Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Ie, you've never had to close anything before applying for Citi card. Citi doesn't care what's closed and what's open, it cares when you last applied for something.
I believe the Citi AA business card is (and has been for some time) an exception to this rule.
The data point in this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20457740-post5622.html (post 5622)

seems to indicate that's not an exception. It states that someone got a second Citi AA business card while having the first one still open, just waiting long enough since the first one was opened. (And this is a data point from just last week, after all the recent changes already were in effect!)
Old Mar 21, 2013, 1:44 pm

Is there any way, short of calling, to verify which Hilton account Citi has on file? I entered a number on the app, but my statement closed on the 19th and was available to view Yesterday (20th) and no points have posted to my account yet (21st). I'll give it another day - but in the interim I'd like to find a way to verify the account number. I checked the statement, and I clicked around the Citi site but can't find it anywhere. Also, how quickly do the points typically post?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The data point in this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20457740-post5622.html (post 5622)

seems to indicate that's not an exception. It states that someone got a second Citi AA business card while having the first one still open, just waiting long enough since the first one was opened. (And this is a data point from just last week, after all the recent changes already were in effect!)
I had the visa and mc biz cards at the same time. Both opened within the same year with 6 months gap in between.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Datapoint:
1/20/2013: Applied and accepted for Citibank Hilton Reserve
3/6/2013: HH Reserve Statement Closed, Met Spending Requirements, received Free Night Certs by email approximately 10 days later
3/21/2013: Applied and accepted for Citibank Hilton (Basic): Needed to call CSR to confirm some information and accepted for 50,000 HH Points Visa.

sdcarver
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by CFFrost
Is there any way, short of calling, to verify which Hilton account Citi has on file? I entered a number on the app, but my statement closed on the 19th and was available to view Yesterday (20th) and no points have posted to my account yet (21st). I'll give it another day - but in the interim I'd like to find a way to verify the account number. I checked the statement, and I clicked around the Citi site but can't find it anywhere. Also, how quickly do the points typically post?
Gonna quote myself here and try to follow-up and see if anyone can provide any more guidance for me. My points still have not posted. I tried to call Citi and the rep told me points take 60-90 days from the close of first statement to begin posting to accounts. Obviously I know this is not true (I'm talking about spend points not the 50k bonus - I didn't hit he $1k spend in the first month). I tried to verify Hilton account number and he told me he did not have that information and told me to call Hilton. Basically he did not want to do anything to help me because he was convinced that it takes 60-90 days for points to begin posting. Has anyone else gotten this run around? I am going to try to call Hilton, but I am not even sure what I would try to tell them. Otherwise I think my option is to try some rep. roulette until I find someone competent.

Anyone with any input on this?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:59 am

Gonna quote myself here and try to follow-up and see if anyone can provide any more guidance for me. My points still have not posted. I tried to call Citi and the rep told me points take 60-90 days from the close of first statement to begin posting to accounts. Obviously I know this is not true (I'm talking about spend points not the 50k bonus - I didn't hit he $1k spend in the first month). I tried to verify Hilton account number and he told me he did not have that information and told me to call Hilton. Basically he did not want to do anything to help me because he was convinced that it takes 60-90 days for points to begin posting. Has anyone else gotten this run around? I am going to try to call Hilton, but I am not even sure what I would try to tell them. Otherwise I think my option is to try some rep. roulette until I find someone competent.

Anyone with any input on this?
I would hang up and call again but this time just ask for the Hilton number and then follow up with Hilton.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 4:45 pm

OK, well after 3 calls to Citi and 2 calls to Hilton they claim to have the situation figured out. Citi did indeed create a second account - despite the fact that I added the Hilton account on my App. They then had a tremendously difficult time understanding what was wrong, how to fix it, etc. They claim I should have the points for the month by Monday - we'll see if that happens.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: BA, LM // HH, CP
50,000 Citi Hilton HHonors Visa

11/2/12 applied and accepted
Points just posted
too bad Hilton isn't looking so good since the day I applied =\\\
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by imslippy
11/2/12 applied and accepted
Points just posted
too bad Hilton isn't looking so good since the day I applied =\\\

Get another card ( and the bonus) and another card and.................You can easily make up the devaluation as long as they let this run
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:18 am

So it has now been 8 days since my statement cut and I still have not received the points from my first statement. Every time I call Citi they tell me the wrong account number, I tell them to change it, they tell me they will, but that it doesn't matter because the accounts have been merged. I then call Hilton and Hilton says the account Citi has has been closed and no deposits to that account will post to my account (the exact opposite of what Citi says). The more frustrating thing to me is that I was told on Friday that the account would be updated at Citi by Monday, and it is now Wednesday and still no luck. Even more aggravating is that the Citi representative tried to tell me that since my statement closed with a $0 balance (because I had already paid it down to 0) I would receive no points because they "go by statement date" to determine points earned. I had to explain to her that I made a payment before the statement closed, and if she actually looks at the statement she will see that I did, in fact, earn points.

Is Citi always this incompetent? I've not had any Citi cards before so I'm having a hard time figuring out if this is normal. This is my 4th call to them and 2nd call to Hilton and still no resolution.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:07 pm

Hi I just read over the last 20 or so pages and just wanted to confirm that you can get this card every 65 days. A while back a few people posted saying they were told by Citi reps it was now 91 days. Also what would be a plan of attack (in terms of spacing out apps) for getting an AA personal card, AA business card, and this Hilton card? I applied for the Hilton card in early February.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So it has now been 8 days since my statement cut and I still have not received the points from my first statement. Every time I call Citi they tell me the wrong account number, I tell them to change it, they tell me they will, but that it doesn't matter because the accounts have been merged. I then call Hilton and Hilton says the account Citi has has been closed and no deposits to that account will post to my account (the exact opposite of what Citi says). The more frustrating thing to me is that I was told on Friday that the account would be updated at Citi by Monday, and it is now Wednesday and still no luck. Even more aggravating is that the Citi representative tried to tell me that since my statement closed with a $0 balance (because I had already paid it down to 0) I would receive no points because they "go by statement date" to determine points earned. I had to explain to her that I made a payment before the statement closed, and if she actually looks at the statement she will see that I did, in fact, earn points.

Is Citi always this incompetent? I've not had any Citi cards before so I'm having a hard time figuring out if this is normal. This is my 4th call to them and 2nd call to Hilton and still no resolution.
Something similar (but not every detail the same) happened to me a couple years ago (it's far back in this thread somewhere!) and it took me several calls to both over weeks if not a month or two to finally get it straightened out.

If your statement already posted, then see if you can have HHonors look up your accounts by name rather than by number. Fixing the number at Citi will do nothing for points that were already posted; it will only help if you keep spending on the card and earning new points.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA 1mil SPG Gold and a variety of others
I'm hoping with the devaluation they will up their offer for bonuses.... One can wish, can't I?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA GS, AA EXP
Originally Posted by bazers
I'm hoping with the devaluation they will up their offer for bonuses.... One can wish, can't I?
sure you can
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by bazers
Make the bonus larger yourself, churn more cards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.