Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
From what I've seen they will only give you the difference between the bonus you got and the current bonus, if it's greater.
Not true. They changed the Terms and Conditions sometime last year. I've now successfully churned the SPG and the Delta cards. You just need to have closed your cards for at least a year before applying again.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mosu84
Not true. They changed the Terms and Conditions sometime last year. I've now successfully churned the SPG and the Delta cards. You just need to have closed your cards for at least a year before applying again.
Ah, so kind of like Citi. Good to know, I'll keep that in mind.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philemer
Closer to 18>26 months from app. date. That's not my definition of churning.
That's still churnable, just slowly churnable.

And is that all that different from some other cards from other banks, where you have wait years for them to "forget" you, but once they do, you can repeat?

(There are cards which are not churnable for 5+ years, like apparently Chase Marriott Visa cards. Don't you need to call something that can be churned in "only" 2 years or so "churnable" to contrast against that??? )

And it's not clear if none of the AA are more churnable than that. The 18-26 months is for the "first-time" cards, but there are a handful of "new accounts" cards (including ones listed at citicards.com when you search rewards cards) that might be churnable a bit faster. (It's just that they have lower bonuses, so until the 2-at-a-time 50k trick stopped working, not many people were considering 30k cards.)
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Just applied for this card today because it had been 68 days since my last approval. I got a message that said "call us now". I called the 1-800 # and worried I might not be approved. The CSR asked me to wait a minute while she looked at my app. A minute late she came back on and said she could issue the card with a $5700 CL or take some from my other Hh card or TY card and increase the amount to $10K. I said the $5700 CL would be fine. Sweet!

And thanks to sdserach for his many reminders that this card is churnable every 65 days.
Do I need to cancel my existing HH card to churn them or can I leave them open and apply for another 2?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
And it's not clear if none of the AA are more churnable than that. The 18-26 months is for the "first-time" cards, but there are a handful of "new accounts" cards (including ones listed at citicards.com when you search rewards cards) that might be churnable a bit faster. (It's just that they have lower bonuses, so until the 2-at-a-time 50k trick stopped working, not many people were considering 30k cards.)
The language makes no difference as one poster just got the "first time only" card while still have 3 AA cards open, and the last pair is only opened Dec 2012, barely 3 months ago. The MC Gold card has the "first time only" language in T&Cs.

I wish this split hair, wishful thinking of "interpretation" of the language would just stop because this is really pure speculation on FTers part in the hope of finding the "holy grail" what works and what not...

Those who actually tested the boundary and got Real Outcome / Fresh Data are far more helpful in finding whether there is such a "rule" or there is NONE.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 7:07 am

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott, Hyatt
Data point.

Called to cancel after having card for about a month and meeting $1000 spend quite easily.

Offered 5000 HH points if I spend $1000 in the next 3 months. I accepted.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:38 am

How long does it take for the Citi Hilton HHonors Visa card bonus points to post after hitting the minimum spend? I'd like to be able to hit 145,000 points before March 28th (so that I can book an AXON 4-day stay before the devaluation), and this would be the easiest way for me to do so. Thanks, -Karl
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by karlmitchell
How long does it take for the Citi Hilton HHonors Visa card bonus points to post after hitting the minimum spend? I'd like to be able to hit 145,000 points before March 28th (so that I can book an AXON 4-day stay before the devaluation), and this would be the easiest way for me to do so. Thanks, -Karl
I've had a couple of different scenarios. My first card posted as soon as I met the spend. My second card did not post until the statement closed. YMMV.

Same thing happened with mine and my wifes Amex Hilton cards. Mine posted once spend was met, but hers was not until the statement.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:25 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
I'm in the same boat!! I need the DisHHonor points to post hehe I just got the card today
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by caGALINDO
I'm in the same boat!! I need the DisHHonor points to post hehe I just got the card today
DisHhonor...Hehehe. I see what you did there. ^
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Yesterday, I applied for the 50k Citi Hilton Honors VISA and then the Citi Hilton Honors Reserve a few minutes later.

Instantly approved on the 50k version, but got a "please call" message on my computer for the Reserve card. When I called, the representative noted that I already was auto-approved for the 50k card, and asked if I had intended to apply for both. I said, "Yes", and he replied, "OK, but the first card took all of your 30k credit limit." He offered to split the credit limit 15k and 15k between the two cards, which was fine with me. Cards are on their way.

I plan on keeping the Reserve for its "Instant HH Gold" feature, and not use the 50k card after qualifying for the bonus points.

Hmm are you saying $30K is the maximum Citi will extend across all cards? If that is the case I'm up to $24K across 3 cards personal cards. I'm assuming they no not include the Biz cards, since the CL on that would put me over $30K
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by texasguy77
Hmm are you saying $30K is the maximum Citi will extend across all cards? If that is the case I'm up to $24K across 3 cards personal cards. I'm assuming they no not include the Biz cards, since the CL on that would put me over $30K
CL is determined by your income and credit history, I doubt Citi has a $30k limit for all clients, I'm positive there are many that need more than that.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL GM
Was hovering near the trigger on these before the deval but now am wondering if it's worth it. Only one card available now, 50k seems to get only one free night in most hotels I'd be interested in. Would be nice to have a Hilton card to get the bonus spent on stays, preferably one that gives gold status so I can get the gold bonus plus whatever bonus the card gives on Hilton spend.

Wavering between one of these, the Amex Surpass, or the Hilton Reserve card. Anyone care to opine on which is the "best?"
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Frinkiac7
Was hovering near the trigger on these before the deval but now am wondering if it's worth it. Only one card available now, 50k seems to get only one free night in most hotels I'd be interested in. Would be nice to have a Hilton card to get the bonus spent on stays, preferably one that gives gold status so I can get the gold bonus plus whatever bonus the card gives on Hilton spend.

Wavering between one of these, the Amex Surpass, or the Hilton Reserve card. Anyone care to opine on which is the "best?"
Without knowing how you define "best" I would have to say the Reserve and then Surpass in that order. The Reserve will give you two nights in any Hilton, while the Surpass will just give you the 50/60k points.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:13 am

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by PainCorp
Without knowing how you define "best" I would have to say the Reserve and then Surpass in that order. The Reserve will give you two nights in any Hilton, while the Surpass will just give you the 50/60k points.
The Reserve confers gold as long as you hold the card and Surpass only for One year. The Reserve also arrives in a prettier package

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.