Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Droch
The link is providing an error. Tried it in a cleared out browser and still didn't work. Anyone have a 50k working link?
Can you please be more spefic? Which link, what error?

I just clicked the link (using IE) in post #1 and it opened correctly. (I did not try to go further.)

It's unclear to me whether that's the link you're referring to, and it's unclear to me whether it's not coming up at all or whether it's something else about it that's not working.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:19 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But of course, that was simply their interpration of that sentence back then, and I have no idea whether on Citi apps of today that include that sentence the interpretation is the same as back then.

Any guinea pigs around?
I have had this card 3 times in 2011 and gotten the bonus each time. I will be applying for the 4th time in late february.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by particlemn
I have had this card 3 times in 2011 and gotten the bonus each time. I will be applying for the 4th time in late february.
Did you cancel every time by phone or through secure messages?

Thanks
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by iqbalt80
Did you cancel every time by phone or through secure messages?

Thanks
first time by phone, second two by secure message. i was planning on reapplying so i did not want to bother with the offer of 3000 points to keep the card and having to tell the rep over and over to please cancel the card
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The one time I applied (so far) for the Citi HHonors card (in my case the 40k), even though I supplied my existing HHonors number, they generated a new one, and I had to "consolidate" the HHonors accounts.

Did that happen to you 3, 2, 1, or 0 times?

Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The one time I applied (so far) for the Citi HHonors card (in my case the 40k), even though I supplied my existing HHonors number, they generated a new one, and I had to "consolidate" the HHonors accounts.

Did that happen to you 3, 2, 1, or 0 times?

Thanks.
nope each time they went to my existing hhonors number that i supplied on the application. when i got the first one i was just blue and they upgraded teh account to siver, the other two i got I was already gold from the MVP 4 night stay deal. and it kept me as gold, which i am now keeping by keeping the amex surpass card.
i think this card is low on citi's radar for churning since 50k points are not like 50k miles on AA
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:04 am
aap

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, United Silver
@particlemn - Impressive run if you are getting your 4th card in a year.

Please describe your churn strategy for this card. For example:
1. how quickly are you completing the minimum spend
2. how long after the minimum spend do you cancel the card?
3. After canceling the card, how quickly do you reapply for it?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:25 pm

links

Thank you all for posting the links.

I would like to know for sure I am applying for a 50K point Hilton Card. The application page via the link does not tell me for sure that I am signing up for that promo. IS there a link out there with a cover page...that says the offer and then to click somewhere to apply now?

Thanks!
mike
Old Feb 5, 2012, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by MrMike1876
Thank you all for posting the links.

I would like to know for sure I am applying for a 50K point Hilton Card. The application page via the link does not tell me for sure that I am signing up for that promo. IS there a link out there with a cover page...that says the offer and then to click somewhere to apply now?

Thanks!
mike
It seems like you are asking for the same information that has been asked and discussed starting with this post.

FWIW, I was not targeted for this offer by email or otherwise. But, I trusted the discussion in this thread, clicked the link and applied on 1/27. On 2/3 I received the card and activated it and I confirmed the offer described in this thread was applicable on my new card by calling CS post-activation (normally I would have confirmed it as part of activating the card; but, it was an automated activation number).
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:19 am

instant approval on Friday for card number 4 , last approval was nov 17, 78 days
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United 1K,
instant approval on Friday for card number 4 , last approval was nov 17, 78 days
How long do you wait from canceling one card to opening the next?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by DAS02135
How long do you wait from canceling one card to opening the next?
I had canceled the card on monday and applied on friday.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:23 pm

I had canceled the card on monday and applied on friday.
Do you keep an eye on your credit score? If so, I'd be interested to know how these frequent account openings and quick closures affect your score, both cyclically as you churn and over the long term.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by kdoughboy
Do you keep an eye on your credit score? If so, I'd be interested to know how these frequent account openings and quick closures affect your score, both cyclically as you churn and over the long term.
yes i do, I started this with other cards too about 16 months ago and my score droped from 810 to 760(about 10 apps per year) but now it just ranges 760-770 and the new inquerys only affect me by 2 pts that quickly go back up. when i was at 810 they were like 15 pt drops
Old Mar 10, 2012, 3:04 pm
GGE

Programs: DL, US, AA, Marriott Silver, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by Milano Suprano
Got a decent offer today for a 50,000 Citibank Hilton Visa card. No fee, 50k once you spend $1,500 within 6 months. Also, gives silver membership and fast track to gold after 6 stays within 90 days of card membership. I don't think its a targeted offer.

50k $1,500 within 6 months
https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/...BN3dPJB8bEAPl2
*Updated link (see post #141)
Adding a data point -

Apped this offer on March 3, 2012 and was approved instantly. There was no splash page, so I had to just have faith and give it a shot.

The card came today and there was an automatic activation line so I didn't get an opportunity to ask anyone if the promo was attached -

BUT -

a couple of days ago I noticed my Hhonors account changed to Silver status instead of Blue SO it seems safe to say that there was indeed a promo attached and still working.

I would love to get some confirmation of the promotional terms though - I do wish I had a screenshot of the splash page. But I will have faith! FT has not led me astray thus far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.