Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Old Feb 10, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Did you already have this card or was it your first time getting it ?

I signed up under the 40K offer and SM'd Citi about getting the 50K offer. From the sound of thier reply I will be lucky to even get the 40K points as I already had a HH visa that was open. I replied back asking if I will still get the 40K offer I applied under, we'll see what they say

"We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. We received your request to apply the new account offer to your existing account. Our solicitations are used as a way to encourage new business or to offer an additional account to our customers. Therefore, we are unable to apply the incentives mentioned in your solicitation to your existing account. "

I read this differently. You will get the 40k offer. The 'existing account' that they are referring to is the 40k offer. They are telling you that you can't change bonuses after the account has already been opened. Since the 40k account already exists, it is an existing account. If you want the 50k offer, you have to apply for a brand new account.

I doubt the Citi rep even looked at the other HH card you have open to send you that form letter response.

So don't worry about losing the 40k bonus. This has happened to several people both on the Citi AA and HH boards, and they always got their original offer.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 4:02 pm

Been reading this thread for the past few weeks and was a little concerned by some reports of not being able to get the Reserve and Signature bonuses in the same AoR.

Does there seem to be any consensus on whether or not this is still safe to do? I've seen lots of approvals in the last few pages, but there were also a few reports of being told after instant approval that they would only get one bonus and a handful of rejection reports as well. I'm planning my first AoR and was hoping to grab both.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by Jophiel
Been reading this thread for the past few weeks and was a little concerned by some reports of not being able to get the Reserve and Signature bonuses in the same AoR.

Does there seem to be any consensus on whether or not this is still safe to do? I've seen lots of approvals in the last few pages, but there were also a few reports of being told after instant approval that they would only get one bonus and a handful of rejection reports as well. I'm planning my first AoR and was hoping to grab both.
I don't think it has been fully established yet. There are no guarantees. Although, from what I can tell, most people have been able to get one Reserve and one Signature at the same time.

It is still YMMV.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie
I don't think it has been fully established yet. There are no guarantees. Although, from what I can tell, most people have been able to get one Reserve and one Signature at the same time.

It is still YMMV.
I wasn't able to get both unfortunately.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:21 pm

What is the best way to use the citi hilton to maximize pts!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by hqly2001
Spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on it?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by MarkMColo
Actually probably not.

Meet minimum spend, close the account. Get another one 90 days later, repeat. And repeat and repeat
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bobloblawslawblog
Just a follow up. I applied on 2/3 for a 50k HH and then a Reserve HH, around 70 days after being approved for two 50k AA offers.

I got a call-in request for the 50k, and called in immediately and was approved. The account rep said that Citi now flags any app if another account was opened in the last 90 days.

Then, I applied for the Reserve, and received another call-in. This was before multiple people reported calling in and being approved for both, so i decided to sit on the application for a few days and see if it slid under the radar.

However, on 2/8, having gotten the e-mail for the 50k and heard nothing on the Reserve, I called in again. I was told the app was declined because Citi's deal with Amex didn't allow them to approve both cards. So if people are going to go for both cards, I recommend maybe waiting 90 days, and perhaps calling in immediately.
Huh???

The 50k HH and the Reserve HH are both Visa cards. What in the world does Citi's deal with Amex have to do with that??? Citi doesn't issue the Amex HH card, Amex the bank does. Citi has deals with Amex on AA cards, but not on HH cards.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hqly2001
meet min spend put in drawer, get amex hh card and spend on it
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM

It is still YMMV.
I got both, which proves the YMMV comment. It is harder to qualify for the Reserve. I applied for Signature first, and had to call Citi when I got the "call us" e-mail on the Reserve.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MarkMColo
I don't think he was asking a question. I think it was a poorly formed statement? Now see, that was a question, see the question mark? :P
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:05 pm

I read this differently. You will get the 40k offer. The 'existing account' that they are referring to is the 40k offer. They are telling you that you can't change bonuses after the account has already been opened. Since the 40k account already exists, it is an existing account. If you want the 50k offer, you have to apply for a brand new account.

I doubt the Citi rep even looked at the other HH card you have open to send you that form letter response.

So don't worry about losing the 40k bonus. This has happened to several people both on the Citi AA and HH boards, and they always got their original offer.
Thanks, after I posted it I read it the same way as you did. Hopefully I get the points and next time I'll use the 50K link. As difficult as Chase can be they honor the most recent deal they have going even if you didn't sign up under it
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Huh???

The 50k HH and the Reserve HH are both Visa cards. What in the world does Citi's deal with Amex have to do with that??? Citi doesn't issue the Amex HH card, Amex the bank does. Citi has deals with Amex on AA cards, but not on HH cards.
Sorry, should read Citi's agreement with Hilton.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:54 am

So, is it true that we can longer apply using the 2 browser trick for 2 Citi HHonors Visa Signature personal cards?

Or is there a chance?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:29 am

Applied for the signature card last night, approved instantly.

Called this morning to ask about expediting the card - I was told they are not able to expedite cards. Is this true? Chase and Amex have always expedited cards, I'm just a little bit surprised that Citi would be behind in terms of customer service in this regard.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.