Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2012, 6:57 am

Programs: No preference
What's all this no more churning talk? The 18 month "rule" was never a definitive thing. Some people could reapply after 12 months, even 6 months. Others could not get back in for 24 months or even more. But for most, the 18 months holds true.

It has been 17 months since my last app for the personal cards and 8 months since I got the business. I am applying for a round of cards today and will include the Citi Biz in my apps. Will report back the results.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
I am applying for a round of cards today and will include the Citi Biz in my apps. Will report back the results.
I'll be very interested to know your biz card result.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Happy
You would not be given the credit card number, let alone the cvs over the phone.

Think about it, if such info can be given over the phone by the CSR, especially the cvc, how can one assures the security of the card?
It can be done without giving card number or other info, if they have such a system. Like online websites having a credit card application when you are buying stuff, "do you want to apply to our credit card to pay this thing" - AA has a credit card application when you are buying a ticket. Same can go for phone as well, they do not need to see or give you the number - just need an interface to select the recently approved card as a payment.

Of course this is all a speculation on whether they bothered to implement this.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
does anyone know if the Business Citi for 50k still works?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by livestrongforever
does anyone know if the Business Citi for 50k still works?
If the link is active, it will work (regardless of the stated expiration date).
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
What's the best option for triggering the $150 statement credit if you don't have an American flight to purchase, aren't flying for access to inflight services, etc. I'd like to spend as little as possible so I can use the credit for something else.

Does the AAdvantage Shopping portal work? iTunes purchase through them? Other ideas?

Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Got approved for Visa Signature after 14 months

I thought I had an Amex Card already and never had the Visa Signature so I applied for the Visa Signature one. After I looked at my stack of cards, it turned out I made a mistake and I already have the Visa Signature for which I applied in Feb of 2011. However, to my great surprise I was approved with an $8,500 credit line. So I guess another data point is that I was approved 14 months after my initial application...And I just confirmed with the Citi Call center that I will be getting the 40K+10K bonus. Nice!

Last edited by vdostoi1; Apr 18, 2012 at 11:34 am Reason: Clarification
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Just applied for Mrs. ariyo15. Links still work - Visa/AMEX (personal) 50k each + $150 statement credit for first AA purchase.

Woohoo!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
You can request expedited card via either Fed ex or Ups to speed up receipt of card. This is true with Amex and Chase but I don't know if Citi does it .

They do it as a replacement card and you will get a second card via snail mail that you have to destroy

Happy probably knows the correct answer, as to whether Citi supplys this service
You can get it next-day'd to you from Citi. Their default shipping method is quite slow (usually 4-10 business days). Default shipping is also inconsistent...applied for Ma then Dad (within an hour), Dad's card got to him 4 days later, Ma's card arrived about 8 or 9 days later.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
What's the best option for triggering the $150 statement credit if you don't have an American flight to purchase, aren't flying for access to inflight services, etc. I'd like to spend as little as possible so I can use the credit for something else.

Does the AAdvantage Shopping portal work? iTunes purchase through them? Other ideas?
First of all, it depends on your specific card offer terms as to whether any purchase, or only $150 of purchase, will trigger the $150 credit. Some offers were any purchase, other offers were only $1 of credit per $1 of purchase, up to $150. So without you knowing that, we cannot answer that part of the quesiton for you.

Second, it has to be a purchase that comes out as billed to American Airlines. So no, stuff like AAdvantage Shopping doesn't work, because it's billed to the merchant you shop from. Gosh, even some stuff that seems like AA doesn't work, like Buy Miles, because they outsource that to points.com, and that's who it's billed to.

There an AA gift card somewhere that I think you can buy that counts as an AA purhcase. IIRC that's about the only thing that you can get that counts if you're not buying AA tickets or flying on AA.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Originally Posted by sdsearch
First of all, it depends on your specific card offer terms as to whether any purchase, or only $150 of purchase, will trigger the $150 credit. Some offers were any purchase, other offers were only $1 of credit per $1 of purchase, up to $150. So without you knowing that, we cannot answer that part of the quesiton for you.

Second, it has to be a purchase that comes out as billed to American Airlines. So no, stuff like AAdvantage Shopping doesn't work, because it's billed to the merchant you shop from. Gosh, even some stuff that seems like AA doesn't work, like Buy Miles, because they outsource that to points.com, and that's who it's billed to.

There an AA gift card somewhere that I think you can buy that counts as an AA purhcase. IIRC that's about the only thing that you can get that counts if you're not buying AA tickets or flying on AA.
Thanks.

I did the Away7 offer on a business card. I suppose I'll have to try a gift card. No use leaving good money on the table.

I did look at luggage tags ($20) but that was run by points.com too.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by absolem
It can be done without giving card number or other info, if they have such a system. Like online websites having a credit card application when you are buying stuff, "do you want to apply to our credit card to pay this thing" - AA has a credit card application when you are buying a ticket. Same can go for phone as well, they do not need to see or give you the number - just need an interface to select the recently approved card as a payment.

Of course this is all a speculation on whether they bothered to implement this.
AFAIK, Citi / AA does not have this system. Chase has something in place with AMZN card, AMEX has something in place with SPG card but can only be used to make reservation on SPG site.

AA definitely does not have that functionality. You can STORE an existing card info in AA's system so you dont need to type your card info each time but you still need to have the physical card on hand before you can do that.

Personally I prefer not to store my CC info with any merchant's site because none of them are secured enough not to be hacked. Think about how many security breach cases we have every year - ranging from the system being hacked to the backup data being lost in transit. It has become such a common place that other than in the scale of the TJ Maxx breach a few years ago, nobody would hear a blip these days, yet the security is getting worse.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, AA, WN, UA, US, WN, BA.
Here is a data point that I'm not sure has been discussed before:

Its been about 20 months since my last Citi AA apps. Tried the 2 browser trick simultaneously , was instantly approved for the first one I clicked through which was the Visa. Got the pending screen on the AMEX.

On the same day just a few minutes earlier in my App-O-Rama I applied for Chase United Explorer and Ink Bold and was approved on those (though with a call in to Chase for the Ink bold as expected). My state pulls from Experian on both Citi and Chase cards.

Today I called Citi to find out the status of my AA AMEX and they told me that it was denied due to too many inquiries in 5 days. The reconsideration line wouldn't budge either. This must mean that Citi was able to see the first application with them even though they were within a couple of seconds of each other. In addition, they probably don't like more than 3 pulls in less than 5 days.

Chalk this one up as a lesson learned and its a bummer I won't be able to double up for 100k AA miles this time. Won't make this mistake with my spouse!

Just wanted to pass this along so my fellow FT'ers don't make the same mistake.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:23 am

Thumbs up approved

Just got approved for both cards using two browser trick. Confirmed 50K after $3K in 4 months, $150 credit, $85 fee waived the fist year on both. Looking good
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: A few
glader just write a polite letter to the exec office saying you really hoped to get both versions of the card, that you like the amex network but want a mastercard or visa for other places that don't take too. you get a far more sensible recon approach with them than the droids in india you get on the regular csr lines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.