Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:25 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
Welp.
Think about how it feels to be running Citi's credit card business. Citi has pursued a different model than most issuers. Partnered with one airline, and one hotel chain. This loyalty has not been reciprocated. AA allowed Barclays to continue to issued AAdvantage cards, and now Hilton is leaving. (Don't know yet if Honors will continue as a ThankYou Rewards transfer partner.)

Citi may conclude that the exclusive partnership model is sound, and they need to improve their execution. But, my instinct is that Citi will dump the model and quote aggressively as other airline and hotel contracts come up for bid over the next few years.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Think about how it feels to be running Citi's credit card business. Citi has pursued a different model than most issuers. Partnered with one airline, and one hotel chain. This loyalty has not been reciprocated. AA allowed Barclays to continue to issued AAdvantage cards, and now Hilton is leaving. (Don't know yet if Honors will continue as a ThankYou Rewards transfer partner.)

Citi may conclude that the exclusive partnership model is sound, and they need to improve their execution. But, my instinct is that Citi will dump the model and quote aggressively as other airline and hotel contracts come up for bid over the next few years.
No such thing as loyalty "biz is biz" cust as consumers look for best deal

AMX'S back was to the wall -- if lost Hilton then if Strawood goes Chase and this is after COSCO and JET BLUE -not much left

only good from this is --I assume AMX will issue a Hilton biz card
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Plat Ambassador, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Last update on this:

SO's denial was systemic. No one can override it (so 4 reps say). They are seeing 6 Inq in the past YEAR (NOT 6 mo). I only have a record of 4 in the last year. Surprised they were counting a year instead of 6 mo. Only 2 inq in the past 6 months (confirmed by the rep).

Probably a YMMV kinda this and not a real DP, I suppose. Still stumped though.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
Just opened a new card for my wife a few days ago. Sent SMs to cancel a few older cards and accidentally canceled the new card I'll have to cash in a lot of wife points to get her to call tonight after work and reinstate the card and hopefully it won't affect her 50k point bonus.
Called Citi last night and there's no way to reopen the closed card. They said I'd have to apply for a new card for a hard pull and a new card number. Ended the call there. Oh well, next time I'll be more careful canceling cards.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:07 pm

Called Citi last night and there's no way to reopen the closed card. They said I'd have to apply for a new card for a hard pull and a new card number. Ended the call there. Oh well, next time I'll be more careful canceling cards.
I would HUCA, or better yet, reply back using the relevant SM and explain the mistake.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by MarkMColo
I would HUCA, or better yet, reply back using the relevant SM and explain the mistake.
Tried chat, SM, and calling again. All either told us to call or said it couldn't be done and the only option was for a new card.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 2:57 pm

So it sounds like this HH churn ends 12/31 when Citi loses Hilton to Amex. Nice to have advanced notice for planning purposes. After that all that's left with Citi is the occasional no-24 month link and AA mailers with 9 digits, which I haven't been fortunate enough to receive.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by IkeEsq
If your old HH card was just closed and then you applied for a new one, you should have expected that the new one would be denied under the 24-month rule.
Originally Posted by Ilseum
No, Citi never denies because of the 24 month rule. The 24 months rule just means that you wouldn't get the bonus if approved. Citi has other rules for instant denials (8/65, 2/90)

That's why this DP is quite interesting, maybe Citi implemented a new rule that hands out instant denials.
Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
It may still work if you get auto-approved, but if you have to call in, a senior analyst will deny your app if you've recently been approved for another Hilton card.
I can't swear Citi will, but I can, without any doubt whatsoever, assure you that Citi did deny my HHonors Visa app (the 75K one without the 24 month language) because of the 24 month rule. Saying Citi never denies is incorrect. It happened once to me and once to Ms J. I didn't fight with them over it because I didn't want to expose their flaw in the link.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LWT3
So it sounds like this HH churn ends 12/31 when Citi loses Hilton to Amex. Nice to have advanced notice for planning purposes. After that all that's left with Citi is the occasional no-24 month link and AA mailers with 9 digits, which I haven't been fortunate enough to receive.
Are you sure? If they have to convert all HH cards to something else (or transfer them to Amex) at the start of January 2018, why in the world would keep taking applications for this card right up to 12/31/2017?

On the contrary, I fear they might either stop taking applications, or TYP card style stop giving signup bonuses at all, long before then. because they'll see no point in it with such a short remaining lifespan for these cards (this one and the Reserve).

Don't read the fact that they haven't pulled it yet as a sign they won't. I wouldn't necessarily expect them to pull it until they've figured out what they will do (and are ready to announce what they will do) with still-open Citi HH card accounts come 2018.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
Applied for the Hilton Visa on 6/2 and did not get approved instantly. Just checked the status online and it says

"We are unable to complete your request at this time. Please call 1-888-201-4523 for further assistance."

Should I call or wait it out.

I used the 40k link without the 24m language
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by express3
Applied for the Hilton Visa on 6/2 and did not get approved instantly. Just checked the status online and it says

"We are unable to complete your request at this time. Please call 1-888-201-4523 for further assistance."

Wait for the mailer to see why they denied you.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by express3

Wait for the mailer to see why they denied you.
If that's a message from the online status checker, it does not necessarily mean denial, it just means the online status checker was unable to look up the application.

So try checking the status online again in a day or two.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 60k link B is acting dead at the moment.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Are you sure?
I was sloppy with my wording. I just meant it can't go on any later than year end. You're right that it could end sooner and really at any time.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
Originally Posted by sdsearch
If that's a message from the online status checker, it does not necessarily mean denial, it just means the online status checker was unable to look up the application.

So try checking the status online again in a day or two.

thanks! I'll check it again. I also found it odd that I didnt receive any email regarding my application

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.