Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2021, 4:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by narvik
Technically, yes. Unfortunately, since my WP is also expiring soon, I have to renew the work permit first, and since my RP is expiring, it means the work permit has be re-applied for from scratch, incl. medical examination, background check, etc. etc., all requiring authentication by the embassy....
Oh, what fun,
I don't know a single person who renewed this year, and was asked to start from scratch.
Old May 11, 2021, 7:15 am

Programs: Air China Phoenix Miles
Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
Im currently living in China with a residence permit and planning to take a 6 week trip back to the US in august. Is there any indication that a vaccine in China or a vaccine in the US will provide any benefit to travel? I’m assuming it’s still going to be a firm “no” but I may sign up for a Pfizer vaccination x2 just in case something changes shortly after.

I am expecting the world to be chaos for international travel for another few years minimum with China being the least likely to end quarantine.
I also live in China, Handan, with a residence permit, want to travel back to the UK in early July to sort out some family business. I've been told by our Public Security Bureau that my only chance to return back to China is if I am fully vaccinated with a Chinese manafactured vaccine, so that is one benefit to travel.....

The Chinese Embassy in London seem's to confirm this...IV) Non-Chinese nationals in the U.K. holding valid Chinese residence permits for work, personal matters and reunion will no longer be affected for entry into China.

2. Please be noted that the above-mentioned visa facilitation applies only to applicants who have been inoculated with COVID-19 vaccines produced in China, having either received two doses of Chinese-made vaccines with the stipulated gap in between, or received a single-dose Chinese-made vaccine at least 14 days prior to the application, and obtained the vaccination certificate.

3. The requirement that personnel intending to travel to China need to present double-negative certificates of nucleic acid and antibody (IgM) tests remains unchanged. The relevant Chinese quarantine policies shall be observed after entering China.

The only problem is, here in Handan there is no policy in place to vaccinate foreigners, we just keep getting fobbed off with wait a while, maybe next week, next week comes and we ask again and get the same answer....So it looks like if I can't get the jabs then I stand the risk of being unable to return to China for quite a while, my wife will not be very happy....
Old May 11, 2021, 8:23 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
I think it's clear to most who read this board regularly, but might be important to repeat (and test / challenge my understanding), that there is a difference between gaining entry in China once you're at the border (i.e., Pudong Airport) vs. at the point of departure.

At the point of departure, it's highly dependent on where you are and local policy. I know from the US you'll need Chinese embassy "permission" to board a flight, and this in turn requires a negative PCR test plus blood antibody tests (with Chinese vaccines possibly helping). These requirements may vary in other countries.

However, once having arrived in China, treatment is pretty much* the same. As Steveb1955 wrote above,

Non-Chinese nationals in the U.K. holding valid Chinese residence permits for work, personal matters and reunion will no longer be affected for entry into China.

Actually it's not just in the UK, it should be anywhere, once you arrive at China's border.

*I say treatment is pretty much the same because as far as I know, you'll be allowed entry and will have to quarantine. The exception is Macau. If you can get into Macau somehow and stay there for 2 weeks, you can enter mainland China without quarantine.
Cryofern likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Are you saying Macau is somewhat of a loophole or is there more to this story? I’d gladly bop around Macau for a few weeks to avoid a China 14 day hotel lockdown. I’ve already been through 2 of those.
Old May 11, 2021, 8:51 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
Are you saying Macau is somewhat of a loophole or is there more to this story? I’d gladly bop around Macau for a few weeks to avoid a China 14 day hotel lockdown. I’ve already been through 2 of those.
AFAIK getting into Macao as a foreign citizen is even stricter than mainland, so it's not really a loophole.
YariGuy and tauphi like this.
Old May 11, 2021, 10:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by steveb1955
I've been told by our Public Security Bureau that my only chance to return back to China is if I am fully vaccinated with a Chinese manafactured vaccine, so that is one benefit to travel.....

The Chinese Embassy in London seem's to confirm this...IV) Non-Chinese nationals in the U.K. holding valid Chinese residence permits for work, personal matters and reunion will no longer be affected for entry into China.

2. Please be noted that the above-mentioned visa facilitation applies only to applicants who have been inoculated with COVID-19 vaccines produced in China, having either received two doses of Chinese-made vaccines with the stipulated gap in between, or received a single-dose Chinese-made vaccine at least 14 days prior to the application, and obtained the vaccination certificate.

3. The requirement that personnel intending to travel to China need to present double-negative certificates of nucleic acid and antibody (IgM) tests remains unchanged. The relevant Chinese quarantine policies shall be observed after entering China.

The only problem is, here in Handan there is no policy in place to vaccinate foreigners, we just keep getting fobbed off with wait a while, maybe next week, next week comes and we ask again and get the same answer....So it looks like if I can't get the jabs then I stand the risk of being unable to return to China for quite a while, my wife will not be very happy....
To be fair, this policy was made before there was any notion that China would approve any foreign vaccines. Since then, it looks like BioNTech (called Pfizer in the rest of the world) will be approved by July at the latest, Chinese media confirms the same. https://www.fiercepharma.com/manufac...y-new-china-jv

Per the quoted announcement Notice on Providing Facilitation for Visa Applicants Inoculated with COVID-19 Vaccines Produced in China, if I'm reading it correctly category IV (residence permit holders) are not applying for visas so it doesn't matter if you have the Chinese vaccine or not.
Old May 11, 2021, 10:47 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Hong Kong is reducing quarantine requirements for vaccinated travellers: https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...1050700821.htm
But think if one goes Hong Kong -> China the normal quarantine procedures apply still
Old May 11, 2021, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by gudugan
Hong Kong is reducing quarantine requirements for vaccinated travellers: https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...1050700821.htm
But think if one goes Hong Kong -> China the normal quarantine procedures apply still
There is still an entry restriction for Hong Kong unless you have a
visa or PR
Old May 11, 2021, 6:55 pm

I also live in China, Handan, with a residence permit, want to travel back to the UK in early July to sort out some family business. I've been told by our Public Security Bureau that my only chance to return back to China is if I am fully vaccinated with a Chinese manafactured vaccine, so that is one benefit to travel.....

I don't think the vaccination requirements apply to you as a residence permit holder. It's only relevant for people with no visas who are trying to get one.
Old May 11, 2021, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
There is still an entry restriction for Hong Kong unless you have a
visa or PR
If you are coming to Hong Kong from a low risk country like Australia/NZ then you may enter without a visa.
Old May 11, 2021, 7:48 pm

Programs: Air China Phoenix Miles
Thanks tauphi...I did start out thinking that as well, but when we visited the PSB they made a phone call and told us that without a Chinese vaccine I would not get the permission to fly back. Not sure what it's like in bigger Chinese cities but here in Handan it's proving very hard to get solid information out of anyone in a position of authority regarding this....
Old May 11, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by maalloc
AFAIK getting into Macao as a foreign citizen is even stricter than mainland, so it's not really a loophole.
That's correct. And even if you enter Macau, you can't just bop around for 2 weeks. The quarantine requirement is actually 3 weeks for most entrants...

Thanks tauphi...I did start out thinking that as well, but when we visited the PSB they made a phone call and told us that without a Chinese vaccine I would not get the permission to fly back. Not sure what it's like in bigger Chinese cities but here in Handan it's proving very hard to get solid information out of anyone in a position of authority regarding this....
The part about getting permission is correct - currently you need a go-ahead from the local Chinese embassy or consulate. I wouldn't give any credence to the Handan PSB though.
Old May 13, 2021, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The bolded is true in any city in China or from any Chinese mission abroad. They don't give firm answers to any questions regarding these issues at the moment. Likely you'd be able to get back in with your RP but it's not guaranteed. The green QR code required for boarding is the wildcard. The embassy in the UK can refuse to give you this green code and you're out of luck no matter what they say in Handan. IMHO the people in Handan have no idea what the embassy in the UK will do so I'd stop asking for info from them and try to start communicating more closely with the embassy in London (if they deign to answer your emails/calls).
Cryofern likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 9:14 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by tauphi
If you are coming to Hong Kong from a low risk country like Australia/NZ then you may enter without a visa.
But only citizens and their immediate family, or existing visa holders can enter Australia, NZ and Singapore
Old May 15, 2021, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by moondog
I don't know a single person who renewed this year, and was asked to start from scratch.

How many of those are in Beijing? (see *)
Apparently (or so I've been told) it would be easier if I were working in Beijing, Chaoyang District, but alas, it's Beijing, Tongzhou District which happens to be the district where much of the govt. is moving to, which is apparently making things even more difficult/stringent.

* It was suggested by China Visa consultants I should just get a work permit in Shanghai to get back to China, as that would be not much more than a formality, but I reckon that won't help me in the long run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.