Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by User Name
Closed two last week. Instantly approved for another two today. And the circle of life continues...
Congrats!

If you do not mind sharing notes: How long did you hold the two HH cards that you just CANX? And how many other new CC's accounts have you opened this year?

I have yet to be turned down for a Citi personal card, but cannot remember the last time that I was instantly approved for one either. I have 3 open Citi cards now including 2 new ones from this year (HH & TYR). I have 12 new apps in the last year for various other cards. The last two cards I applied for (Barclycard NFL and Chase Freedom) I had to call after applying (got the dreaded (norm for me) more processing required when applying). When speaking to the CSR's I was questioned as to why I opened so many new accounts this year.

My plan is to give it a break applying for cards for awhile since I am getting flagged all the time now when applying. I do not want to get blacklisted by any of the major issuers. It would be insightful for me to understand the app history of folks such as yourself who get approved automatically for recent churned cards.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by isle-hawg
Congrats!

If you do not mind sharing notes: How long did you hold the two HH cards that you just CANX? And how many other new CC's accounts have you opened this year?
I opened the two previous Citi cards in Dec 2011 and Apr 2012.

Prior to this latest round of apps, I have opened 8 cards this year:

Chase United, INK Bold, BOA Virgin and Barclays US Airways (in April)
AMEX MB Platinum and Chase Southwest (July)
AMEX SPG personal (Aug)
AMEX Delta (Sep)
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Nice haul in cards miles/points, I appreciate the info.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by duranza
We prefer staying in condos but the rest is being taken care of with points & miles too.
If you're not interested in accumulating Hilton HHonors points, you're in the wrong thread. This thread is about a particular card which (in its signup bonus) quickly accumulates Hilton HHonors points (which are not of much value if transferred anywhere else, and thus are only of value if you need Hilton HHonors hotel stays).

The best value of Hilton HHonors points in my experience is when you can find good cash + points rates (which use a lot less points than an outright points stay yet need a very reasonable amount of cash usually). I find these especially useful overseas.

Other than that, it's the occasional Hampton in the middle of the country which has high cash rates and yet is at a low redemption rate.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by sdsearch
If you're not interested in accumulating Hilton HHonors points, you're in the wrong thread. This thread is about a particular card which (in its signup bonus) quickly accumulates Hilton HHonors points (which are not of much value if transferred anywhere else, and thus are only of value if you need Hilton HHonors hotel stays).

The best value of Hilton HHonors points in my experience is when you can find good cash + points rates (which use a lot less points than an outright points stay yet need a very reasonable amount of cash usually). I find these especially useful overseas.

Other than that, it's the occasional Hampton in the middle of the country which has high cash rates and yet is at a low redemption rate.
Yep.. I used up already the sign up bonus points and just recently finished up whatever points I had with $50 cash for a Seattle/airport stay...

Last edited by duranza; Oct 30, 2012 at 9:26 pm
Old Oct 31, 2012, 5:14 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by sdsearch

Well... I'd say our week at Waldorf Astoria Park City at 45k per night with cash rates of $800 a night and then week at Conrad Maldives at 37.5k a night vs cash rates of $1200 a night beats the odd country Hampton Inn
Old Oct 31, 2012, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Well... I'd say our week at Waldorf Astoria Park City at 45k per night with cash rates of $800 a night and then week at Conrad Maldives at 37.5k a night vs cash rates of $1200 a night beats the odd country Hampton Inn
It only beats it if you have an interest in staying in those locations / at these properties. I don't. My vacations domestically tend to be more often near National Parks (where I'm lucky to find a Hampton or HGI, maybe only a Best Western or Quality Inn at some).

Also, the exact redemption rates you mention only work if you want to stay there a full week. Not everyone wants to stay a full week everywhere they go.

At any rate, the general point is, you have to know where to look for value in Hilton HHonors. It doesn't just pop out magically at any property you try to book for any amount of time. But which ways to look for value depends on what you're interested in.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by alben
You really need to read this particular forum more closely.

My family and I are taking a 9 day / 8 night vacation in March to Hawaii.
I just booked 4 nights at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort in Oahu with 145K points and 4 nights at Hilton Waikoloa Village on Big Island with 145K points. I earned the required 290K points entirely within the last 18 months, and have points left over.
Did it all with a Citi Hilton (no annual fee), Amex Hilton - (no annual fee), BOA Virgin Atlantic ($90 annual fee), BOA Hawaiian Airlines ($79 annual fee), BOH Hawaiian Airlines ($79 annual fee). I did it with just 5 cards. The $248 I paid in annual fees was so worth it.

My income is modest. So if I can do it, anyone can.
OH I see HA cc is for miles but you transfered them to Hilton Honors? I have the Amex Hilton but need to wait till next year to do more spending with Citi Hilton and probably get one of the Hawaiian airlines one. thanks

Last edited by duranza; Nov 1, 2012 at 9:14 am
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:47 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by duranza
OH I see HH cc is for miles but you transfered them to Hilton Honors? I have the Amex Hilton but need to wait till next year to do more spending with Citi Hilton and probably get one of the Hawaiian airlines one. thanks
Yes, the Virgin Atlantic 55K miles were converted to 110K Hhonors points. And the BoH and BoA Hawiian airlines miles (35K each, 70K total) were converted to a total of 140K Hhonors points.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
I just applied for 2 Citi Hilton cards using link in Post 141...instant approval for both. Will check on what I have to spend for the points when the card arrives.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 1:20 pm

There's a lot of word that Citi is the most aggressive in charging cash card/reload purchases as cash advances. I've read that if you buy AMEX gc via their website, it's billed as a cash advance. Has there been any evidence of gc purchases (V or MC or AMEX, for that matter) at brick-and-mortar facilities (supermarkets, office supplies, Target, etc.) being charged as cash advances? I need to meet my minimum spend, and I really don't think this card has good rewards at all. I'd like to reload a Target/AMEX, for example.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
No.

If you purchase in store, the merchant name shows up as that store. If you purchase online, the merchant name usually is the name of a financial institution, which is what tells Citi to convert the purchase into a cash advance.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
With Citi, sometimes it's possible. Sometimes it's not.

However one thing that seems to be fairly consistent: if you are at or near your overall credit limit with Citi and you cancel a card, that extra credit limit does not immediately go back into the "pool" of available credit... maybe not for a few months...
I closed my Citi AA Visa and Citi AA Amex on October 4 & 16, respectively. Each had $12.5k credit limits. They wouldn't offer anything for keeping them open.

Today, I applied for 2 Citi HHonors Visa and received $15k limits on each. Not sure how that happened, but I'll take it.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by y2chen
No.

If you purchase in store, the merchant name shows up as that store. If you purchase online, the merchant name usually is the name of a financial institution, which is what tells Citi to convert the purchase into a cash advance.
+1. GC purchases from gas stations, supermarkets, etc show up as regular purchases.

Just remember not to use Citi for Amex Gift Cards and/or any type of funding for financial institutions (e.g. brokerage accounts, initial bank funding, etc.)
Old Nov 6, 2012, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
With Citi, sometimes it's possible. Sometimes it's not.

However one thing that seems to be fairly consistent: if you are at or near your overall credit limit with Citi and you cancel a card, that extra credit limit does not immediately go back into the "pool" of available credit... maybe not for a few months...
Evidently, that was the way it worked for me. I proactively closed a Citi card in late Sept., and when I applied for this card last week was given only half the credit line of the one I closed. I have 2 Citi AA cards, opened in July, and have opened 3 other cards this year with a bank that actually pulls from a different bureau than Citi.

Live and learn the hard way, or read FT more carefully is the lesson I learned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.