Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2022, 3:28 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I have had three quarantine stays at designated HK quarantine hotels and were able to earn hotel nights and points.
And that highlights one glaring difference between how Covid policies are enacted in HK and Mainland China. In HK, quarantine hotels may be designated by the authorities but it's up to the poor old traveller to find availability and book one competitively through the hotel's booking channels... hence HK Bonvoy hotels awarded points and qualifying nights as usual. I cannot speak for the Sanya situation but my experience with a quarantine hotel entering the mainland (specifically the land border from HK in Shenzhen) was that you are billeted to an authority-managed quarantine facility that happens to be a hotel (in my case one of the Glorious Vienna Hotels) that have effectively subcontracted their facilities and rooms to the Greater Good and consequently there were numerous reports of Bonvoy members whose delight at finding themselves in a Bonvoy hotel for quarantine in some major Chinese city turned to abject distress when they discovered they wouldn't be getting points or nights.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 3:29 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by boat stuck
But if you are a tourist, wouldn't you need a place to stay anyways? And you can leave HK as soon as your Chinese visa is issued. Schedule the visa appointment for day 4, pay the expedite fee, pick it up day 5, take a late flight on day 5 or early flight on day 6. You don't need to wait 7 days before leaving.
Sounds slick. What's the reality?
lsquare and gudugan like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Sounds slick. What's the reality?
I would like to know too.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 3:41 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by lsquare
I would like to know too.
Same here.

It sounds great in theory, and completely skips having to deal with the Chinese consulates (no health code needed flying from HK to the mainland).

Just wondering if anyone has spotted a flaw in this proposal, and/or is brave enough to try it.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
But if you are a tourist, wouldn't you need a place to stay anyways? And you can leave HK as soon as your Chinese visa is issued. Schedule the visa appointment for day 4, pay the expedite fee, pick it up day 5, take a late flight on day 5 or early flight on day 6. You don't need to wait 7 days before leaving.
As I said, I am not commenting on "leaving HK". or "going to Mainland". My post was about comparing the difference between 7-day quarantine versus 3+4 newly relaxed requirements.
I cannot comment on getting PRC visa from HK. All I know is that it is not business as usual as before Covid when getting PRC visa in HK was pretthy easy. All I know is most of my local HK colleguages are having difficutlies entering China. Foreign passport holders (non-HK residents) even more challenging, but I have no data point to share other than hearing stories told by my local HK colleagues.

I would suggest you call CITS HK directly and understand the current entry policy for China before deciding whether to make the trip to HK. I hope all work out for you.
moondog, lsquare, narvik and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same here.

It sounds great in theory, and completely skips having to deal with the Chinese consulates (no health code needed flying from HK to the mainland).

Just wondering if anyone has spotted a flaw in this proposal, and/or is brave enough to try it.
Yeah, the flaw is this ain’t gonna happen. Good luck trying though.
moondog and ftrichard like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 5:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Yeah, the flaw is this ain’t gonna happen. Good luck trying though.
I wouldn't give him zero percent odds, but there is no way I could recommend this approach in good conscience to someone without a PRC visa (or people with visas who aren't prepared to spend an extra month in HK)
1. Getting rejected for the visa application is a real possibility, no matter whether or not he meets the requirements because rules change all the time and there is a subjective element to the process that us mere mortals can't control
2. If he does manage to score a flight from HK to Xiamen or wherever, that flight might not actually happen, and Xiamen Airlines doesn't care enough to put him on its next flight (it could be three weeks later anyway)

​​​​​​
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
As I said, I am not commenting on "leaving HK". or "going to Mainland". My post was about comparing the difference between 7-day quarantine versus 3+4 newly relaxed requirements.
I cannot comment on getting PRC visa from HK. All I know is that it is not business as usual as before Covid when getting PRC visa in HK was pretthy easy. All I know is most of my local HK colleguages are having difficutlies entering China. Foreign passport holders (non-HK residents) even more challenging, but I have no data point to share other than hearing stories told by my local HK colleagues.

I would suggest you call CITS HK directly and understand the current entry policy for China before deciding whether to make the trip to HK. I hope all work out for you.
If I test positive at any point during the 3+4 quarantine, I'm assuming I'll be sent to a facility for a minimum of 21 days? Is it possible to book a one-week trip? During those last four days, it seems like I can do most things except for visiting seniors' homes or bars, which hm ok with.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:12 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
If I test positive at any point during the 3+4 quarantine, I'm assuming I'll be sent to a facility for a minimum of 21 days?
Until you test negative, no min period.

Is it possible to book a one-week trip? During those last four days, it seems like I can do most things except for visiting seniors' homes or bars, which hm ok with.
And restaurants. They're thinking of hospitals (where you're not the patient (e.g. a visitor) as well.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith
Until you test negative, no min period.

And restaurants. They're thinking of hospitals (where you're not the patient (e.g. a visitor) as well.
What if I test positive on day 4, but negative by day 10?

No restaurants too? Is this confirmed?
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:29 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
You stay til Day 10

Restaurants are definitely no go for yellow code - any premise where the operator has to check you in is out of bounds.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You stay til Day 10

Restaurants are definitely no go for yellow code - any premise where the operator has to check you in is out of bounds.
What if I have a flight on day 9, but still test positive?
Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by moondog
I wouldn't give him zero percent odds, but there is no way I could recommend this approach in good conscience to someone without a PRC visa (or people with visas who aren't prepared to spend an extra month in HK)
1. Getting rejected for the visa application is a real possibility, no matter whether or not he meets the requirements because rules change all the time and there is a subjective element to the process that us mere mortals can't control
2. If he does manage to score a flight from HK to Xiamen or wherever, that flight might not actually happen, and Xiamen Airlines doesn't care enough to put him on its next flight (it could be three weeks later anyway)

​​​​​​
I may do this if I really need to travel to China in the next few months, if I can get a visa before arriving in HK. Not having to go through the health code process is still a plus, and I do have a few friends in HK I've been wanting to visit. Also, HK-mainland flights are exempt from the circuit breaker system, and still quite a bit cheaper.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I may do this if I really need to travel to China in the next few months, if I can get a visa before arriving in HK. Not having to go through the health code process is still a plus, and I do have a few friends in HK I've been wanting to visit. Also, HK-mainland flights are exempt from the circuit breaker system, and still quite a bit cheaper.
1. Get a China visa in your home country
2. Your reliance on HK-China flights operating is laughable
3. If you want to try to game the lottery system, do so before your trip (I'm guessing $1000 for a consolidated bribe; this includes their mark-up on hotel costs in Zhuhai)
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:39 pm

You stay til Day 10

You can still go into the restaurant for takeaways, colour restrictions only apply for eating-in.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.