Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2012, 9:18 pm

You could almost certainly do any of the following:

1. Get two HHonors 50K cards without closing the existing one (my wife and I both have 3 open currently).
2. Get a 50K AA Business card.
3. Get 2 50k Citi Premier (one Visa & one MC) - Not so sure about this as I have never applied for one or read the thread(s) about them.

There is a lower likelihood that you could:
4. Get two AA 50K personal cards (1 AmEx/1 Visa). Twelve months is a little unusual but not unheard of.

I would personally wait on closing the AA cards until after the churn as the CL may prove useful. Call the reconsideration number and see if they offer a statement credit. You can always cancel later anyway.

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
So, I was never a heavy churner of the AA cards, but I've had 4 total (2 still open) and I only have 1 HHonors card and I'm just wondering if I could get some opinions on what I'm able to do at this point...

I have 2 AA cards opened last September that are still open. I'm going to call and cancel them this week because the annual fees are due. These were my last Citi apps of any kind.

HHonors card that I've had open for over a year.

So, from what I've read in this thread, I should theoretically be able to apply for 2 new 50k HHonors cards using the 2 browser trick even though I already have one open, right?

Or possibly use the two browser trick to apply for 2 50k Citi Premier (one Visa & 1 MC) and then a 50k HHonors?

Is that correct?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:11 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Ok, one more quick question then...

Is everybody using the links from Post #468 (does it matter which of the 3?) still or are there others between then and now that I should be using? I see that the link in the first post hasn't been updated since 2011.

Thank
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:16 am
Suspended

Is everybody using the links from Post #468 (does it matter which of the 3?) still or are there others between then and now that I should be using? I see that the link in the first post hasn't been updated since 2011.

Thank
As a general FYI - with Citi, if you get the aplication, you'll get the card & bonus. I didn't look to see if the links work or not but that rule of thumb has held true for all the various AA apps and would (I imagine) for all other Citi apps. I've yet to hear of anyone with experience to the contrary.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by IkeEsq
We'll see how my AA Personal apps go in two weeks. It will be just shy of the 18 month mark since getting the 2 X 75K in April '11. They gave me a bit of a hassle about the two HHonors cards at once in July, so they may just not like me. But if I get the first-time only message I'll try two HHonors cards at once and see how that goes. Actually, I'll probably have my wife do the AA first as they seem to like her more and she has not done HH in about 6 months.
mrs particlemn applied yesterday for the two AA cards, last application was 2-28-11, and both applications only got to step 3.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium

Thank
It would be helpful if, when referring to post #468 it was noted that it's on p. 32 of this thread. Like post #468, p. 32.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
That doesn't work for everybody. I have my settings to show more posts per page than the default. I only have 22 total pages in this thread. So, your reference to page 32 means nothing to me.

Not trying to sound like a jerk, just saying that's why I don't (and don't like it when others) reference page numbers.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:58 am

I recently closed an AA card that was opened 9/10 (my 2nd card). After closing I got into some catching up on flyertalk. DH hasn't had an AA card since closing his last one sometime shortly after 5/09. He's only had 2 of AA cards.

Our last HH card was opened 12/05 and we still have it.

Found the current double browser "trick" talk and am wondering why it has to be a "trick". Since Citi is obviously letting this happen, why do you have to "trick" the system?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by gardengirl
It would be helpful if, when referring to post #468 it was noted that it's on p. 32 of this thread. Like post #468, p. 32.
The problem with trying to identify pages is that depending on the options each user selects about views, what is on page 32 for you may be on page 25 for me. Referring to the post number does not depend on the viewing options each person selects.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:14 am

That doesn't work for everybody. I have my settings to show more posts per page than the default. I only have 22 total pages in this thread. So, your reference to page 32 means nothing to me.

Not trying to sound like a jerk, just saying that's why I don't (and don't like it when others) reference page numbers.
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
The problem with trying to identify pages is that depending on the options each user selects about views, what is on page 32 for you may be on page 25 for me. Referring to the post number does not depend on the viewing options each person selects.
My bad. Didn't know that. I have 59 pages in this thread.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I recently closed an AA card that was opened 9/10 (my 2nd card). After closing I got into some catching up on flyertalk. DH hasn't had an AA card since closing his last one sometime shortly after 5/09. He's only had 2 of AA cards.

Our last HH card was opened 12/05 and we still have it.

Found the current double browser "trick" talk and am wondering why it has to be a "trick". Since Citi is obviously letting this happen, why do you have to "trick" the system?
The term is a convenient shorthand way of referring to the technique necessary to apply for two Citi cards at one time, originally applied to the Citi AA cards where there was language regarding the offer being available only for a "first-time" holder of the card. With the AA cards, if you apply for a card today and one tomorrow, the one tomorrow will almost certainly be denied because you will not be a "first-timer" and will result in two pulls on your credit report; apply for both today, virtually simultaneously, and the Citi systems do not "see" the parallel applications, with each application being treated as a "first-time" application and resulting in only one credit pull from Citi.

This technique is not strictly applicable to the Hilton cards in the sense that the T&Cs are not as restrictive as the AA cards and apply the bonus to holders of "new" cards rather than "first-time" holders. The technique is applied to the Hilton cards for two reasons: first, as with the AA cards, you get one credit pull for making two applications; second, since Citi has rules (standards, procedures, whatever you want to call it) limiting applications for any of their cards to no more than two personal cards in approximately 65 days, you start the time clock for later applications for personal cards on the date you make both applications, rather than on the date of your second application.

Of course, you could also ask why it is possible to get later versions of the AA cards that clearly state "first-time" holders only; again, Citi has a rule (standard, definition, procedure, whatever you want to call it) that seems to restore "first-time" status to an applicant approximately 18-24 months (and it's beginning to look more like 24 than 18 for many folks) after the last application for that particular card.

Anyone looking to apply for multiple Citi cards, whether AA, Hilton, or any other type, should look carefully at this post. Although we have no confirmation from Citi of the exact parameters of their requirements, this post has the accumulated wisdom and experience of a number of posters over many months of time that offers our best guess at their requirements, consolidated into one very useful post.

Please keep in mind that the principles set forth in that post, in this thread, and the current thread on the Citi AA cards are applicable only to Citi. The "two browser" trick does not generally apply to applications for American Express, Chase, Barclays, US Bank, Bank of America, or other institutions.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:31 am

Thank you lwildernorva for the time it took to write your helpful post. I appreciate it.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I have 59 pages in this thread.
  • In the upper right find the box which says "Page 1 of 59"
  • Hover on (point but do not click) one of the adjacent array of page numbers
  • The range of posts on that page will be displayed
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by particlemn
mrs particlemn applied yesterday for the two AA cards, last application was 2-28-11, and both applications only got to step 3.
Are you certain it stopped at page 3 . IIRC my 2 apps stopped at page 3 and somewhere on the age there was a request for additional info before I could proceed that I had not seen .

When I callled Citi recon the CSR pointed this out . did everyone who got stuck on page 3 scroll down to the very bottom of the page and examine the app
Thoroughly before deciding it was stuck ?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
No additional information request that either of us saw on either page 3.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
This technique is not strictly applicable to the Hilton cards in the sense that the T&Cs are not as restrictive as the AA cards and apply the bonus to holders of "new" cards rather than "first-time" holders. The technique is applied to the Hilton cards for two reasons: first, as with the AA cards, you get one credit pull for making two applications; second, since Citi has rules (standards, procedures, whatever you want to call it) limiting applications for any of their cards to no more than two personal cards in approximately 65 days, you start the time clock for later applications for personal cards on the date you make both applications, rather than on the date of your second application.
I went to the link in your post. It says the same as you do in your post:

"1. There are two different application timeframes that are important in this offer. Citi only allows 2 applications for ANY Citi card within a 60 day timeframe. Citi only allows 1 application for a business card every 90 days. So if you apply for a Sears card and an AA Visa, you have to wait 60+ days before applying for the business card. If you applied and were denied for just a business card, you have to wait 90+ days before trying again."

Since all of our Citi cards were applied for 9/10 or earlier it would seem each of us could put in 2 applications each without using the 2 browser trick. Like 2 HH's for me and 2 AA's for DH. However, the benefit of the 2 browser thing makes for less credit pulls.

DH was just approved for new Delta card. How will that impact Citi card approvals?

I'm also looking at new spg (all applications prior to 10/09) and Chase Sapphire (no previous card) and don't want to mess up getting those by applying for too many Citi cards. Can someone help with potential spacing? I've been recently told that churners look at a quarterly application spacing. Does that mean quarterly for each spouse? Each card (i.e., bank)?

Then there's the recent threads that discuss the problems with spouse applications and the new "community property" law. I have a net worth but no income (even though I do a pretty good job as Support Staff).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.