Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Accepting applications as of 1.31.2019 50,000 points for $4,000 spend in 90 days:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-prestige-card#ddl-pricinfo

Bonus ThankYou Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi Rewards+℠, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi ThankYou® Premier/Citi Premier℠ or Citi Prestige®, or if you have closed any of these cards, in the past 24 months.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.

https://onemileatatime.com/citi-explore-credit-card/

The Citi Explore Card. It seems like a direct competitor based on the rumored benefits ($300 airfare credit, 3x on traveling/dining, and 50% bonus when redeemed through Citi's portal).
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
sounds like a 'me too' product, although I suppose I'll eventually end up with one.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If I were constructing a survey to tests several new cards or features I might include a me too imitation of a direct competitor's product, even if that is not an option I am seriously considering. It's a way to measure their feature set against others, without mentioning Chase by name.
flyershmlyer likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Originally Posted by mia
If I were constructing a survey to tests several new cards or features I might include a me too imitation of a direct competitor's product, even if that is not an option I am seriously considering. It's a way to measure their feature set against others, without mentioning Chase by name.
It is kind of odd how specific they'll be about a competitor without naming it. I recall seeing (secondhand) one Citi survey where a supposedly hypothetical competing product had Centurion lounge access.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by mia
That's a very fair observation.

mia: If you were developing a sustainable replacement for the Prestige, meant to compete against CSR & Platinum, what would you include?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
...If you were developing a sustainable replacement for the Prestige, meant to compete against CSR & Platinum, what would you include?
I think the $300 airfare credit makes sense, especially if it can be used towards both tickets and incidental fees, or even Admirals or Delta lounge access.

Perhaps 5x on flights and prepaid hotels booked through Citi's travel center would've been a better fit, along with a dining and grocery multiplier. The Reserve shouldn't be the only exotic card Citi should be competing against.... The AMEX Platinum should also be looked at by Citi, as well as U.S Bank's card.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:56 pm

You know what would be great? A card with admirals club access, a 1.6 rate on AA redemptions, and 3 hour delay insurance. Id sign up for that in a heartbeat.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
You know what would be great? A card with admirals club access, a 1.6 rate on AA redemptions, and 3 hour delay insurance. Id sign up for that in a heartbeat.
Not going to happen, so there's no sense of complaining about it anymore.

Get a Citi Executive card if you want those benefits, the Plat for 2x on gas and dining, and the Green for 2x on supermarket purchases for $550 a year... I'm sure you can get more than 1.6 cpp on American redemption anyways.

Last edited by mikesyr18; Sep 24, 2018 at 4:47 pm
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Even I have no insider information this time, here is my 2 cents.

1. This is straightly a rumor, nothing more, nothing less. If Citi indeed intends to introduce this purported Citi Explore Card, Citi is basically stupid and incompetent as a bank. The benefits mentioned so far are very similar to the Citi Prestige. A new product like this will cost Citi a fortune, but it won't if Citi just simply "renew" the product. What's the point?

2. Surveys are not used to test water. Instead - they work as intended - to see how people think. So using CSR benefits to solicit opinions is the exact way to do.

3. This rumor actually further confirms that the Citi Prestige is dead. Enjoy while it lasts.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Even I have no insider information this time, here is my 2 cents.
... Citi is basically stupid and incompetent as a bank.
It's already been established that Citi is a stupid, incompetent bank.

The benefits mentioned so far are very similar to the Citi Prestige. A new product like this will cost Citi a fortune, but it won't if Citi just simply "renew" the product...
Yeah, except without lost ticket protection and 4th night free. Don't get on the bandwagon with clueless people who thought the 4th night free didn't cost Citi anything.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:53 pm

I'm curious how many people have shopped around using the 4th night free benefit. Every time I've looked at hotels through citi's portal, they've been quite a bit more expensive than booking through the hotel directly, to the point that 4th night free benefit didn't save much $, at least when it came to mainstream hotels. High end resorts may be different. That's been the Prestige benefit I've (disappointingly) gotten the least use out of that I expected or wanted to.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 5:55 pm

I always compare between the hotel's site, TYP Portal, and 3rd party booking agencies. Yes, you're right that sometimes it costs more through the TYP portal. Availability is also cramped compared to other booking engines.

But if the hotel's own site, or special rate code/promo, is cheaper -- you can call the concierge and have them book the rate you want direct with the hotel. Just feed them all the details ahead of time.

That is a pretty good benefit since you can also usually append your loyalty number if its a hotel that has a program.

The drawback to booking through the concierge is that you have to wait for the statement credit, which could be an issue if you were cancelling the card in between travel time and credit posting time.

An additional consideration to using the concierge is that you can't use TYP when booking through that channel. This is more applicable to the small subset of holders who combine Premier TYP uplift on hotel bookings with the Prestige 4NF. I have an upcoming booking I've been watching for every day hoping that they will release something to Expedia/TYP inventory....but we're starting to reach the danger zone (for pricing hikes/availability) so I might have to cave in a couple days and just use the concierge manual booking process.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:50 pm

Rumor: Changes coming in Jan 2019 - 5x on Air/Dining; 4th night free perk will stay.

I definitely will keep the card. For me, I have lots of non-US currency spending on dining and this one definitely wins over the AMEX new Gold.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by tonywush
Rumor: Changes coming in Jan 2019 - 5x on Air/Dining; 4th night free perk will stay.

I definitely will keep the card. For me, I have lots of non-US currency spending on dining and this one definitely wins over the AMEX new Gold.
5X air/dining, assuming 1X entertainment and all other travel (hotels/cars/OTAs)?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by moe8555
5X air/dining, assuming 1X entertainment and all other travel (hotels/cars/OTAs)?
Here is the most current info. HT to uscreditcardguide.

5x Food/Air Ticket; 3x Travel; 2x Entertainment; 4th night free and $250 travel reimbursement remain. Effective date: 2019.1.4

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.