Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2012, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Happy
You are right - there is 25% discount for in flight purchase listed as benefits.

However it seems the new Citi AA card benefits are very poorly implemented with lots of bugs in the system based on the subject thread in AA forum where lots of complaint on not getting 1st checked bag free / no priority boarding and other misc items.

I almost feel that for those who dont have elite status but rely on the card to give them AA related benefits, they should carry a print on such with them when travel - the Ad in American Airways easily suffice - the benefits are clearly stated there.
yeah. Lots of bugs, but not all of them are negatives though. Some of which gives tremendous favor to the card holders.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: VX Silver
Hi everyone, here's my very first post in this forum...

I was about to buy some airplane tickets to Mexico and ran across this post. I noticed the card offered through the AA.com checkout only offers 30k miles so I decided to try instead the two browser simultaneous applications from the homepage, hopefully they will be for 50k.

I got immediately approved for the AMEX card and got a message on the VISA saying further review was required. Unlike the Delta SkyMiles AMEX that I got a while ago, this one was one available for immediate use, so I think I will have to wait until next week to purchase my tickets and get the $100 credit. Hopefully the prices don't go up a lot (LAX-MTY for second weekend in Nov).

So here's a question... Do you think my wife could do the same? Apply for the two cards?

I did not add her as an authorized user but if she applies she will obviously use the same address. What do you think? I don't really want her to ding her credit if she's not going to get approved but it would definitely be nice if we could each get 100k miles
Old Aug 29, 2012, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Irwin Alvarado
Hi everyone, here's my very first post in this forum...

So here's a question... Do you think my wife could do the same? Apply for the two cards?

I did not add her as an authorized user but if she applies she will obviously use the same address. What do you think? I don't really want her to ding her credit if she's not going to get approved but it would definitely be nice if we could each get 100k miles
As long as her credit score and income are good enough, she should apply assuming you can meet the minimum spend requirements. Even if she were added as an authorized user on your account, she could still apply for herself.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 4:07 pm

So I got the denial for the two-browser trick cards, caused I closed my AA Citi card a few months ago, but I called in and said I'm traveling a lot now and need the card again. The agent put me on hold and approved the Citi AMEX AA card, and confirmed 50k miles. I didn't mention the second app, but I called later and was not able to re-create same thing for the VISA.

Do you guys think it's worth trying to get the second one approved too?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
So I got the denial for the two-browser trick cards, caused I closed my AA Citi card a few months ago
How long ago did you open your last AA Citi card (before the one you just got)? How many months between approvals?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 5:23 pm

Yes.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yoyo
yeah. Lots of bugs, but not all of them are negatives though. Some of which gives tremendous favor to the card holders.
Yeah, the 3x - some programming error to use 2 instead of 1 in the calculation. He forgot to count the basic earning of 1. But unless you purchase a boat load of AA tickets, this little nicety does not help the majority of folks unfortunately.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 29, 2012 at 9:28 pm
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
Not sure if this is the place to post this, but this card has been so disappointing.
Everytime I use it a fraud alert stops the transaction. They even put a fraud
alert on a reoccurring charge for a storage room we had and they almost put
a lien on the room. I moved the reoccuring charge to Capital One Visa. Today
I bought an airline ticket and realized oh boy I better call them to make sure the
charge went through and they had not let it go thru. I made them call the OTA
while I held on and had them put it through. I regret getting rid of my Starwood
AMEX and will go back to them when the annual on this card is due.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:05 pm

Maybe 10-12 months, not long.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
So I got the denial for the two-browser trick cards, caused I closed my AA Citi card a few months ago, but I called in and said I'm traveling a lot now and need the card again. The agent put me on hold and approved the Citi AMEX AA card, and confirmed 50k miles. I didn't mention the second app, but I called later and was not able to re-create same thing for the VISA.

Do you guys think it's worth trying to get the second one approved too?
Worth what? A call or two and maybe spending twenty minutes or so on the phone? I'd say it is worth it. What is the downside? If they gave you the AmEx then they are not flat out prohibiting you so you might as well try to get both cards. If asked, you shop several places that don't take AmEx and you want to be able to move all of your transactions to your new AA cards, blah blah blah. When an airline or hotel gives you the wrong answer you call back!

Ike
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:16 pm

Welcome to FT, Irwin!

There is no reason that she can't apply and there is every reason to believe that she will be able to get both cards if she is a qualified borrower as you apparently are. Credit cards are individual and as noted even if she is an authorized user on one of your cards she can still get her own as well. She'll just need her own AA number. My wife and I both got the two 75K cards in April '11 on the same day and the 75K business 3 months later. No problems. Just gotta be able to make the spend.

Ike
Old Aug 29, 2012, 8:22 pm

Well you've encouraged me, I'll have to try again! Will report back my results!

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
Worth what? A call or two and maybe spending twenty minutes or so on the phone? I'd say it is worth it. What is the downside? If they gave you the AmEx then they are not flat out prohibiting you so you might as well try to get both cards. If asked, you shop several places that don't take AmEx and you want to be able to move all of your transactions to your new AA cards, blah blah blah. When an airline or hotel gives you the wrong answer you call back!

Ike
Old Aug 29, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: VX Silver
Originally Posted by IkeEsq
Welcome to FT, Irwin!

There is no reason that she can't apply and there is every reason to believe that she will be able to get both cards if she is a qualified borrower as you apparently are. Credit cards are individual and as noted even if she is an authorized user on one of your cards she can still get her own as well. She'll just need her own AA number. My wife and I both got the two 75K cards in April '11 on the same day and the 75K business 3 months later. No problems. Just gotta be able to make the spend.

Ike

Thanks... I'm still trying to convince her to go for it. If we put everything on them (gas, food, bills, etc) we can surely make the spend in 4 months.

How often do these type of deal come up? I assume this is a good one and might not come up that often right?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
No 2 browser trick for the business card. Use the link on page 1 for 50k miles.
Is this offer still available?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by khlay
Is this offer still available?
As long as the post is still up, it is available as far as any of us know. Of course, you may be the first one that it does not work for.

I expect that if/when the links stop working, the OP and the thread title will be edited to reflect that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.