Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2012, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Citi called for my wife this aft but we wernt home.
Called back but their systems were down.unable to pull her app but i think shell get approved when she tries monday.will report back
Old Apr 8, 2012, 4:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
You just use the same link in two different browsers. You're applying for two separate accounts with the same card.
what you mean 2 separate account?

can my sister do 2 browser trick for herself?

just use the same link and hit submit twice right?
does she need any hilton account number or something to enter in the card application.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jimmy1
what you mean 2 separate account?

can my sister do 2 browser trick for herself?

just use the same link and hit submit twice right?
does she need any hilton account number or something to enter in the card application.
You get two separate cards with two separate account numbers--you don't get duplicate cards with the same account number. All communications from Citi--your welcome packet, the delivery of your card, your monthly bills--will be in separate mailings (snail and email) for each account. You'll have to hit the spending requirements for each card separately. And, when you go to close the accounts, you'll have to close each account separately.

Assuming your sister has good credit, she can follow the same steps.

Do NOT just hit the submit link twice; you're sure to receive only one account that way. A concise description of the "two browser" trick is in item 5) of this post: http://millionmilesecrets.com/2011/0...vantage-miles/. Use the same technique described there for Citi's AA cards for Citi's Hilton cards.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 8:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
You get two separate cards with two separate account numbers--you don't get duplicate cards with the same account number. All communications from Citi--your welcome packet, the delivery of your card, your monthly bills--will be in separate mailings (snail and email) for each account. You'll have to hit the spending requirements for each card separately. And, when you go to close the accounts, you'll have to close each account separately.

Assuming your sister has good credit, she can follow the same steps.

Do NOT just hit the submit link twice; you're sure to receive only one account that way. A concise description of the "two browser" trick is in item 5) of this post: http://millionmilesecrets.com/2011/0...vantage-miles/. Use the same technique described there for Citi's AA cards for Citi's Hilton cards.
i have done 2 browser tricks before.

If I get the citi hilton card and close next year to make room for newer offer , do you lose the hilton points? how many nights at hilton hotels and its partners with 50 or 100k points?

I just checked demo hotel reservation on the HILTON HONOR webiste choosing hilton points to pay but no matter what date i choose, which hotel ,which city or country it says,
“There are no HHonors Reward Certificate rooms available for 08 Aug 2012 – 10 Aug2012 at DoubleTree
Old Apr 8, 2012, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I get the citi hilton card and close next year to make room for newer offer , do you lose the hilton points?
Next year? No, you definitely won't lose the Hilton points.

I thought you would ask if you would lose the Hilton points if you canceled right after they post. I don't even think that would happen, but I don't know if we have reports from anyone who cancelled the Citi Hilton Visa card that soon. But certainly, if you wait a whole 8 months (that's how long it is to next year), zero problem.

Gosh, even Chase, which has been known in the past to take back points or miles in certain cases, doesn't do that if you wait 6 months or more. But since Citi doesn't take back AA miles even if you cancel right after the bonus posts, I don't see they would with Hilton points.

how many nights at hilton hotels and its partners with 50 or 100k points?
First of all, no "its partners". Only hotel brands in Hilton HHonors family can be gotten with Hilton HHonors points. There aren't any partnerships with Hilton HHonors for redemption (the way there are with most airlines). Only one or two hotel programs have partnership redemptions (Choice is the one I can think of offhand, which partners with a couple luxury brands that don't have their own points programs, for redemption but not for earning).

Meanwhile, how many Hilton HHonors points depends on the specific hotel. You can find Hampton in the US that are sometimes as low as 12,500. So 8 nights at those using just points with 100k. But they're not as common, and never in big cities at that rate. On the high end, there are some hotels that are at 50k for just one night, I think. But if you're not specifically after the high end, you can avoid paying that many points for a night (usually there's a less high-end hotel in the same city for fewer points).

Furthermore, you can often get the best return on points and money value by using points+cash rates, when available. (Those are only available at some hotels, and even then only on some dates.) A common situation is to get a points+cash rate where you need only about half the points and the cash portion is a small fraction (way less than half) of the hotel's lowest money rate.

If you don't enter a Hilton Account Number in the application, they will generate a new one for you. Obviously, thus, if you do two apps, they will generate two new ones for you. You'll then have to call Hilton to straighten that out (combine them into one, or if you already had an account with Hilton, combine both of them into your existing account).

I would therefore recommend if you have a Hilton Account Number that you put into at least one of the two apps.

Having said that, the one time I applied for the Citi HHonors Visa card so far, even though I put in my Hilton Account Number, they still generated a new one. It took quite a few calls to Hilton and Citi to get it all straightened out.

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 8, 2012 at 9:15 am Reason: added reply about Hilton Account Number
Old Apr 8, 2012, 1:17 pm

ihow many nights at hilton hotels [...] with 50 or 100k points?
As sdsearch says, there's no simple answer. If you want to understand the Hilton program's redemption options, you'll need to invest a little time reading up on it. Suggestion: my multi-part FAQ, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...hing-else.html. (Impatient types can get by with reading post #14 by itself.)
Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Just be a diamond and go to SEZ for 4 nights. They will turn the 50k/night HH hotels there into a deal of just 170k points!

Anyway we called Citi just now and I did all the bitness but they just needed to chat with my wife for a moment first (I always love that bit--I could have gotten any female for their purposes!)

They approved her for a $5k limit and she still has the older HH card with a $6k limit and her already existing Citi AA Visa with a $6k limit.

Nice!

Maybe we will try this again sometime soon.

MM
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Card arrived today. I thought because it was an old offer I would only get 4pts/$ at Hilton, 2/$ at gas and grocery and 1/$ everything else but they explained to me that it was 4 extra pts for hilton and 1 extra for gas and grocery. I said extra on top of what? I don't know where you are starting from . Lol, he could have just said 6/3/1pts

Anyway I am pleased as punch as I would have preferred the bonus points over the 10,000 pts for sign up over the current offer. Now I have both.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phdtomd
they explained to me that it was 4 extra pts for hilton and 1 extra for gas and grocery. I said extra on top of what? I don't know where you are starting from . Lol, he could have just said 6/3/1pts
So did they answer your "extra on top of what" question or not???

Without an answer, the way I would understand it is that you get 1 point on everything, then on top of that 1 point you get an extra 4 for hilton and extra 1 for gas and grocery. Which would make it 5/2/1, not 6/3/1.

I've seen plenty of offers that say you earn 1 whatever on every dollar you buy, and then express the special categories as "extra" whatevers in those categories.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
So did they answer your "extra on top of what"
The base rate is 2 points per dollar:

Earn 6 HHonors Bonus Points per $1 spent at participating hotels within Hilton Worldwide’s 10 distinct brands
Earn 3 HHonors Bonus Points per $1 spent on purchases at supermarkets, drugstores & gas stations
Earn 2 HHonors Bonus Points per $1 spent on all other purchases
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:56 pm

So did they answer your "extra on top of what" question or not???

Without an answer, the way I would understand it is that you get 1 point on everything, then on top of that 1 point you get an extra 4 for hilton and extra 1 for gas and grocery. Which would make it 5/2/1, not 6/3/1.

I've seen plenty of offers that say you earn 1 whatever on every dollar you buy, and then express the special categories as "extra" whatevers in those categories.
Sorry, what Mia said

they said base is 2/$

So 6/3/2
Old Apr 11, 2012, 1:41 pm

I'm planning to cancel my Citi AAdvantage Amex & Visa cards (my only Citi cards) and go for the 2 browser trick on the Citi Hilton visa card. Should I cancel first and then apply? Would they give me a hard time if I cancel first? Please advice.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mmaoao
I'm planning to cancel my Citi AAdvantage Amex & Visa cards (my only Citi cards) and go for the 2 browser trick on the Citi Hilton visa card. Should I cancel first and then apply? Would they give me a hard time if I cancel first? Please advice.
i have canceled my two aa cards and got instant approval on the citi honnors visa all 5 times i have applied for it
Old Apr 11, 2012, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phdtomd
Sorry, what Mia said

they said base is 2/$

So 6/3/2
Ok, sorry. I keep forgetting the details. All I remember is the simple fact: "The Citi HHonors Visa earns less in every circumstance than the HHonors Amex."

The HHonors Amex (the one without any annual fee) is 6+500/6/3, and furthermore earns 6 not just at gas/grocery/drug but also phone service and internet service providors. By 6+500, I mean on HHonors online-booked stays, you earns 6 points per dollar (that part is the same as the Citi HHonors Visa) but also a flat 500 points online booking bonus which AFAIK only works with the Amex. Thus since I book all my HHonors stays online, and especially since most of the my HHonors stays are one-night stays at not-very-expensive hotels, I would certainly use my HHonors Amex for the extra 500 points instead of the Citi HHonors Visa with no extra points.

Thus IMHO the Citi HHonors Visa is for signup bonuses (or if for some reason you can't get the HHonors Amex), not for actual continued usage (if you have both), except at most as a backup for those places which don't take Amex.

To have more value compared to the HHonors Amex (without changing the earnings structure), it would have to add an international-usage-oriented feature, such as 0% forex, and/or EMV (global chip), which no cards from Amex (the bank) have. Then it might at least be better than the HHonors Amex outside the US.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:13 pm

Ok, sorry. I keep forgetting the details. All I remember is the simple fact: "The Citi HHonors Visa earns less in every circumstance than the HHonors Amex."

The HHonors Amex (the one without any annual fee) is 6+500/6/3, and furthermore earns 6 not just at gas/grocery/drug but also phone service and internet service providors. By 6+500, I mean on HHonors online-booked stays, you earns 6 points per dollar (that part is the same as the Citi HHonors Visa) but also a flat 500 points online booking bonus which AFAIK only works with the Amex. Thus since I book all my HHonors stays online, and especially since most of the my HHonors stays are one-night stays at not-very-expensive hotels, I would certainly use my HHonors Amex for the extra 500 points instead of the Citi HHonors Visa with no extra points.

Thus IMHO the Citi HHonors Visa is for signup bonuses (or if for some reason you can't get the HHonors Amex), not for actual continued usage (if you have both), except at most as a backup for those places which don't take Amex.

To have more value compared to the HHonors Amex (without changing the earnings structure), it would have to add an international-usage-oriented feature, such as 0% forex, and/or EMV (global chip), which no cards from Amex (the bank) have. Then it might at least be better than the HHonors Amex outside the US.

I must have missed your point somewhere in between your long rambling about amex. Can you dumb it down or use less words

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.