prevailed/settled the day before trial (as these things often do). After 4 long years of litigation! No costs were awarded by the court but I hope they got their attorney fees out of the settlement! I presume an NDA was in play. Does anyone have any insider info?

Much like today, public opinion was split, with many saying stick it to 'em and others saying easy come, easy go. I think this case exemplifies strength in numbers. Even if a class action doesn't get off the ground, you and some friends can raise heck. But be forewarned, if the defendant digs in its heels, you will be facing a long and expensive battle. And the current situation has the added specter of counterclaims for previously flown tickets. Who here is brave enough to stand up to Goliath?
Old Jan 9, 20, 2:01 pm

Here’s the one I always remember:
https://gizmodo.com/how-an-engineer-...ing-1339646546

This particular article doesn’t cover it, but I seem to remember some pushback from the airline, saying the guy was taking advantage of an offer by gaming the system. Sound familiar?
Old Jan 9, 20, 5:36 pm

I am in the same group. I tried to book an award ticket in mid December and the ticket never moved from On Request to Ticketed. Upon hearing the news I did not call. However, I was able to take an international award trip a few days ago. I also had a schedule change for an upcoming trip and my wife called the regular AA line and was able to change the ticket. The agent initially had trouble updating the record and asked my wife, if anyone was currently actively updating seats or similar items. My wife assured her that no one was doing this and the agent mentioned it may be a 'security' problem. She told my wife to hold and a few seconds later said that the change went through. Indeed, the requested change went from Ticket Pending to Ticketed within a few minutes. I am not 100% sure what actually transpired as I wasn't on the call. The certain items are 1. My account is locked, 2. I was able to travel on a recent international award flight, 3. We were able to rebook a future award flight due to a schedule change. I have created fake AA accounts and taken advantage of the Citi mailers and email offers. We never brokered any miles and almost 100% of all flights were taken by immediate family.
I think I know what you mean, but just to be clear, when you say you "had a schedule change," was it a personal schedule change that you were then able to change the award flight on your locked account to accommodate, or was there a schedule change of the particular flight by the airlines?
Old Jan 10, 20, 11:05 am

update on previously reported strange data point of 23 year old.

CSR contacted between 9 and 5 on weekdays.
Was told that "account is "marked". You wil receive an email from security department"

Question to others: is it true that when one account in the family (same address+ same last name) is "restricted" - all other family accounts are also restricted?

Last edited by desi; Jan 11, 20 at 6:15 pm
Old Jan 10, 20, 12:43 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
When I call into my AA account, the call tries to transfer directly to an agent so I hang up. From what I've read here, that means my account is being looked at, at a minimum, during all this mess. My question is, I have money in the Bank Direct accounts that earn me miles every month...is there any reason to do that for now? If I end up getting shut down, there's no reason to leave the money there earning miles that will end up being forfeit.
Old Jan 10, 20, 1:05 pm

I have an award ticket for tomorrow on my account which I found out was locked about 12/12. I am able to check in and get my boarding pass so I presume I am good to go. I can't make the trip due to personal reasons but I wanted to post the DP as it appears in my case locked does not = award cancelled. Most concerned about an international partner award in business in a few months. I checked with the partner and they send me my ticket number and their record locator which are all good, thus far.
flyer4512 and Robl like this.
Old Jan 10, 20, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by flightmedic View Post
I have an award ticket for tomorrow on my account which I found out was locked about 12/12. I am able to check in and get my boarding pass so I presume I am good to go. I can't make the trip due to personal reasons but I wanted to post the DP as it appears in my case locked does not = award cancelled. Most concerned about an international partner award in business in a few months. I checked with the partner and they send me my ticket number and their record locator which are all good, thus far.

I'm guessing this is not on AA metal ?
Old Jan 10, 20, 1:25 pm

No longer relevant.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 20 at 8:33 pm
Old Jan 10, 20, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by fredc84 View Post
When I call into my AA account, the call tries to transfer directly to an agent so I hang up. From what I've read here, that means my account is being looked at, at a minimum, during all this mess. My question is, I have money in the Bank Direct accounts that earn me miles every month...is there any reason to do that for now? If I end up getting shut down, there's no reason to leave the money there earning miles that will end up being forfeit.
Nope, and this is a big part of the problem with how AA is handling the situation. People are making decisions, now for almost a month, on accounts that are effectively dead but that AA has not said anything about.
Old Jan 10, 20, 1:35 pm

Programs: spg gold
Are they going to refund taxes on your award tickets that they won't let you use?
Old Jan 10, 20, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by jkoenig51 View Post
Are they going ti refund taxes on your award tickets that they won't let you use?
Yes, although many people have had to request this and the web request function does not work every time.
Old Jan 10, 20, 1:41 pm

Programs: spg gold
If you are already locked then you know what the outcome will be. Is there any value in canceling your award tickets already booked and request a refund? Then you can move on.

Search this Thread