Old Dec 18, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Old Dec 1, 2019, 5:35 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 32
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Interesting. Most partner awards were not available through aa.com until very recently, and some are not available (or have been temporarily withdrawn) even today. AA has always been behind the times, and far behind UA for example.

Some of us need to not just call AA's US toll-free number, but call AA in Fiji or Trinidad, to book awards.
True. Most of my awards have been on AA metal, Alaska, BA or Hawaiian (inter-island). Tried (unsuccessfully) to book a recent trip to French Polynesia using miles on Air Tahiti Nui (which only recently became bookable via website). Ended up finding award availability on Alaska SEA-HNL & then HNL-PPT on Hawaiian.
pf815 is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2019, 6:44 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,055
Originally Posted by xyzxyzxyz
We haven't bought a ticket from AA in eleventy-seven years. Yet we have eleventy-seven miles in each of our accounts, and fly TATL FC every summer on Anytime awards. To accomplish that solely thru credit card spend, we'd have to have a spending history of Kim Kardashian or Marc Cuban, and a CSR could quickly see that we don't. So I have no idea of what to say if they were to ask me that.
Ummm, tell the truth? If it is a fraud prevention question and you give them the wrong answer then they could reasonably assume you are not who you say you are. They can probably tell where you get most of your miles, why would they care? They make more money from Frequent Flier miles than flight operations, so getting lots of miles from credit cards makes them more money and makes you a better customer. Citi doesn't pay different rates for miles from AA based on whether they are signup bonus miles or regular spend miles. And why would AA know about your financial resources, do you let them run credit reports on you?

This reminds me of when they stopped counting all miles toward Million-Miler and the BIS purists never stopped blathering about how much more valuable they were to AA by flying all the time when in fact they were less valuable.
IkeEsq is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:28 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 614
Originally Posted by flyer1990
Yes, it works -- mortgage payments (plus the fee) code as a purchase, not cash advance. I always lower my cash advance line to the minimum anyway .....
Same. Been doing this method for almost 2 years now .

Originally Posted by muji
I agree with you on this.

One note, however, is that that poster said it was the fraud department of AA itself, not Citi, that was questioning him, and it was AA who reportedly took away all his miles for some sort of breach of the terms.
I think this is key, here. He (shutdown poster) was evasive with facts and deleted folks which both point to shenanigans that he did. If he was completely innocent and did nothing outside of churn cards, he would have said so. JMO
gumercindo is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2019, 11:32 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 812
......

Last edited by shimps1; Dec 3, 2019 at 8:05 pm Reason: deleted
shimps1 is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2019, 12:02 pm
  #20  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,616
Originally Posted by shimps1
I am being completely transparent with my account activity...My "account reinstated" post was a deflection.
As everyone could tell, it was false. Further, your story changed: it was resolved, then it was not fully resolved.

That does not help your credibility going forward. Anyone who contacts you via PM should be aware of this.
WindowSeatFlyer likes this.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Dec 2, 2019 at 12:09 pm
SeeBuyFly is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2019, 12:30 pm
  #21  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 29,715
Originally Posted by IkeEsq
Ummm, tell the truth? If it is a fraud prevention question and you give them the wrong answer then they could reasonably assume you are not who you say you are. They can probably tell where you get most of your miles, why would they care? They make more money from Frequent Flier miles than flight operations, so getting lots of miles from credit cards makes them more money and makes you a better customer. Citi doesn't pay different rates for miles from AA based on whether they are signup bonus miles or regular spend miles. And why would AA know about your financial resources, do you let them run credit reports on you?

This reminds me of when they stopped counting all miles toward Million-Miler and the BIS purists never stopped blathering about how much more valuable they were to AA by flying all the time when in fact they were less valuable.
IIRC in 2017 and may even be in 2018 also, the AAdvantage program was the ONLY business sector AA made money.

Not to mention AA has finally put in $ spent requirement to qualify for elite status... Gone are those cheap BIS flyers who berated the card spenders the most...

However - everyone should read this from AA forum

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31795958-post910.html

The poster has put more info on his twitter.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31796052-post915.html

Last edited by Happy; Dec 2, 2019 at 12:39 pm
Happy is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2019, 12:41 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,164
There is no big deal about the question " how did you earn your miles?" i was asked the same question on 2 separate phone calls in the past 6 years and i answered from "credit card sign up bonuses", AA CSR wanted to make sure I was the person who is trying to book an award ticket using hundreds of thousand of miles. No further actions were taken since my answer matched my account activity history.
ninim2200 is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:09 pm
  #23  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,616
Latest word from the oracle:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31796932-post930.html
SeeBuyFly is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2019, 3:51 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 812
......

Last edited by shimps1; Dec 3, 2019 at 8:05 pm Reason: deleted
shimps1 is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:29 pm
  #25  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,616
Originally Posted by shimps1
The 48 month rule is a Citi one, not an AA one, so for AA to shut an account down for that is unheard of.
Yes, the potential AA (not Citi) issue would be the opening of multiple AAdvantage accounts (what you described as "the other accounts in our house"). But we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Dec 2, 2019 at 4:38 pm
SeeBuyFly is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2019, 5:15 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 812
.....

Last edited by shimps1; Dec 3, 2019 at 8:04 pm Reason: deleted
shimps1 is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2019, 5:59 pm
  #27  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: FIND ME ON TWITTER FOR THE LATEST
Posts: 27,730
Originally Posted by shimps1
JonNYC mentions on twitter that is not against AA T&C. He says, "earning benefits from multiple accounts is against T&C." Those accounts never earned any benefits. They were targeted for a credit card offer that was transferrable.
Thats not an appropriate use of quotation marks, heres what I actually said:


While the is no rule against multiple AAdv accounts, clearly opening them in fictitious names, etc. is a huge problem.

I tend to think other people in this thread will be finding that out
WindowSeatFlyer likes this.
JonNYC is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:54 pm
  #28  
formerly known as daveland
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NY, NY, USA
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, United Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
Posts: 2,965
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Thats not an appropriate use of quotation marks, heres what I actually said:
https://twitter.com/xjonnyc/status/1...201480709?s=21


While the is no rule against multiple AAdv accounts, clearly opening them in fictitious names, etc. is a huge problem.

I tend to think other people in this thread will be finding that out
Now you've got me all sorts of curious what level of this all we are talking about to be a "huge" problem. Any insight into how many of these some people have opened? I sense that many here have opened one, maybe two thanks to it being fairly common advice to do so in various circles.

Last edited by MilesTalk; Dec 2, 2019 at 9:15 pm
MilesTalk is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:09 pm
  #29  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: FIND ME ON TWITTER FOR THE LATEST
Posts: 27,730
Originally Posted by MilesTalk
..I sense that many here have opened one, maybe two thanks to it being fairly common advice to do so in various circles.
.
How that ever took hold as being advisable is beyond me, these people who did this are insane to think this was tenable.

Last edited by JonNYC; Dec 2, 2019 at 9:23 pm
JonNYC is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:16 pm
  #30  
formerly known as daveland
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NY, NY, USA
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, United Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
Posts: 2,965
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1999652-aa-account-closures-nov

.....

Last edited by MilesTalk; Dec 2, 2019 at 9:20 pm Reason: deleted
MilesTalk is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.