Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:09 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
thinking about applying for the 50k card(with 1500 spending in 6 months) soon..any good suggestions? I assume I will be using the link on #468
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lkar
Nope.

The way I figure it, there could be a few things happening here:

1) Somehow I slipped through the cracks. Maybe the credit analyst that I was transferred to when I called in to check my application status decided to make an exception.

2) Only one of my AA applications went through. Seems unlikely, because I got two letters, but possible that it only tracked it internally at citi as one application.

3) Somehow, if you wait until the credit agency combines the two pulls (Expirian in my case), citi might only see it as one application.

4) Something else.

Obviously, 3 would be the most promising for the FT community, but I really can't be sure.
I will go with 3) also - and enough time has passed from that. (X+48) As immediate 3rd application was a quick denial. I know mine was as the rep at the status line actually semi-jokingly asked me whether I had good memory because I applied the same card 3 times... though she added surprised to see not only the 1st app was approved but the 2nd app also... (and suggested to me she would put in a duplication on the 2nd one!!! So DONT call is a better policy to avoid any possible SNAFU.)

We need another trailblazer on the assumption of 3).
Old Sep 24, 2012, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You can NOT do more than 2 card applications with Citi regardless ANY card, within a 60 days period. Citi's system would auto-reject you on the 3rd application in the same 60 days period. Any card has the EXACT dictionary meaning - ANY - whether it is personal or business, AA or HHonor or TYP or whatever have you. Maximum any 2 card applications are allowed within the 60/65 days period.

The extra 5 days padding is to make sure Citi's crazy system does not count the wrong days which happens too many times in the past that is why such collective wisdom of 65 days. After all, it makes very little difference on the few days extra because the minimum you need to separate your apps would be 62 days anyway in case you dont get caught by a nasty surprise of denial.

Remember, the clock of 60/65 days starts ALL OVER AGAIN from the last application(s), successful or otherwise - so you dont want to waste your applications! So if you jump the gun to apply too close to the time range and got denied, you would need to wait ANOTHER 60/65 days to not be auto-rejected by the system. Then with this in mind, what is the big deal of waiting an extra 5 days and take 65 instead of 60 as the calculation?

There is a very good write up by sdsearch in the long AA thread on the Citi card application rules. find that, read / understand it, would ensure you not to waste your pulls and such - Citi has a completely different rules than Chase. Actually each bank has its own rules and you just have to observe them accordingly in order to get the highest probability rates on your applications.

To those who keep saying the 2 allowed every 60/65 days is just observation, not rule, I can attest it as of 3 weeks ago, the observation still holds true. Read my write up on my experiment upthread - the 3rd app was auto-denied, letter cited Declined due to Multiple Applications received - it simply could not even passed the system screening.
I would appreciate getting the link for sdsearch write up in the long Citi card app rules. I have tried to look up Citi cards app in search and it doesn't bring it up. I don't mind looking it up by I don't know under what thread it would be.

I'd appreciate any help.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
Update

Originally Posted by express3
Just applied using link#1 & link#2 in post 468. 2-browser method and instant approval on both and both of them had the same credit line, no other info was given.

Used Chrome first, using the 1st link (success) and then immediately tried with IE, but an error would come using the links with IE. So I had to jump on another computer and do it there. I did the 2nd app using Chrome also, but a different computer, used the second link, and both applications were spaced out about 20 minutes.
I just hope they dont consider it a duplicate app b/c both have the same CL.

Hopefully I'll have 2 cards in the mail soon!

Received both cards and verified the 50k on both cards
Now to meet the spend and get my points...(still working on the $5k from the SPG Amex)
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:09 pm

We need another trailblazer on the assumption of 3).
We'll see how my AA Personal apps go in two weeks. It will be just shy of the 18 month mark since getting the 2 X 75K in April '11. They gave me a bit of a hassle about the two HHonors cards at once in July, so they may just not like me. But if I get the first-time only message I'll try two HHonors cards at once and see how that goes. Actually, I'll probably have my wife do the AA first as they seem to like her more and she has not done HH in about 6 months.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
We'll see how my AA Personal apps go in two weeks. It will be just shy of the 18 month mark since getting the 2 X 75K in April '11. They gave me a bit of a hassle about the two HHonors cards at once in July, so they may just not like me. But if I get the first-time only message I'll try two HHonors cards at once and see how that goes. Actually, I'll probably have my wife do the AA first as they seem to like her more and she has not done HH in about 6 months.
Remember the X-YY days factor or it may not be a factor but must be AFTER the inquiries combined to 1 before attempted the 3rd.

Let us know the experiment.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:21 pm

Remember the X-YY days factor or it may not be a factor but must be AFTER the inquiries combined to 1 before attempted the 3rd.

And no sense doing 2 Hhonors cards as part of the experiment if the single combined inquiry is still within the past 60 days.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by felicity5
I would appreciate getting the link for sdsearch write up in the long Citi card app rules. I have tried to look up Citi cards app in search and it doesn't bring it up. I don't mind looking it up by I don't know under what thread it would be.

I'd appreciate any help.
Search for sdsearch. You should be able to find his posts there
Old Sep 25, 2012, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
Search for sdsearch. You should be able to find his posts there
Yes, but that results in:
Showing results 1 to 25 of 117
and thus you have to wade through 117 of my posts to find the right one!

I'm not even sure how to find it more quickly, and I wrote it. But I don't remember when nor do I remember how it started out, and the quick view on a search, without clicking through, only shows the date and the first sentence or so.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 3:21 pm

So the plan is:

1. Applied for 1 AA Visa and 1 AA AmEx on 4/XX/2011, instant approval.
2. Applied for 1 AA Biz card on 7/YY/2012, approved.
3. Apply for 1 AA Visa and 1 AA AmEx on 10/YY/2012 back-to-back.
4. If denied for "First Time" I'll check on the pulls and once merged Apply for 2X HHonors cards (last two 6 months earlier).

Originally Posted by saacman5033
And no sense doing 2 Hhonors cards as part of the experiment if the single combined inquiry is still within the past 60 days.
Can't hurt, right? Those inquiries will almost certainly merge as well and it will be interesting to see what happens. If one is successful and the other isn't we know something, if both are successful, we know something else.

Ike
Old Sep 25, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
DELETED

Last edited by PETERPNYC; Sep 25, 2012 at 5:04 pm
Old Sep 25, 2012, 5:34 pm

What is the highest number of HHonors Visas any of you have had open at one time?

I'm wondering if I should close out all existing cards before re-applying. I know there is mixed wisdom on this (in regard to available credit and what not). It would be good to hear reports of people with 3, 4, 5, 6, etc., HHonors cards open simultaneously.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
So the plan is:

1. Applied for 1 AA Visa and 1 AA AmEx on 4/XX/2011, instant approval.
2. Applied for 1 AA Biz card on 7/YY/2012, approved.
3. Apply for 1 AA Visa and 1 AA AmEx on 10/YY/2012 back-to-back.
4. If denied for "First Time" I'll check on the pulls and once merged Apply for 2X HHonors cards (last two 6 months earlier).

Can't hurt, right? Those inquiries will almost certainly merge as well and it will be interesting to see what happens. If one is successful and the other isn't we know something, if both are successful, we know something else.

Ike
Make perfect sense to me.

Even if the pair of AA is approved, you could still wait till the inquiries merged, and days passed, then try for 1 HHonor - can't be 2 because it would mean 3 app in total at the time of applying a pair of HHonor thus one would get rejected anyway. But 1 pair of successful AA does not preclude an additional HHonor.

Just remember HHonor does not merge with AA in terms of inquiry. AA and TYP in one family, HH in another.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
So, I was never a heavy churner of the AA cards, but I've had 4 total (2 still open) and I only have 1 HHonors card and I'm just wondering if I could get some opinions on what I'm able to do at this point...

I have 2 AA cards opened last September that are still open. I'm going to call and cancel them this week because the annual fees are due. These were my last Citi apps of any kind.

HHonors card that I've had open for over a year.

So, from what I've read in this thread, I should theoretically be able to apply for 2 new 50k HHonors cards using the 2 browser trick even though I already have one open, right?

Or possibly use the two browser trick to apply for 2 50k Citi Premier (one Visa & 1 MC) and then a 50k HHonors?

Is that correct?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
So, from what I've read in this thread, I should theoretically be able to apply for 2 new 50k HHonors cards using the 2 browser trick even though I already have one open, right?
Yeah, that should be fine. I had one open from earlier this year and did the 2 browser trick in August and I received both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.