Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by koolr
I used the link from the first post in this thread. I activated my first card i just received, and the CSR confirmed 50k bonus after spending $1500 in 6 months.
2 links for 2 browser trick. any links?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:14 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jimmy1
2 links for 2 browser trick. any links?
You just use the same link in two different browsers. You're applying for two separate accounts with the same card.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
If you are willing to share, how many days was it from the time you applied for the card - 'till the time you received it?
For instant approvals exactly 6 days.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 12:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
You just use the same link in two different browsers. You're applying for two separate accounts with the same card.
how can they approve you for 2 of the same exact card? different company logo? like one is visa & one is mc?
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:31 am

how can they approve you for 2 of the same exact card? different company logo? like one is visa & one is mc?
Yes, they can and they have approved the EXACT same card twice. I also got approved for 2 Citi AA Visa EXACT same cards a few months ago (one credit pull), however, this time they pulled my credit again for the second HHonors card when they approved me on phone.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 12:00 pm
Suspended

i got approved for citi advantage amex and visa together 9 months ago. but never heared of same exact card getting approved twice at same time until yesterday.

what i heared from expert is 18 months rule to churn, which is close and wait 18 month on CITI cards, on chase you just don't get approved for same card, even if you apply 2 years apart. you have to either close the first one and wait sometime or have the card changed to a different card and then apply for the same card.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i got approved for citi advantage amex and visa together 9 months ago. but never heared of same exact card getting approved twice at same time until yesterday.

what i heared from expert is 18 months rule to churn, which is close and wait 18 month on CITI cards, on chase you just don't get approved for same card, even if you apply 2 years apart. you have to either close the first one and wait sometime or have the card changed to a different card and then apply for the same card.
18 to 20 months lapse seemingly only applies for AAdvantage cards which by far the most popular and most valuable bonus among Citi cards.

It is saver to do different cards but the same card could be done, though not as a sure shot as different cards. Your decision naturally.

Check HHonor redemption chart you will see even 100K HHonor points do not carry you very far for decent hotels in decent location.

Besides, the back door to transfer AA miles to HHonor points at a 2 to 3 ratio roughly, has not closed, yet.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 1, 2012 at 2:06 pm
Old Apr 1, 2012, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
18 to 20 months laps seemingly only applies for AAdvantage cards which by far the most popular and most valuable bonus among Citi cards.

It is saver to do different cards but the same card could be done, though not as a sure shot as different cards. Your decision naturally.

Check HHonor redemption chart you will see even 100K HHonor points do not carry you very far for decent hotels in decent location.

Besides, the back door to transfer AA miles to HHonor points at a 2 to 3 ratio roughly, has not closed, yet.
the aadvantage mile is best of all i guess? it is good for not just AMERICAN AIRLINE but (one world), good for hotel stays and car rentals too.
southwest and united fly to limited places with no partner airlines like AA, so united and sw card bonus miles and points are not useful like the advantage miles?

Last edited by jimmy1; Apr 1, 2012 at 2:37 pm
Old Apr 1, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
You will not loose your AA miles regardless of when you close your Citi AA cards.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the aadvantage mile is best of all i guess? it is good for not just AMERICAN AIRLINE but (one world), good for hotel stays and car rentals too.
southwest and united fly to limited places with no partner airlines like AA, so united and sw card bonus miles and points are not useful like the advantage miles?
Southwest, that's true, but United is a member of Star Alliance, which includes even more partner airlines than oneworld. It partners to/within Europe with, among others, SAS, Lufthansa, SWISS, etc.

Meanwhile, unless you're earning tons of AA miles (way more than from a couple card signups), you won't have enough to use for multiple flights plus hotel stays and car rentals. The redemption for hotel stays and car rentals is not necessarily all that good a value usually, compared to the value of redeeming a comparable number of miles on overseas flights.

Only real hotel points have greater value, only when used at (a fraction of) that hotel program's own hotels.

Any time you use miles / points for something other than their original purpose (miles for flights, hotel points for hotels in that program), the program switches from acces to "excess capacity" sometimes at fantastic value, to simply being the equvalent of "cashbacK', because when they let you book "any hotel anywhere" or they let you book a hotel or car with airline miles, they're simply purchasing the hotel room or car rental for a certain fixed number of miles/points per dollar. The value of real hotel points and real airline miles is when sometimes you can find redemptions that are way greater than a fixed number of milies/points per dollar (that it would cost cash). The best example of that is that in ailrine programs like AA and UA, whereas in cash a business class ticket may cost 5x to 10x what a coach ticket would, in miles it usually only costs double. (And, through a strange quirk, sometimes even it costs the same, like sometimes for domestic Christmas holiday flights, which you can often only find coach awards at "anytime" double the miles, but you can still find business/first class seats at "saver" awards which are exactly the same miles requirement as "anytime" coach awards!)

Now, getting back to the Hilton HHonors Visa, while outright (points only) redemptions at HHonors are not necessarily all that great very often, now they often have very good value "points + cash" rates, where for a very reasonable $$ per night you use about half the points. It often works out a better value than either paying cash or using only points!
Old Apr 2, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by scwam
For instant approvals exactly 6 days.
Thank you for the response! Just got an e-mail today stating I was approved. I assume I will see the card wihin a few days.

Break

Wish I would of read more about the 2 browser trick for the exact same card. I read about it for the Citi AA Visa/AMEX even though I failed to take advantage of it. But did not know before that you could use it for the exact same card.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Just pulled the trigger. Hope it works out. This is my 2nd Citi in two days. Applied for the AA on Sunday ( instant ) applied just now for HH ( Instant ). I hope I am not dooming my future as I am going to medical school in the fall.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Gold, SPG Gold
Did the two-brower trick on the 50K offer. Both resulted in pending messages, but was able to get to the account options sign-up screen on both, so that seems promising.

Called Citi's CSR and all they wanted was to confirm my cell phone number and then was approved. CSR confirmed the deal terms of 50K plus the other perks mentioned above. Now trying to decide if I should call on the second application one as well? Or hold off and see what happens so not to draw attention to the two apps.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by tde211
Did the two-brower trick on the 50K offer. Both resulted in pending messages, but was able to get to the account options sign-up screen on both, so that seems promising.

Called Citi's CSR and all they wanted was to confirm my cell phone number and then was approved. CSR confirmed the deal terms of 50K plus the other perks mentioned above. Now trying to decide if I should call on the second application one as well? Or hold off and see what happens so not to draw attention to the two apps.
I made two simultaneous applications on Sunday, 4/1. Thanks to this thread, I didn't go 40K/50K but made two 50K apps. I didn't call anybody as I'm not in any rush for the points. Today in my email box, I had two emails confirming the approvals of each application. Each email referenced a different final four digits of my new card number so I know I'm getting two cards. I won't call to confirm the 50K HHonors points either. I didn't when I applied for the Citi AA Visa and the Citi AA Business under the old 75K deals. My faith in FT has been well rewarded with lots of miles and points over the last year.

My only question is whether the two browser trick can be run faithfully every 90 days. I know that single card applications have later been churned with single card applications. Looking at this thread, however, I didn't see any situation where someone applied for and received two cards, waited 90 days, canceled the cards, and then applied for two again.

I just suspect it's a little early in the game to know the answer to this yet as it appears churning of the cards only became known in the last couple of months with the two browser trick being applied even more recently. I might be interested in doing this if the ThankYou points transfer rumors don't come true because I'm 8-10 months away from any potential new Citi AA apps.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
I did the two-browser trick just now using the 50K application twice. Neither was instantly approved. One app went to Step 5 (which I assume means I'm good), and the other app went to the dreaded Step 3.

I have 4 other Citi cards, but I've never applied for a Hilton card before and haven't applied for any in Citi cards in at least 6 months.

Should I call to nag the reconsideration line about the 2nd app? If so, should I wait until I get the first card? What do people tell Citi as to why they need two of the same cards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.