Wiki Posts
Search

Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 7:50 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by moondog
How does one drink a beer on the sidewalk (legal, and the only option in many places) while wearing a mask? I realize that an obvious solution to this problem would be banning alcohol consumption on sidewalks, but that doesn't seem likely to me because bar owners have been withholding rent for the past 3 months (they basically claim that they can't pay if they aren't permitted to bring in revenues and you promised me that you had amazing 关系 upon lease signing), and this is not good for the economy. They could also lobby to get Lawson's/FamilyMart shut down as well (for booze sales) because a bar than can only sell through a window on the sidewalk is no different in terms of function.
Legally Club Seven is now a summary offence.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You probably noticed this before you left China, but the trend has picked up steam during the course of the past several weeks.

The idea is to use cell phone photos/video as a means to snitch on people you deem to be running afoul of the regulations. For example, when I was on Wuding Road (sidewalk) the other night (for Crocus Jerry's birthday celebration), some social media influencer dude rode by on a bicycle, took pics of all of us (not wearing masks), and then posted them to WeChat and Weibo along with derogatory comments about "stupid foreigners". We got the posts removed fairly easily, but not before thousands of views occurred. The influencers do this every day. On a similar note, some of my neighbors have installed CCTV cameras on their balconies so they can monitor outside activities 24/7. Their thrill seems to be more limited in scope than the Weibo guys, from what I can tell, because they only post to our community WeChat group. However, they enjoy shaming people using specific apartment numbers (e.g. Please spit on this guy who lives in building 8, 1003 the next time you see him and tell him he is a monster).

I don't think there is a legal requirement to wear masks outside, but it's quite clear these folks are angered by others who don't possess the requisite community spirit.

I suppose I notice the foreigner targeting more than local targeting because I happen to be a foreigner, and the bloggers are fond of places that foreigners are likely to visit, but I'm not willing to proclaim this is a strictly anti-foreigner movement because the vast majority of the targets in my own compound are elderly locals who go outside at 6a to do taichi or smoke cigarettes. That having been said, the notion of disliking foreigners, especially the ones who take their jobs/women, might be undergoing a new growth phase.

In closing, I agree that zero-covid has a strong backing here...and, this has become moblike.
Sounds awesome, so looking forward to ending my trip in EU/US and getting back to somewhere where they snitch on you for not wearing a mask. Can’t wait!
moondog and gudugan like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:06 am

I don't think we need to have a mask discussion.

When Covid was still dangerous (and not even vaccinations were available), too many people in the US/Europe thought it's their choice to ignore mask mandates and spread Covid around at will, killing many in the process.

Do what the rules are, or go somewhere else. Your choice.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
There were Canton fairs in 2021 and 2022 so I don’t know why there wouldn’t be one in 2023.
Not that foreigners could attend. But you knew that!
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MW147
Not that foreigners could attend. But you knew that!
Plenty of foreigners attended those shows. 😁
Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer

When Covid was still dangerous (and not even vaccinations were available), too many people in the US/Europe thought it's their choice to ignore mask mandates and spread Covid around at will, killing many in the process.

Mask wearing remains quite ubiquitous, and I almost always wear one when out and out about. While I'd prefer not to, it's not really a huge inconvenience to me, most indoor venues require them, and I prefer to avoid getting stinkeye from do-gooders, let alone shamed on social media. Then there's the idea that I'd feel genuinely awful if carelessness on my part lead to my entire compound going back into lockdown. An obvious exception is when actively eating/drinking. Some people genuinely frown upon these activities outright. I suppose that's their prerogative, but after two months of eating all meals in my own house, I happen to enjoy eating outside in the company of other people, though I continue to prepare my own food most of the time. In any event, going to restaurants definitely is NOT illegal. The same goes for walking around with an open beer on the street. That's not really my style, but some people seem to derive pleasure from it, and I don't feel it's my right to judge them.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
good to know that there are people who like to call the police when they perceive that someone is breaking the law. Not just in USA :-)

sounds fair to me. If the law says to mask outdoors, then do it. I think it was the rule in my part of USA in 2020 - I definitely have many photos of me wearing a mask outdoors during lots of 2020 and 2021.

How? I’m curious how they did it if they’re buyers. I know there are foreigners living in China who are exhibitors. Granted I guess buying agents that are non-native can also attend. For China fairs I’ve only attended as a buyer.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gaobest
How? I’m curious how they did it if they’re buyers. I know there are foreigners living in China who are exhibitors. Granted I guess buying agents that are non-native can also attend. For China fairs I’ve only attended as a buyer.
I'm guessing buyers have minimal trouble obtaining visas (e.g. PU letters issued by the Fair itself). However, we're talking about substantial money/time commitments.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:01 am

Like Japan, China does not actually have a mask mandate. There are regulations in various places that require masking on entry (e.g., on trains or in malls). However, the main enforcement mechanism is public shaming.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:12 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by tauphi
Like Japan, China does not actually have a mask mandate. There are regulations in various places that require masking on entry (e.g., on trains or in malls). However, the main enforcement mechanism is public shaming.
Oh OK. In HK and Australian states, masks are mandated (or removed from mandate) by means of delegated legislation.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:26 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/02/w...pan-covid.html

Japan’s Secret to Taming the Coronavirus: Peer Pressure

The country has never mandated masks or vaccinations, but it’s evaded the worst of Covid, thanks to a fear of public shaming and the “self restraint police.”
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:52 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I'm guessing buyers have minimal trouble obtaining visas (e.g. PU letters issued by the Fair itself). However, we're talking about substantial money/time commitments.
We were invited to attend virtually or assign a China based agent to represent us. There was no mention of the Fair helping with visas but with staff in China we did not need it. Does anyone know if they actually helped arrange visas? It would be a positive sign if they did.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uanj
We were invited to attend virtually or assign a China based agent to represent us. There was no mention of the Fair helping with visas but with staff in China we did not need it. Does anyone know if they actually helped arrange visas? It would be a positive sign if they did.
If it was anything like the Import Show in Shanghai it was not easy or even possible to get a visa to attend the show.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:25 pm

In person???
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:27 pm

As far as I know there were no visas available for buyers. But it is possible there were special exceptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.