Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott, Hyatt
Data point:

Reemed a couple hundred thousand miles on two award tickets in F to South America a week ago. The 10% rebate on miles redeemed (10,000 max) already posted to my AA account. Did not expect those to post until maybe December or January.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 5:16 am

I have a question. On Monday of last week I did the two browser trick and applied for the Visa and Amex cards. Both applications said they were under review. On the Amex application I was given the opportunity to chat with someone who approved that card. This person said the Visa application was still under review.

After two days I called Citi and was told I was declined for the Visa because I was approved for the Amex and that I cannot get the same offer twice. Am I out of luck with this? I did write a letter to the address listed a few places for reconsideration, but I am wondering if I have any chance of getting the second card. It would suck if I missed out on the other 50,000 miles, but at least my wife got approved for both the Amex and Visa cards. Thanks.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:21 am

I had a Citi AA personal card that I originally got almost 2 years ago with the 75k offer, and got a Citi AA business card a year ago. Then I converted the AA personal card to a Hilton card almost a year ago.

I'm aware of the approximately 2-year guideline for reapplying for the AA personal cards, which I satisfy, but I haven't found any information on whether I would be denied because I have an existing (or recent) AA Citi Business card. Does anyone know if I would be denied the AA Citi personal cards because of my existing AA Citi Business card?

Thanks.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:28 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by azlefty
Does anyone know if I would be denied the AA Citi personal cards because of my existing AA Citi Business card?
They have nothing to do with each other.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
Just wondering why would you want to chat with the same person about both your Visa and Amex? Did he/she saw both of your applications?

If not, then it is best to just leave your Visa application aside for another chat, or call for reconsider. You don't want he/she to notate on your Visa app that you've already approved for an Amex.

Originally Posted by packfanlv
I have a question. On Monday of last week I did the two browser trick and applied for the Visa and Amex cards. Both applications said they were under review. On the Amex application I was given the opportunity to chat with someone who approved that card. This person said the Visa application was still under review.

After two days I called Citi and was told I was declined for the Visa because I was approved for the Amex and that I cannot get the same offer twice. Am I out of luck with this? I did write a letter to the address listed a few places for reconsideration, but I am wondering if I have any chance of getting the second card. It would suck if I missed out on the other 50,000 miles, but at least my wife got approved for both the Amex and Visa cards. Thanks.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 2:23 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by echip
Just wondering why would you want to chat with the same person about both your Visa and Amex? Did he/she saw both of your applications?

If not, then it is best to just leave your Visa application aside for another chat, or call for reconsider. You don't want he/she to notate on your Visa app that you've already approved for an Amex.
They saw the other application and asked me about it. Then said they could only address the Amex application. I thought it was a little weird. The letter I received in the mail stated I was declined for having multiple applications. The reconsideration line was useless. They wouldn't help me. In the end I sent a letter and hopefully I will hear back. If not, then I guess it wasn't meant to be!
Old Nov 3, 2012, 3:16 pm

It took awhile for me to finally get my personal platinum card in the mail but I finally got it today.

I guess some of us had different experiences with when we went to to confirm on the phone. I called and "played stupid" asking what I get.

I was told the 40,000 miles if I spend $2000 in 4 months and an extra 10,000 miles if I spend $5,000 in 12 months. When I asked about the $100 statement credit he said I would get this too. I then said any chance I get some club passes and he put me on hold to check, he said I would be getting 2 passes within 8 weeks. So basically I am getting everything that was in the promotion.

I recently booked a flight on AA but that was before I found the promotion. Bummed I couldn't use the $100 for the flight, but I will probably order chips or something on the flight.

Thanks FT. You guys really know your stuff!
Old Nov 3, 2012, 5:33 pm

Two Browser Trick

It appears that at least three people have reported getting denied on the second application when applying for two personal AA cards on the same day. Can anyone confirm the two-browser trick working in the last week?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
It appears that at least three people have reported getting denied on the second application when applying for two personal AA cards on the same day. Can anyone confirm the two-browser trick working in the last week?
Time will tell. Could just be temporary glitchyness messing with the glitch. One poster initially got the "multiple applications" denial which is what you normally get when you submit three applications within 60 days.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:04 pm
AAL

Still working

I applied on Thursday, November 1 and was approved for both the Citi Amex and Visa. I did an online chat for both applications, one with a rep in Oklahoma and the other in Maryland. (I use a PO Box for mailing, but had to put my street address on the app, so they wanted to verify my address. Same thing happened when I applied for my spouse a month ago.)

I did actually use two different browsers.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by ddallas
Time will tell. Could just be temporary glitchyness messing with the glitch. One poster initially got the "multiple applications" denial which is what you normally get when you submit three applications within 60 days.
Yeah I am going to put it down to bad luck / sticky fingers until we see a host of reports
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by AAL
I applied on Thursday, November 1 and was approved for both the Citi Amex and Visa. I did an online chat for both applications, one with a rep in Oklahoma and the other in Maryland. (I use a PO Box for mailing, but had to put my street address on the app, so they wanted to verify my address. Same thing happened when I applied for my spouse a month ago.)

I did actually use two different browsers.
Thanks! My general suspicion is that most people do it, it works, they move on and it is mainly people for whom it does not work that post. However, I had not heard of anyone recently having it work and multiple who said it didn't with the same sort of error. Just gets me nervous. Still have a couple of months until we try again . . .
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
I applied for both today, using the 2 browser trick, and was immediately approved for both. I had both cards 2 years ago, but since cancelled (one just last week.)
Old Nov 3, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by penner42
On the personal card, I bought a $50 AA gift card and got my $100 statement credit. No idea if that works for the business card, but it's not specifically excluded in that last.
I don't think I've seen anyone post a success story with luggage tags. I'm in the same situation you are, and I'm going to buy gift cards (for my 3 accounts) even though I don't know when I'll be able to use them. $150 is more than $50 anyway. I'm also torn between a physical and a virtual card. I'd love to buy a virtual, but then I won't even be able to buy a drink with it.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 5:36 am

Got 50k miles After 3k spent and $150 after $50 aa gift card purchase with aa biz card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.