Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:25 pm
fet

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, UA, AS, DL, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Golds or diamonds do not get free breakfast at Waldorf Astoria properties
Not necessarily true. It depends on each individual property especially for diamonds.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by stupidzbu
depends on your credit score .... you may want to consolidate the credit lines and cancel one .. then if they reject you for the HH cards, you can always ask to get some credit line from your AA card to approve the app
The rep I spoke to the other said this wasn't possible. Was she misinformed?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:53 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
With Citi, sometimes it's possible. Sometimes it's not.

However one thing that seems to be fairly consistent: if you are at or near your overall credit limit with Citi and you cancel a card, that extra credit limit does not immediately go back into the "pool" of available credit... maybe not for a few months...
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by particlemn
no but if you book through the chase luxury hotel collection using the chase sapphire prefered card you go get free breakfasts plus a better rate and you still earn hilton points for th stay
Er ok but now the room ain't free

It's either cake or eat it not both
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:57 am

Yeah, she probably was. I was offerred my first xfer with citi this week. I had debated closing 2 existing Hiltons for my 2AA apps and took advise from here and left them open.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Unlike Chase, I have not ever been able to move around credit lines between cards with Citi. I have asked when closing accounts to move the credit line or part of it to another card, without a hard pull and I too was told this was not possible each time I asked.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Talking

Closed two last week. Instantly approved for another two today. And the circle of life continues...
Old Oct 28, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
I am on the fence on upgrading my HH card. have had one for a few years now and I just don't see the usefulness of this card unless I stay at cheap or out of the way hotels.. I had around 12,000 pts and used them plus $50 cash for an airport hotel in Seattle. But I don't even see how to use it in my upcoming Florida keys nor Hawaii trip for 2014...Can someone tell me how I can use the pts.. to my benefit.. ( miles preferably or perhaps car rental while in Hawaii?)

Last edited by duranza; Oct 28, 2012 at 5:13 pm
Old Oct 28, 2012, 6:50 pm

I applied for the cards, and was approved for both immediately. I just need to wait for the cards to confirm the offer details. These are my first Citi Hilton cards.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by duranza
I am on the fence on upgrading my HH card. have had one for a few years now and I just don't see the usefulness of this card unless I stay at cheap or out of the way hotels.. I had around 12,000 pts and used them plus $50 cash for an airport hotel in Seattle. But I don't even see how to use it in my upcoming Florida keys nor Hawaii trip for 2014...Can someone tell me how I can use the pts.. to my benefit.. ( miles preferably or perhaps car rental while in Hawaii?)
I'm confused. Haven't you read enough of this thread to understand that the whole deal is taking two of these cards every three or four months and piling up 100K at a time? Sure, if you're trying to earn HHonors points through stays and non-bonus credit card spend, you might spend the rest of your life piling up enough points for a week in Hawaii.

But, if you're taking this card twice at a time (check this post (applicable to Hilton cards although developed in relation to the AA cards) and then churning it every three months or so plus taking an Amex Hilton card (to get access to AXON as well as GLON awards--see this post for an explanation of those two awards) plus getting Gold status (some say take the Citi Hilton Reserve card--I say check for occasional status challenges that may require nothing more than 4 stays in 90 days--look here--or some other promotion because Hilton has been giving out Gold status like candy in the last year or so), then you can pile up more than enough HHonors points to get you most anywhere you want to go plus get free internet and free breakfasts as well as the occasional decent upgrade.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:31 pm

I have applied & approved/received 4 cards since Sept.( Priority, Chase PS, Choice Hotels, Marriott) husband got the United Air approved ( not yet received) all of these will get us to SFO ,3 nites stay then to Hawaii and back home. ( staying at a condo) & B&B in Big Island
I already have the HH Amex and when I login I see the upgrade for $75 but can hardly use it for a hotel ..need 60k mostly and up... unless it's by an airport.
I was looking to upgrade the HH but I don't see it as valuable for miles not even car rentals as I have been reading quite a bit on this thread and the forum in general and I would have to be frequently at Hilton hotels http://thepointsguy.com/2012/10/hilt...-enhancements/
Those of you that churn so successfully every 3-4 mos must have a very high income , which is not the case for this retiree.
So with that in mind... I guess I will have to wait a few mos before I can apply for any more cards.

Last edited by duranza; Oct 28, 2012 at 10:43 pm
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:14 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum
I have applied & approved/received 4 cards since Sept.( Priority, Chase PS, Choice Hotels, Marriott) husband got the United Air approved ( not yet received) all of these will get us to SFO ,3 nites stay then to Hawaii and back home. ( staying at a condo) & B&B in Big Island
I already have the HH Amex and when I login I see the upgrade for $75 but can hardly use it for a hotel ..need 60k mostly and up... unless it's by an airport.
I was looking to upgrade the HH but I don't see it as valuable for miles not even car rentals as I have been reading quite a bit on this thread and the forum in general and I would have to be frequently at Hilton hotels http://thepointsguy.com/2012/10/hilt...-enhancements/
Those of you that churn so successfully every 3-4 mos must have a very high income , which is not the case for this retiree.
So with that in mind... I guess I will have to wait a few mos before I can apply for any more cards.
You really need to read this particular forum more closely.

My family and I are taking a 9 day / 8 night vacation in March to Hawaii.
I just booked 4 nights at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort in Oahu with 145K points and 4 nights at Hilton Waikoloa Village on Big Island with 145K points. I earned the required 290K points entirely within the last 18 months, and have points left over.

Did it all with a Citi Hilton (no annual fee), Amex Hilton (no annual fee), BOA Virgin Atlantic ($90 annual fee), BOA Hawaiian Airlines ($79 annual fee), BOH Hawaiian Airlines ($79 annual fee). I did it with just 5 cards. The $248 I paid in annual fees was so worth it.

My income is modest. So if I can do it, anyone can.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:57 am

First, you are talking about the AmEx HH card, this thread is about the Citi HH card. They are different cards issued by different issuers with different rules and advantages.

Second, these are hotel points. They are good for staying at hotels. Hotel points, in general, are not worth that much for renting cars and taking flights. If you want a card that is good for flights and rental cars, get an airline card or a general card that earns Ultimate Reward or Membership Reward points.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
First, you are talking about the AmEx HH card, this thread is about the Citi HH card. They are different cards issued by different issuers with different rules and advantages.

Second, these are hotel points. They are good for staying at hotels. Hotel points, in general, are not worth that much for renting cars and taking flights. If you want a card that is good for flights and rental cars, get an airline card or a general card that earns Ultimate Reward or Membership Reward points.
Got those.. thanks..
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by alben
You really need to read this particular forum more closely. Will do!
My family and I are taking a 9 day / 8 night vacation in March to Hawaii.
I just booked 4 nights at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort in Oahu with 145K points and 4 nights at Hilton Waikoloa Village on Big Island with 145K points. I earned the required 290K points entirely within the last 18 months, and have points left over.

Did it all with a Citi Hilton (no annual fee), Amex Hilton (no annual fee), BOA Virgin Atlantic ($90 annual fee), BOA Hawaiian Airlines ($79 annual fee), BOH Hawaiian Airlines ($79 annual fee). I did it with just 5 cards. The $248 I paid in annual fees was so worth it.

My income is modest. So if I can do it, anyone can.
That is fantastic what you have accomplished!
We prefer staying in condos but the rest is being taken care of with points & miles too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.