Current China Entry policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2022, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In addition to Hong Kong's low vaccination rate, it surely has a bigger fraction of its residents who are elderly and therefore at higher risk of death from a COVID-19 infection compared to Shenzhen.
UA_Flyer and ftrichard like this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 2:30 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In addition to Hong Kong's low vaccination rate, it surely has a bigger fraction of its residents who are elderly and therefore at higher risk of death from a COVID-19 infection compared to Shenzhen.
And from what I know, it's precisely these elderly HKers who haven't gotten vaccinated (I avoid making judgment by using the word "refuse").
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Following is my current assessment:
1. Any determined individual can score an RP; this won't cost more than $750
2. Even if you hate UA, book 857 (hopefully for $2k instead of $6k)
-there is a reason why XMN costs less

This drill honestly does cost $10k, even if 857 fares drop.

But, if you have the stomach for it, make it happen!
joesk likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
Ok since you’ve discussed this several times before I’ll take the bait. Assume someone is a US citizen currently outside China with no relatives in China and no job in China and no intention to work in China and has no existing visa and no existing residence permit. They only want to go there as a tourist and are willing to pay whatever fee is necessary including quarantine. Also assume this person is ridiculously stubborn as they are on FT.

How do they get a residence permit? You know an agent who can get a PU Letter for a job that doesn’t exist (and that this hypothetical person doesn’t even want to do, except for on paper)? And can shortcut the line in front of all the English teachers and other people applying for legitimate jobs?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 11:11 am

On a separate note there are signs that students might be let back in (only a very very very small handful of schools have been able to issue visas since March 2020, the rest of the students are doing online classes in their home countries at odd hours).

https://www.studyinternational.com/n...rean-students/

Some particularly motivated person mentioned above might gamble on a Fall 2022 school program to get in.
joesk likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I honestly think you’re dreaming if you think any “determined person” can get a RP for $750.
kb1992, uanj and gudugan like this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I honestly think you’re dreaming if you think any “determined person” can get a RP for $750.

Originally Posted by gudugan
Ok since you’ve discussed this several times before I’ll take the bait. Assume someone is a US citizen currently outside China with no relatives in China and no job in China and no intention to work in China and has no existing visa and no existing residence permit. They only want to go there as a tourist and are willing to pay whatever fee is necessary including quarantine. Also assume this person is ridiculously stubborn as they are on FT.

How do they get a residence permit? You know an agent who can get a PU Letter for a job that doesn’t exist (and that this hypothetical person doesn’t even want to do, except for on paper)? And can shortcut the line in front of all the English teachers and other people applying for legitimate jobs?
Once you are in China, maybe, maybe you can get RP for $750. I trust moondog as he is most resourceful.

My question is, how do you enter China as a US citizen? Even if you have family members in China, you are unlikely to get a visa.

Can you get a work visa without an actual job?

For the cost, the lowest RT fare SFO-PVG-SFO would be around $4K-5K. Yes, the drill will cost $10K if you stay in China for 3 months.
uanj likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 3:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
The "moondog-$750-special" is likely of somewhat dubious nature, that may work.....sort of.
Likely start your own company (probably in Shanghai), then get a Visa to visit and set-up said company?
YariGuy likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
The "moondog-$750-special" is likely of somewhat dubious nature, that may work.....sort of.
Likely start your own company (probably in Shanghai), then get a Visa to visit and set-up said company?
They aren’t handing these out anymore. People are setting up companies to stay now and getting visas valid for 3 months as the PSB wants to see profits before granting a year long visa.

$750 for a work permit based 1 year RP attained through an agent’s dodgy methods was possible pre 2020 for people already here. Now it is impossible and it will be impossible from this point forward. China is using Covid to strengthen its immigration policy as well.
YariGuy, kb1992, narvik and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
Can anyone confirm if Chinese nationals are allowed to take any direct flight they choose back to China? For example, a Chinese national could fly direct from one of the European spots, Thailand, USA, whatever as long as they can get to that said destination and take the appropriate testing for the days before the flight?
No they cannot. They need to prove residency in the country of departure just like everyone else.

However, note that some jurisdictions do allow non-residents to fly to China after a certain period of time has passed. For example, the Seoul Embassy will issue a green code to anyone who has stayed in Korea for over 30 days.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 12:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Originally Posted by tauphi
No they cannot. They need to prove residency in the country of departure just like everyone else.

However, note that some jurisdictions do allow non-residents to fly to China after a certain period of time has passed. For example, the Seoul Embassy will issue a green code to anyone who has stayed in Korea for over 30 days.
Then how are Chinese still going on international biz trips? I know they are because my girlfriend as well as several coworkers are doing so. I’m just not sure if they have options of where to fly back from, that was the point. If we tacked on a vacation.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 12:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gudugan

Thanks in advance.
It is pure fantasy. The moondog bot occasionally glitches back to 2010.
YariGuy and gudugan like this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
Then how are Chinese still going on international biz trips? I know they are because my girlfriend as well as several coworkers are doing so. I’m just not sure if they have options of where to fly back from, that was the point. If we tacked on a vacation.
The precise rules are determined by each individual diplomatic mission. In general, allowance is made for cases where the traveller directly flew from China and is then returning to China. If you have a specific destination in mind, the best course of action is to contact the embassy in that country and find out exactly what they will and will not allow.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 1:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tauphi
The precise rules are determined by each individual diplomatic mission. In general, allowance is made for cases where the traveller directly flew from China and is then returning to China. If you have a specific destination in mind, the best course of action is to contact the embassy in that country and find out exactly what they will and will not allow.
Shoot. Was hoping Chinese could now fly back home without the same concerns as foreigners.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 8:21 am

https://archive.fo/IdH0l FT: Illegal border crossings push Hong Kong Covid outbreak into China

At least four people with the virus crossed border and travelled on to other mainland cities
Some Chinese cities have offered rewards for information about people smuggling after 15 individuals illegally entered Zhuhai, in southern Guangdong province, by boat from Hong Kong.
It is not clear if they were Hong Kong residents or Chinese nationals attempting to return home from the territory. According to Chinese media reports, at least four of them had Covid-19 and later travelled to other Chinese cities and provinces.
Shanghai health authorities also confirmed on Friday morning that new cases in the city included a Chinese national who had travelled from Hong Kong to Zhuhai on February 13, and then took a high-speed train to Shanghai on February 14.

Fences and other fortifications along Hong Kong’s long land border with Shenzhen, Guangdong’s second-largest city, were originally built to stop illegal immigration from China into the territory. It is also easy to travel by boat between Hong Kong and many cities in Guangdong, whose long coastline and river networks are difficult to police.
If the HK fifth wave outbreak was actually caused by a couple people escaping quarantine, this house of cards is about to fall soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.