Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Accepting applications as of 1.31.2019 50,000 points for $4,000 spend in 90 days:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-prestige-card#ddl-pricinfo

Bonus ThankYou Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi Rewards+℠, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi ThankYou® Premier/Citi Premier℠ or Citi Prestige®, or if you have closed any of these cards, in the past 24 months.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jesperss
Anyone renewed yet under the new fee AND have an old Citigold Checking account (that is no longer a Gold account)?

I kept $1500 in it the last few years and was always renewed at $350/year. Was wondering if they've closed the loophole.
I loopholed for two years but my AF posted a couple days ago and it is $495.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by lkar
I loopholed for two years but my AF posted a couple days ago and it is $495.
I thought the airline credit was PER YEAR? One agent said there were rumors they’d reinstate benefits. Another agent said don’t listen to that agent because nothing is official. I was given the offer of a pro rated refund of $412 and I have until the 30th to decide. Can’t decide what I want to do as it’s the only “premier card” I have left but there’s no benefits really on it?
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
Loophole is closed
This update may be the one that finally pushes me to moving more money away from Citi.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
What makes the jump to $495 even worse is that there is still the additional authorized user fee of $75 on top of that, so I will be spending $570 per year. It takes a lot of dining out to make this cost effective, as my airline spend will move back to American Express Platinum, where there is some, but not great, insurance, which will be further expanded.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
So for those who've previously had a $350 annual fee from a downgraded CG account that had an annual fee after 9/1/19, you're now being charged $495? Are you planning on keeping the Prestige, and if not, what's your exit strategy for Thank You Points?
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by gizayabasu
So for those who've previously had a $350 annual fee from a downgraded CG account that had an annual fee after 9/1/19, you're now being charged $495? Are you planning on keeping the Prestige, and if not, what's your exit strategy for Thank You Points?
I'm in that exact situation and the $495 AF just hit this month. I had always kept the card with $350 AF and retention offers. I have the Double Cash, Premier, and ATT Access currently, but its been over 24 months since I've received any TYP sign up bonuses so I just applied for another Premier on the 60K TYP offer. I wanted to get that taken care of before possibly cancelling/downgrading the Prestige and resetting the 24 month clock. Once the bonus on the new Premier posts, I'm going to call in for the Prestige and probably downgrade to the Reward+ to keep the points alive. The only way I see myself keeping it is if they give me a decent retention offer. I do put about $16k of dining yearly on the Prestige yearly so its nice to have the 5X TYP. I also have the AMEX Gold at 4X MR for dining so keeping the Prestige gets me an extra 16K points yearly. I guess it will come down to whether the $495 will be worth the $250 air credit + 16K TYP + any possible retention.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
Originally Posted by crapz1
I'm in that exact situation and the $495 AF just hit this month. I had always kept the card with $350 AF and retention offers. I have the Double Cash, Premier, and ATT Access currently, but its been over 24 months since I've received any TYP sign up bonuses so I just applied for another Premier on the 60K TYP offer. I wanted to get that taken care of before possibly cancelling/downgrading the Prestige and resetting the 24 month clock. Once the bonus on the new Premier posts, I'm going to call in for the Prestige and probably downgrade to the Reward+ to keep the points alive. The only way I see myself keeping it is if they give me a decent retention offer. I do put about $16k of dining yearly on the Prestige yearly so its nice to have the 5X TYP. I also have the AMEX Gold at 4X MR for dining so keeping the Prestige gets me an extra 16K points yearly. I guess it will come down to whether the $495 will be worth the $250 air credit + 16K TYP + any possible retention.
This is my challenge with the card, are the marginal TYPs from 5x on diving vs. 4x on AMEX gold and/or 3x on CSR really worth it? Sure its more points, but at the margin each of those points becomes more expense than just having the AMEX and/or CSR AF. It may net out on paper, just barely for me, but not sure if the practical side of accumulating in multiple programs (TYP, MR, UR) is effective.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:15 pm

I imagine most people spend way more on travel vs dining. So the 5x on dining is less enticing, but 5x on airfare is significant. I am hoping Chase can offer 5x on airfare as well.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by openwheelracing
I imagine most people spend way more on travel vs dining. So the 5x on dining is less enticing, but 5x on airfare is significant. I am hoping Chase can offer 5x on airfare as well.
People can pull up the TYP site and see what their earnings categories were for a year if they adjust the date settings.

I think its going to be dependent on what people do. Some people who are ordering food for company events, or entertaining clients, can rack up big expenditures on that.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:48 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Some people spend miles for many/most of their flights and focus on credit card rewards for other categories.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by crapz1
Once the bonus on the new Premier posts, I'm going to call in for the Prestige and probably downgrade to the Reward+ to keep the points alive.
I've seen a few datapoint on reddit that people who downgraded their Prestige saw their points expire anyway. If others here have experienced differently, I'd love to hear.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Hi All,

Question, I know that Citi covers at 5X travel agencies. Does that mean the 5X would apply to AA Vacations? Would seem to but doing a search here and in the AA Forum, I could not get a definitive answer. Thoughts appreciated!
TIA and Safe Travels
I think "Travel Agency" is pretty broad. I haven't tried AA Vacations, but have had recent transactions on Priceline and Hotels.com post as 5x TYP.
GTITAN and akr1970akr like this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by nall
I've seen a few datapoint on reddit that people who downgraded their Prestige saw their points expire anyway. If others here have experienced differently, I'd love to hear.
Please see this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...derations.html
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
Downgrade to Reward + should keep the points alive.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:19 pm
foo

Programs: MR, TY, UR
Have you tested or been able to confirm that the Prestige 4th Night Free through the TY portal still stacks with the Premier 1.25 cents per point when booking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.