Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:59 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
Yes. That's generally the idea. You don't even actually need to call, you could use the website or mobile app to cancel and request a refund. Some fares may even have generous no-show restrictions, in which you don't even need to cancel the flight in advance. Just don't show up, and the ticket retains its value for up to 1 year from issuance. Many other FT threads can help you decipher fare rules too if you post them.

Originally Posted by cheaptom
If AA boards me, then I’ll call delta and ask for a refund of the 4 pm flight.
that easy ?
thanks
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by progapanda
Yes. That's generally the idea. You don't even actually need to call, you could use the website or mobile app to cancel and request a refund. Some fares may even have generous no-show restrictions, in which you don't even need to cancel the flight in advance. Just don't show up, and the ticket retains its value for up to 1 year from issuance. Many other FT threads can help you decipher fare rules too if you post them.
Thank you. I’ll explore fare threads on other airline forums.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:26 pm

My AA trip is at noon. If I’m not allowed to board, I want to have a backup flight scheduled at 4pm on Delta. If AA bans me, I’ll jump on the delta flight at 4. If AA boards me, then I’ll call delta and ask for a refund of the 4 pm flight.
that easy ?
thanks

When is your AA flight ? Thanks
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
When is your AA flight ? Thanks
April. A paid revenue fare on AA. LAX-YVR

I had an AA awards trip last month go smoothly while locked, so we’ll see how this one goes
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:46 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by jiaogulan
No, there are definitely people with detailed fantasies of churners getting stuck in Kathmandu trying to board and being given the finger by a Cathay Pacific head purser.
I was just there on Saturday night on that terrible overnight flight to HKG in a biz regional seat... I have to say if you used your Churned miles to get an award on that crummy plane then you really aren’t smart ;-)
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:54 pm

April. A paid revenue fare on AA. LAX-YVR

I had an AA awards trip last month go smoothly while locked, so we’ll see how this one goes

I doubt you have any issues flying a flight that you paid cash for
jerry a. laska and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:43 pm

How is this thread different from this one?

(Asking for a friend? )
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Global321

(Asking for a friend? )
That one is where the AA fanboys and girls reside and is better suited to the AA forum, IMO.
84fiero likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti
RE: Class action law suits

They're a boon only for lawyers. In my entire life, of course one should opt in, I've gotten a total of maybe $200 from class action lawsuits?
Really? I've gotten more than that from a single settlement (when several tech companies were sued for agreeing not to poach employees from each other) and I was only an employee of one of those companies for an extremely short amount of the time period cited in the case (this was ~10 years ago)

I agree with you though; I'd rather opt out of the class and take my chances in SC court.

edit: I just realized I was responding to a relatively old post. The point stands though.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 6:39 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Visconti
I think it's more "you guys deserved it" sort of mentality, and I understand where they're coming from. I just don't think anyone cares enough about us (me) to garner enough anger to the point where anyone would feel "glee" over our (my) misfortunes. I just expect a sort of cold indifference along with the "you reap what you sow sentiment," and that's ok.
There are a few posters on this thread who I've noticed over the years, like to express glee - or at least sanctimony - at all sorts of misfortunes and mistakes that others post about on FT. They show up in many different forums/threads so I can't help but conclude they have some sort of weird addiction to it.

Originally Posted by mhdena
That one is where the AA fanboys and girls reside and is better suited to the AA forum, IMO.
Indeed. They won't be laughing though if one day AA decides to terminate accounts and cancel flights because AA decides (retroactively) there are other reasons that it doesn't like where some of their miles came from. It doesn't take a lot of creativity to think of other practices, both related and unrelated to credit cards, that could be construed as "exploitation" or whatever. Nor is it out of the question for data errors to cause the same result on occasion.
Happy, MaxVO and Richard Berg like this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:04 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator explanantion

Originally Posted by Global321
It's in the AA forum, and this one is in the Citi forum. The regular posters in each forum bring a different frame of reference to this event.
renila, Happy and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
There are a few posters on this thread who I've noticed over the years, like to express glee - or at least sanctimony - at all sorts of misfortunes and mistakes that others post about on FT. They show up in many different forums/threads so I can't help but conclude they have some sort of weird addiction to it.
Someone actually got a response from them and the exact line used was that the adverse actions were taken against people who were operating "against the spirit of the AAdvantage program."

I leave it to everyone's imagination exactly how large that loophole might be.
Richard Berg likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:46 am
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by mia
Mass market companies are not interested in individual customers. They know perfectly well that every algorithm they use will have some unintended consequences, and it truly is not important.

Holding a grudge against a mass market company is foolish. Unsurprising reaction at age 23, but those of us who are older should know better.
What?? I had issues with Comcast 20 years ago and cancelled and have never thought about going back to them as a customer. Telling people to not hold a grudge against a company that has harmed the person is what is foolish.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by catsfroggy1
What?? I had issues with Comcast 20 years ago and cancelled and have never thought about going back to them as a customer. Telling people to not hold a grudge against a company that has harmed the person is what is foolish.
You have the luxury of alternatives, which includes a pair of the good old-fashioned rabbit ears.

The same is not true for the vast majority of US travelers. While carrier hubs are pretty much always served by other carriers, time, money & convenience limit choices. Those with corporate discounts may also not have many options. Bottom line for AA -- no different for other carriers -- is that most of its HVC's are not individual travelers, but their employers.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:00 am
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by Often1
You have the luxury of alternatives, which includes a pair of the good old-fashioned rabbit ears.

The same is not true for the vast majority of US travelers. While carrier hubs are pretty much always served by other carriers, time, money & convenience limit choices. Those with corporate discounts may also not have many options. Bottom line for AA -- no different for other carriers -- is that most of its HVC's are not individual travelers, but their employers.
I know plenty of business travelers who decided to stop in Atlanta all the time because they fly exclusively Delta instead of taking direct flights. I have flown plenty of time on corporate dime and they always let you choose your flight. I have paid for plenty of flights to Europe on AA in the past out of my own pocket. I can just as easily fly with airlines from those countries. Fly Air France to France. KLM to Amsterdam, Aer Lingus to Ireland. Iceland Air to Icleand. etc. I won't miss the 30 year old airplane flying to AMS on AA with no backseat entertainment or the 30 year old airplane to Scotland that still has the ashtrays built into the arm rests.

Or miss how AA just cancels flight two hours before take-off as they don't have enough passengers and figures out that most of their passengers are two stupid to claim the EU flight delay cash.
Happy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.